IGNORED

We are getting a brand new team next season

Squire Dastardly

2 hours ago, Squire Dastardly said:

With the new signings of young upwardly mobile players in this transfer window, we are replacing and reinvigorating what appeared to be a somewhat complacent and tired looking squad from last season. I believe the timing is spot on and while it would be surprising if all of the new guys just slotted in and played brilliantly right from the start, it was the right thing to cash in on the newly acquired fame of Flint and  Reid and shake everything up. 

We need a positive and enthusiastic start and then push on from a mid-table position at Christmas. Oh, and let's not worry too much about the Caraboa peanut cup this year1

Flint and Reid were the better performers throughout the season, we've lost solid performers and goals and the replacements are ............ Fresh faces happen every summer, reports suggest that we have signed inconsistent players to replace solid performers, i.e more punts in the market.

I'll get excited when the proven quality appears on the website to replace these two.

We still have in our squad the ones who didn't turn up after December, will they turn up this season, hope so.

34 minutes ago, Squire Dastardly said:

Pisano was and probably still is a good rb. Time will tell. Personally, I think he deserves a chance to shine and make the position his own. If he doesn't, then things will have to change in January and we will have the cash to enable it.

I am worried how serious the injury was.  We’ll see pre-season.  The demands of pre-season will give us an indication.  Any breakdown, might be the trigger for LJ to look for a replacement.  4 weeks to prove his fitness.  If he does I think we’ll be fine. 

1 minute ago, Davefevs said:

I am worried how serious the injury was.  We’ll see pre-season.  The demands of pre-season will give us an indication.  Any breakdown, might be the trigger for LJ to look for a replacement.  4 weeks to prove his fitness.  If he dies I think we’ll be fine. 

Phew, that's a bit harsh mate. :thumbsup:

2 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

I am worried how serious the injury was.  We’ll see pre-season.  The demands of pre-season will give us an indication.  Any breakdown, might be the trigger for LJ to look for a replacement.  4 weeks to prove his fitness.  If he dies I think we’ll be fine

I don't ....

4 minutes ago, screech said:

Flint and Reid were the better performers throughout the season, we've lost solid performers and goals and the replacements are ............ Fresh faces happen every summer, reports suggest that we have signed inconsistent players to replace solid performers, i.e more punts in the market.

I'll get excited when the proven quality appears on the website to replace these two.

We still have in our squad the ones who didn't turn up after December, will they turn up this season, hope so.

As leading players in the team, Reid, Flint and Bryan  must accept their share of blame for the end of season collapse. Most of the lapses were in defence so my remarks must apply particularly to the latter two. They were involved in leaking 3 goals to Sunderland in the 2nd half and 3 goals to Sheff Utd in the first half. The cup games made them famous and increased their transfer price so I'm not totally ungrateful. Reid has served his time, on loan at Plymouth could not have been easy and he made a big impact at that club. He is an ambitious young man and deserves his chance. He must now impress Warnock. Good Luck!

11 minutes ago, joe jordans teeth said:

Exactly Johnson is on a winner again,he can say we sold our best players if it goes tits up without the fear of the sack but if we finish higher he can take all the credit ,plum job he got down here

Either that or he can't win whatever he does, depending on your point of view....

59 minutes ago, screech said:

Flint was a highly overrated player, his character and status at the club hid many defensive problems. Reid has had one season where he has been a solid performer, can’t really call him that...

2 hours ago, Bar BS3 said:

If we can upgrade Pisano, I think we’ve got a decent looking team. 

With him, it’s like playing with 9 men, as people struggle to make up for his diabolical positioning, lack of tracking runners and general poor play - often disguised by the odd crunching challenge, which cloud people view of just how poor he is at this level. 

I've no idea if we have a "decent looking team" or not.  I don't follow other teams so don't know about these new players, and, I've seen enough OTIB exaggeration not to bother taking the views on here ("Kent is awesome").

But, to be successful this season we absolutely must replace Fielding. With him, all this recruitment is an utter waste.  I don't mean to imply he is a poor goalie. He isn't.  But he has no idea how to distribute the ball and/or start attacks.  The last Belgium goal just scored against Japan is a case in point.  Fielding just can't do anything quickly.  He must go if we want to be decent.

54 minutes ago, JBFC II said:

Flint was a highly overrated player, his character and status at the club hid many defensive problems. Reid has had one season where he has been a solid performer, can’t really call him that...

So Someone called "JBFC II" makes a point and the only like is from someone called "JamesBCFC".  Seems a bit of a coincidence...

4 hours ago, Squire Dastardly said:

With the new signings of young upwardly mobile players in this transfer window, we are replacing and reinvigorating what appeared to be a somewhat complacent and tired looking squad from last season. I believe the timing is spot on and while it would be surprising if all of the new guys just slotted in and played brilliantly right from the start, it was the right thing to cash in on the newly acquired fame of Flint and  Reid and shake everything up. 

We need a positive and enthusiastic start and then push on from a mid-table position at Christmas. Oh, and let's not worry too much about the Caraboa peanut cup this year1

Agree other than the cup run, i will never forget the night we beat ManU at Ashton Gate or my trip to Man City, football has room for a little romance

We all, and LJ knew full well that several of our higher profile players would be moving on this summer. So far Flint and BR have gone and LJ has been rebuilding the squad - probably starting his recruiting as far back as last January

Fans were distraught after Tammy went but City coped with Reid popping up with over 20 goals and no doubt LJ will be looking to replace those goals.  Famara could well be the answer - his goals per game last season was pretty damn good.

