IGNORED

England vs Colombia : Official Matchday Thread

Selred

3 minutes ago, Portland Bill said:

Think because it wasn’t a straight on head, but rather more the side of his head into the chest, meant he got away with it.

Could have been a red though, I think our players now realise the magnitude of the game. It’s all about being streetwise now.

You can bet your bottom dollar that if the roles were reversed, and an England defender had done tat to the Colombian defender, the England player would get a red card.

Clattenberg just made a good point. In this case it seems that the yellow card decision was made by the VAR team, whereas Clattenberg said it would have been better for VAR to draw the refs attention to the incident so he can review it at the side of the pitch i.e. the ref didn't really know what the incident was.

Also agree with the posts about the 2 challenges on Sterling. The one where he was being held was a penalty , and the other was  where the Colombian defender blatantly pushed Sterling off the ball as he was trying to get the ball before it went over the byeline.

I was all for the use of technology to avoid wrong decisions, but having seen it isn use in this WC I am now very sceptical. Seems there is too much opportunity for "favourable bias" to come in to play i.e. some teams get the rub of the green, others ( i.e. us) not getting anything even when clearly justified. It also seems that there is huge variation on interpretation so the human judgement of referees can be questionable when they have a chance ti change a decision when given the chance to review an incident at the side of the pitch. 

Just seen the Colombian throw himself to the ground with little or no contact from Jordan Henderson - makes me spit feathers!!!!!!!!!

8 minutes ago, Slack Bladder said:

I think the VAR man was caught out while watching Love Island on his other screen

****** up on both counts then!

5 minutes ago, downendcity said:

You can bet your bottom dollar that if the roles were reversed, and an England defender had done tat to the Colombian defender, the England player would get a red card.

Clattenberg just made a good point. In this case it seems that the yellow card decision was made by the VAR team, whereas Clattenberg said it would have been better for VAR to draw the refs attention to the incident so he can review it at the side of the pitch i.e. the ref didn't really know what the incident was.

Also agree with the posts about the 2 challenges on Sterling. The one where he was being held was a penalty , and the other was  where the Colombian defender blatantly pushed Sterling off the ball as he was trying to get the ball before it went over the byeline.

I was all for the use of technology to avoid wrong decisions, but having seen it isn use in this WC I am now very sceptical. Seems there is too much opportunity for "favourable bias" to come in to play i.e. some teams get the rub of the green, others ( i.e. us) not getting anything even when clearly justified. It also seems that there is huge variation on interpretation so the human judgement of referees can be questionable when they have a chance ti change a decision when given the chance to review an incident at the side of the pitch. 

Just seen the Colombian throw himself to the ground with little or no contact from Jordan Henderson - makes me spit feathers!!!!!!!!!

Agreed, it’s simple now though, we are at the stage where it’s win at all costs.

Archived