IGNORED

England vs Colombia : Official Matchday Thread

Selred

How’s everyone feeling this morning?

Personally I feel sick with nerves. Got my 1986 shirt on, listened to Three Lions about 6 times already this morning. 

Its been a superb tournament to date, let’s hope tonight continues that! 

This seems to be the year of the underdog and the football world's minnows...

... so we've got a chance!   :)

32 minutes ago, Bar BS3 said:

I had a dream last night....! 

36C65F97-FF6B-430A-BD73-1CB108B8F2EF.jpeg

So did I!  :)

( apologies, but just to brighten the morning a little)

ola 09.36.09.jpg

Certainly think we have the best chance we’ve possibly had since ‘90. Watching Japan last night I think they would have caused us a lot of problems. If Rodriguez is not fully it has to be a huge boost for England.

Interesting to see if Southgate sticks with Sterling, expect Ali to come back into team 

I like that there's a bit more optimism, but I wish the pundits would stop tossing themselves off over how good we look in this campaign.

Sure, we qualified well, but more often than not we quality well. So far, we've scraped a victory against a defensive, but ultimately weak team. We trounced relative minnows in Panama, and celebrated like it was beating Brazil. Then, our second-string lost to the second-string of a strong, but relatively unproven team, under a manager who isn't well-known for being able to defend against good teams.

It's the best draw we've had for a while, but let's not pretend that we're favourites (like the BBC were trying to suggest last night). If we don't beat Colombia then I'd say Southgate is out of a job. Depending on if we beat Colombia, and how we manage against them, will dictate the rest of the tournament for us.

I think 2-0 England but with a few hair raising moments in defence for us. This is certainly the best chance we will have for many years to come in my opinion. Sterling will start im sure, even though he looked awful against the worst team in the tournament. 

2 minutes ago, EnderMB said:

I like that there's a bit more optimism, but I wish the pundits would stop tossing themselves off over how good we look in this campaign.

Sure, we qualified well, but more often than not we quality well. So far, we've scraped a victory against a defensive, but ultimately weak team. We trounced relative minnows in Panama, and celebrated like it was beating Brazil. Then, our second-string lost to the second-string of a strong, but relatively unproven team, under a manager who isn't well-known for being able to defend against good teams.

It's the best draw we've had for a while, but let's not pretend that we're favourites (like the BBC were trying to suggest last night). If we don't beat Colombia then I'd say Southgate is out of a job. Depending on if we beat Colombia, and how we manage against them, will dictate the rest of the tournament for us.

I bet he wont be.

Nervous as get passed tonight and you really have to fancy a place in the final - certainly win tonight and we will be favourites to get there in our half of the draw -which will ramp up the pressure of course.

2 minutes ago, RUSSEL85 said:

I think 2-0 England but with a few hair raising moments in defence for us. This is certainly the best chance we will have for many years to come in my opinion. Sterling will start im sure, even though he looked awful against the worst team in the tournament. 

I bet he wont be.

Sterling is probably due a few good games now. When he's on form he's excellent. Hopefully it's tonight. Rodriguez not being 100% fit is massive for us, their game relies on him.

4 minutes ago, EnderMB said:

If we don't beat Colombia then I'd say Southgate is out of a job.

He won’t be. Here’s here for the next Euros, and rightly so. 

He has brought an identity, brought young players through, and needs a few year to get the team in shape. 

Almost sounded like LJ then!

This one makes me nervous for one reason, Cuadrado's pace is going to be terrifying vs Maguire in that left centre back role. This is the hardest of our route to the final for me. If we win this one the wind will be in our sails against the teams in the next few rounds. 

1 minute ago, marcofisher said:

This one makes me nervous for one reason, Cuadrado's pace is going to be terrifying vs Maguire in that left centre back role. This is the hardest of our route to the final for me. If we win this one the wind will be in our sails against the teams in the next few rounds. 

Agree. Colombia a harder proposition than Croatia, who are massively overhyped IMO. Take out the one game against the truly awful Argentina and they’ve been really average. 

Like others I feel sick to the pit of my stomach. Colombia are a fantastic team who will play off the leash. Just hope (and think) that we will try and match them fire with fire. Whatever happens though, we are the youngest team left in the competition and I am excited about the future so that is only positive (and yes I will still think that if we lose!). It’s been brilliant. 

I think we are, rightly, concerned about them.. but they've got plenty to think about with us.

Kane - One of the most dangerous forwards left in the competition

Sterling - Yet to hit his best form, his pace and skill will be very difficult to play against when he does

Lingard - Potential match winner. Seems to have that x-factor and also a great habit of popping up with important goals.

Alli - Similar to Sterling, hasn't shown his best form yet and had a few niggles.. very important player for us if he's back and firing.

Trippier - his delivery has been excellent all world cup and is a real danger.

Off the bench there's Vardy and Rashford's pace too which will worry teams.

We've got plenty for them to think about. 

I believe we are the better team man for man.. I would really love us to do it. :englandflag: 

I just hope we go at them from the start , a bit like Liverpool blow them away in the first 30 minutes.

Can never understand if we get kick off why we  spend a couple of minutes passing it backwards and sideways then inevitabley hoof it into touch, get it in the box as soon as possible  and don't let them settle.

Play to our strengths fast pacey attacks.

45 minutes ago, downendcity said:

ola 09.36.09.jpg

I meant to add that I had to cut my dream short in order to prepare for the England game tonight!

I just can sustain the fast paced pressing game these days. :)

2 minutes ago, Abraham Romanovich said:

I just hope we go at them from the start , a bit like Liverpool blow them away in the first 30 minutes.

Can never understand if we get kick off why we  spend a couple of minutes passing it backwards and sideways then inevitabley hoof it into touch, get it in the box as soon as possible  and don't let them settle.

Play to our strengths fast pacey attacks.

100%

1 hour ago, Bar BS3 said:

I had a dream last night....! 

36C65F97-FF6B-430A-BD73-1CB108B8F2EF.jpeg

50 minutes ago, downendcity said:

ola 09.36.09.jpg

5 minutes ago, Abraham Romanovich said:

Funnily enough that was my suggestion to Ola in my dream! :laughcont:

I did think that 30 minutes was a bit overoptimistic though.

Archived