Flint - great bloke but limited footballer. Webster according Tractor Boys is very decent CB. Add to that Watkins who will hopefully provide the ammo.

Bryan looks like he's off - Kelly an obvious replacement at LB.

My only real worry is if Pack goes. He'd be very difficult to replace. There are very few defensive midfielders around.

By and large Im confident that LJ knows what he's doing but rebuilding a squad  could be a new experience for him but so far so good.................:fingerscrossed:

One man's 'young and upwardly mobile' appears to be the same man's 'to be loaned out as a development opportunity' - or in my opinion,  'unlikely ever to make the grade.'

We're not Chelsea for Christ's sake but we do have a great chant next year: "We've got Taylor-Moore, Are you sure? I think he's now just left the revolving door, Everybody reckoned he was poor...." Ad Nauseum

Here's a radical idea, buy players good enough to play now and leave development to the expensive academy we've been touting for decades.

3 hours ago, slartibartfast said:

So why does he keep saying it every post-match?

Because like wingers he's a surfeit of bon mots:

"It's about small percentages" (as I said to the wife in bed last night when she bemoaned disappointing performance ...)

"He does unbelievable things in training," ( yet lets me down every week when I pick him....")

4 hours ago, Bar BS3 said:

If we can upgrade Pisano, I think we’ve got a decent looking team. 

With him, it’s like playing with 9 men, as people struggle to make up for his diabolical positioning, lack of tracking runners and general poor play - often disguised by the odd crunching challenge, which cloud people view of just how poor he is at this level. 

I thought Italians were supposed to be good at defending

9 hours ago, Squire Dastardly said:

We shall have to wait and see; there were perhaps hundreds of posts last season ruminating the fact that the majority of the best performers were pre Johnson signings; 2 of those have gone, Bryan seemingly on his way so what we have to hope for is that O'Dowda, Brownhill and Famara continue to improve and the newer signings bed in well. The omens look about 50:50 I would say at the moment.

7 hours ago, BTRFTG said:

One man's 'young and upwardly mobile' appears to be the same man's 'to be loaned out as a development opportunity' - or in my opinion,  'unlikely ever to make the grade.'

We're not Chelsea for Christ's sake but we do have a great chant next year: "We've got Taylor-Moore, Are you sure? I think he's now just left the revolving door, Everybody reckoned he was poor...." Ad Nauseum

Here's a radical idea, buy players good enough to play now and leave development to the expensive academy we've been touting for decades.

That’s exactly what it looks like we ARE doing..!

8 hours ago, BTRFTG said:

Erm, I think you're kinda missing the point here...........

City have already signed three players 'ready' to push for a starting place come August 4th. It's very likely that we're going to see more signings as well, possibly this week as LJ goes about rebuilding the squad.

When/if Bryan goes that'll increase the war chest even more.

Exciting times ahead I reckon.

9 hours ago, BTRFTG said:

yea because reid and bryan never made the grade as young and up coming players going out on loan.......oh wait

18 minutes ago, Monkeh said:

yea because reid and bryan never made the grade as young and up coming players going out on loan.......oh wait

Oh, the Reid that spent 8 very but part wilderness years prior to turning in a good half season. Bryan had a very short spell recovering at Plymouth and I think may have had a fitness month early in his career at Bath, so not exact long-term development loans. And who else, go on who else? Funny every time we're short of stock (laughable given the numbers lurking in the cupboard) we go to the market and buy, presumably because we don't rate what we have. Two young 'uns who put in decent turns at Watford in the Cup only to be banished? Only one game but are they really going to learn more at Solihull Moors than with us?

How many did we have out on loan last term? How many had we paid good money for? Did they set the lower leagues slight or were most of the reports from their clubs, er, less than complementary?

So we've 'retained' yet another who's going to learn all that Rotherham can teach him, really? That's a model for success?

12 hours ago, Davefevs said:

I have a different view, based on the player who started the season, not the one rushed back from a career threatening injury.  If he gets back to the fitness and confidence of the start of 17/18, I think we have a decent RB.  If his injury has knocked something off him, then we need to bring in a replacement.

I saw a RB who sensed danger, covered round the back of Flint, won back stick headers (a common weakness of full-backs against the cross to the far post), was brave.  On the ball I saw someone with a good first touch, able to manipulate the ball into position for the next touch.  Much as I loved Litts, his touch was heavy in comparison.

Think he’d be a danger in the opposition box too.

But all about opinions.  I sometimes look at a player and think (Had I been good enough - I wasn’t) would I have like them alongside me in a back 4.  Pisano (early 17/18) was one I put a tick against.

Thank you. I honestly can’t remember too much about early Pisano in detail but don’t think he was too bad. Pisano after injury was another thing though. No doubt he will be monitored closely pre season but with the transfer window shutting before we have kicked a ball properly this season we got to be sure all players are in place and be as ready as we can be or there is little option until January ( yes obviously injuries might happen, and the odd suspension). Maybe Bailey Wright , who didn’t do a bad job on the whole, might have to play there again.

25 minutes ago, RedM said:

Thank you. I honestly can’t remember too much about early Pisano in detail but don’t think he was too bad. Pisano after injury was another thing though. No doubt he will be monitored closely pre season but with the transfer window shutting before we have kicked a ball properly this season we got to be sure all players are in place and be as ready as we can be or there is little option until January ( yes obviously injuries might happen, and the odd suspension). Maybe Bailey Wright , who didn’t do a bad job on the whole, might have to play there again.

The period between the ‘early’ Window closing and the ‘loan’ window closing will see teams scrambling to cover injuries and also picking up out of contract players.

Archived