IGNORED

England vs Colombia : Official Matchday Thread

Selred

3 hours ago, cidercity1987 said:

I was there for 2 games, despite what the media might say the Russians were definitely supporting us in the main

not sure about the other 2 games, if you were there obviously you are in a better position to judge, but last night it felt like practically the whole stadium were behind Colombia.

I was weir

2 hours ago, EmissionImpossible said:

I’m really enjoying this World Cup but I was trying to put my finger on why there seems to be such a lack of quality. It’s bizarre. Compared to previous world cups there just doesn’t seem to be the amount of good players involved, Messi and Ronaldo are both unbelievable but that tier just below them really doesn’t have too many players in. Of course it could just be the tactics or out of form players etc but it does seem odd

A theory that comes to mind - which could be complete bollocks - is that the game is changing in a way where it is less about individual brilliance and more about team ethics and pulling off a game plan. You could make an argument that Argentina, Portugal and even Brazil have struggled for fluency during the tournament due to the fact there is one exceptional player the other players seem to rely on. The teams that are succeeding are functioning as units rather than individuals so fewer players stand out.

Reflecting on last night; during extra time the Colombians played a neat passing game and looked threatening. Perhaps if they had done that from the start instead of the heavy stuff, they might have won.

Interesting comment on Radio 2 this morning. A Columbian was booked for head butting an English player as that was foul play. Why therefore was a penalty not awarded?

13 minutes ago, pillred said:

not sure about the other 2 games, if you were there obviously you are in a better position to judge, but last night it felt like practically the whole stadium were behind Colombia.

30,000 Columbians but only 2,000 England fans in the stadium according to one TV channel this morning.

4 minutes ago, 22A said:

Reflecting on last night; during extra time the Colombians played a neat passing game and looked threatening. Perhaps if they had done that from the start instead of the heavy stuff, they might have won.

Interesting comment on Radio 2 this morning. A Columbian was booked for head butting an English player as that was foul play. Why therefore was a penalty not awarded?

Could of been a red but as the game was not in play it couldn't of been a penalty.

23 minutes ago, LondonBristolian said:

I was weir

A theory that comes to mind - which could be complete bollocks - is that the game is changing in a way where it is less about individual brilliance and more about team ethics and pulling off a game plan. You could make an argument that Argentina, Portugal and even Brazil have struggled for fluency during the tournament due to the fact there is one exceptional player the other players seem to rely on. The teams that are succeeding are functioning as units rather than individuals so fewer players stand out.

The teams with the least egos in it are coming through

45 minutes ago, Super said:

Sounds like Vardy was injured which was why he didn't take a penalty. Likely to miss Sweden game.

Groin strain - going to impede him greatly with his reliance on bursts of pace

Thankfully Kane produced one of the best demonstrations of a No 9 performance that I’ve seen for England

1 minute ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

Thankfully Kane produced one of the best demonstrations of a No 9 performance that I’ve seen for England

I was really impressed with his ability to draw a foul without the need of diving etc. He knew exactly how to position himself to get the other player to foul him.

3 minutes ago, Up The City! said:

I’m baffled as to why all these poorer countries have such large followings? And yet ours is so poor? 

We were just having this discussion in work :laugh:. 50,000 Colombians in Russia. Impressive stuff for a so-say developing nation just leaving the grips of the narco state/civil war era.

I’m baffled as to why all these poorer countries have such large followings? And yet ours is so poor? 

Putin probably had them brought in for next to nothing, our present political situtation with Russia sent the message we were not going to attend in masses.

2 minutes ago, Up The City! said:

I was really impressed with his ability to draw a foul without the need of diving etc. He knew exactly how to position himself to get the other player to foul him.

Dropped deep or wide when we needed him - first touch brilliant , held the ball up and won us numerous free kicks

Ice cool , totally professional and nerves of steel - maturity beyond his years

What a role model for young footballers

Think many thought us mad UTC when we were pleased we went behind to Belgium

Not sure many would argue now ;)

52 minutes ago, Super said:

Sounds like Vardy was injured which was why he didn't take a penalty. Likely to miss Sweden game.

5 minutes ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

I really like Vardy. His pace is obvious but his first touch is brilliant, and that together makes him so dangerous.

Kane was absolutely awesome last night. Lead the line but also dropped back into a MF area filing a hole where our MF should have been. He manages to show enough of the ball to make defenders interested, yet far enough away so they can't nick it. Read some where he is the most fouled forward at the World Cup.

55 minutes ago, 22A said:

Surely a head butt is a red card ? 

I thought that the ref bottled it for this incident .

47 minutes ago, Up The City! said:

No visa restrictions for any south American countries. For anyone from Europe there is.

15 minutes ago, Major Isewater said:

Surely a head butt is a red card ? 

I thought that the ref bottled it for this incident .

VAR, sorted that one out. Apparently the rule says contact below the neck is a yellow, what they ignored was the movement upwards. They should have asked the Ref to take a look, I think he might have gone then. There is still a disconnect between VAR and the Refs, I think they are reluctant to get the Ref to review on screen as it takes time, one of the major (not you) criticisms of VAR. 
Shocking decision whatever way you look at it.

57 minutes ago, Up The City! said:

Mix of reasons IMO.

• Pre tournament scare stories about Russia and hooligans running riot could well have put a fair few off.
  • In South America the rich are very rich e.g. Brazil, they will be rich South Americans, like elite rich, Africans and the like in Russia.
  • Just general negative perceptions of Russia maybe (boring country, stodgy, ex Soviet so why bother).

Also what @Spoons said about visas.

4 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Mix of reasons IMO.

• Pre tournament scare stories about Russia and hooligans running riot could well have put a fair few off.
  • In South America the rich are very rich e.g. Brazil, they will be rich South Americans, like elite rich, Africans and the like in Russia.
  • Just general negative perceptions of Russia maybe (boring country, stodgy, ex Soviet so why bother).

Also what @Spoons said about visas.

Not sure about the visa thing.

As long as you have a ticket for a match you can get a special visa for the tournament which is free.

http://realrussia.co.uk/Info/WorldCup2018/Visa

Archived