IGNORED

JET finally released by QPR

6 hours ago, spudski said:

JET has all the natural ability of a gifted footballer...unfortunately it's gift wrapped in the body of a Boxer.

Regardless of how much he trained and was disciplined...his body couldn't cope with the fast pace of league football over a season.

If games lasted 40 mins...he'd be ok imo.

It's purely down to his body.

He obviously realises this...how frustrating it must be, to know you have all that talent, but however much you trained, you'd never have the body to succeed at a good level...how soul destroying. No wonder he's let his mind wander and become more interested in other activities.

6 hours ago, Cowshed said:

I made that point before. He is a odd shape for a football player. His body shape is more mesomorph than ecto/endo as most football players are.

He must have worked insanely hard to become as skilful as he is, that skill is the result if endless intense practice and that body will always hold him back. He may be as skilful as he is because of his limitations, due to always having to work harder at that aspect of football to keep on par with individuals who were physically better suited to football.

Ditto, said the same....built like an American Footballer with built in shoulder pads.

I think fair play to him for forging a career of sorts in pro-football, must’ve been difficult to train to the levels needed.  Great skills, and virtually impossible to stop when he got going.

A player who we saw the absolute best of while he was here. A joy to watch (most of the time).

How can you not love a player who, when he got the ball, you genuinely had no idea what was going to happen and when it did it made you stand there with your mouth open amazed at what you`d just seen.

3 hours ago, Red Right Hand said:

A player who we saw the absolute best of while he was here. A joy to watch (most of the time).

How can you not love a player who, when he got the ball, you genuinely had no idea what was going to happen and when it did it made you stand there with your mouth open amazed at what you`d just seen.

Stand being the operative word. I remember standing in the Williams stand with others just tracking JET and the ball. I'd just like to thank him for those moments,  fleeting though they were, where  you could just sit/stand and admire a raw natural talent.

3 hours ago, Phileas Fogg said:

Endomorph? Can't think of many players I'd describe as that. Rugby players maybe.

Good spot. Typo. Footballers are generally meso/ecto. And Jay Emmanuel- Thomas borders the body shape of being a bit of a unit (endomorphic bulk). Jay Emmanuel- Thomas certainly did not look like he was built to run all day.

One of those you are never likely to forget, even after many years have elapsed (rather like me still thinking of Jantzen Derrick as one of the most naturally gifted players I've seen at AG after more than half a century has passed since those days) - and regardless of the fact that he was only here for a relatively short time. A truly wonderful player on his day: not even 'Jacky' or Andy Cole, or any one of a number of others one could name in that bracket, would have surpassed him for pure ability. Looks like that's him done this time, though, to all intents and purposes. Sadly, football is littered with similar examples of rare talent ultimately wasted. What a crying shame.

I can't understand what happened to him. When he joined us in League 1 any non-City fans that watched us all said the same thing - JET is too good for League 1.

I think we all knew that he didn't have the footballer mentality. He spent a lot of time and energy on his brand and identity, all while being a third-division midfielder. That shit might fly if you're a hot-shot at Arsenal, but if you're in a struggling Bristol City side then you look like a fool. My guess is that his move to QPR after a good two years with us made him think it was his ticket to the big time, and the manager took offence to that - probably why he barely played for them, and hasn't played at all this season.

He's at the prime of his career, and around 27-28 you've usually got one big transfer left in you. He should have spent his time knuckling down, trying to force his way into the QPR side, or at least making enough noise to showcase himself on loan, but he decided he'd rather be a DJ.

It's good to see that he's trying to regain his fitness again to try and get back into football. It shows that he's got whatever footballing frustration he had out of his system, and that he's matured enough to realise that he's got enough talent to have another go at it. Hell, if he'd take a low-pay contract I'd have him back at Bristol City for a year to at least show he can play at this level, with an option of another to sell him if he shows any promise. He needs to show something, because I doubt even MLS in America would take him, and that's basically the guys dream move at this time.

One of the few players that I have seen where he would do something so amazing and yet so effortlessly, you would be thinking "this game must be easier than I think" 

Such a lovely guy too, everyone at Portishead Football Club still talks about how great he was with the fans at the community game there. Imagine what his "GIFS" would have been like! :) 

On 04/07/2018 at 23:09, alexukhc said:

Better than Jacki

Absolutely, every day of the week.

Incredibly gifted, yet not selfish.

During the dismal times under SOD (who deserves great credit for signing him) he was literally the only thing that was worth watching.

The promotion season afterwards he was a vital squad player.

He also scored the best goal in a derby I have seen (and I’ve been watching them since ‘74)..

1 minute ago, GrahamC said:

Absolutely, every day of the week.

Incredibly gifted, yet not selfish.

During the dismal times under SOD (who deserves great credit for signing him) he was literally the only thing that was worth watching.

The promotion season afterwards he was a vital squad player.

He also scored the best goal in a derby I have seen (and I’ve been watching them since ‘74)..

Wasn't there a point in the season where he had either assisted for or scored almost every goal we scored? And there were people on here suggesting he should be dropped because he didn't tackle back enough!!  :whistle:

41 minutes ago, Port Said Red said:

Wasn't there a point in the season where he had either assisted for or scored almost every goal we scored? And there were people on here suggesting he should be dropped because he didn't tackle back enough!!  :whistle:

Tracked back a plenty, for someone so big he was quite fast and wasn’t afraid to tackle, loved JET

16 minutes ago, Bs4Red said:

Good L1/L2 player looked an absolute world beater but in the championship got found out by the pace and intensity of the league. Nothing new he’s a bit of a journey man for a reason... 

Not sure about that at all. He's never played in L2 for a start.

It was in the Championship where, as a teenager, he tore us to shreds with Doncaster. In the right system, and if he's in the right frame of mind - I think he could excel at this level too.

2 hours ago, Phileas Fogg said:

It was in the Championship where, as a teenager, he tore us to shreds with Doncaster. In the right system, and if he's in the right frame of mind - I think he could excel at this level too.

To be fair a fat Neville southall could of torn us to shreds that day

6 hours ago, Phileas Fogg said:

I was talking about now and in my opinion mate struggled in Championship. Long time ago when he was at Doncaster now mate

On 04/07/2018 at 12:24, spudski said:

JET has all the natural ability of a gifted footballer...unfortunately it's gift wrapped in the body of a Boxer.

Regardless of how much he trained and was disciplined...his body couldn't cope with the fast pace of league football over a season.

If games lasted 40 mins...he'd be ok imo.

It's purely down to his body.

He obviously realises this...how frustrating it must be, to know you have all that talent, but however much you trained, you'd never have the body to succeed at a good level...how soul destroying. No wonder he's let his mind wander and become more interested in other activities.

I think it's entirely down to his mind. He doesn't enjoy playing.

Archived