IGNORED

Welcome Jack Hunt - Now officially signed

46 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Good post A :clap:

Yes, and it could also be that last season’s improved position gave LJ more confidence (and clout) to have more control.  Not easy when you’re struggling in the lower reaches of the division.

I also think that LJ might realise that after the dire first half of the season 2 year's ago, and last season's second half slump, he cannot afford a poor start to the coming season.

Losing established players like BR, AF and probably JB means he cannot afford to be blooding untried/relatively inexperienced players, so he has sensibly looked for more established players to give a good level of experience to balance our still pretty young squad.

I also think that @Port Said Red is right in saying this is an evolution in our transfer policy, rather than a revolution. The fees received from sales enables us to afford ( both fees and wages) the level of player we perhaps could not financially consider even 12 months ago.

10 hours ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

LJ has specifically said he puts names forward personally for the data base.

No doubt MA does too - so the scouts, the analysts, MA and LJ will all be involved in compiling it to a greater or lesser extent. 

When a particular position needs filling MA's primary job at this stage is surely to whittle it down with investigtions as to character/financial demands. .

Are you implying MA was so thorough in his ruling out of potential signings ( for those character or financial reasons) that LJ felt he was left with a meagre choice of either inappropriate players, or too much of a gamble, so LJ has more control now so he's left with a better final choice?

Things are bound to be different in this window than previously btw, with a different type of more complete player targeted - we've got several first team positions to fill and 20m to play with.

Hi Noggers. 

I don’t think any of us know ‘exactly’ how the process works, and certainly what will be said in public by LJ & MA will of course align - they’re well prepped these days to not give any impression of fissures. 

But the one thing that I can say with absolute 100% certainty is that in a recruitment meeting in May, LJ expressed his desire for “more control”, and made clear that he would get this, and that there’d be a toning down of the “Swedish experiement”. 

To me, and my snippets of knowledge from the inside (and no, sources will not be revealed), what I have presented in the posts above is as close to the truth as we are likely to know. 

24 minutes ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

So I’ve got this clear ......

The good signings are Lees

The failures and disasters are Ashton’s....

Is that it 

:juggle:

Ha ha. Come come now Bob Bob. 

“I’d like to think I have enough experience in this league,” he added. "I’ve been involved in two near misses to the Premier League in the last few years and I don’t want that experience again.

At least he won't have to worry about that for a while.......

1 minute ago, Bristol Rob said:

I'm sure our shirt sponsors will be thrilled with that photo.

Maybe only had the junior shirt in stock, the one with Robins on. Covered it nicely in that case, new stock due in soon ? :thumbsup:

21 minutes ago, slartibartfast said:

just happy to be here !

Cheered up a bit later .... 

Screen Shot 2018-07-06 at 10.38.57.png

1 hour ago, BRISTOL86 said:

I think that’s called ‘toeing the party line’. 

It’s been evident for ages that there’s players here that Johnson clearly doesn’t want. And something has certainlty changed going by our recruitment this summer to date. 

Well, we've got an unprecedented pot of cash from outgoings and several first team positions that require immediate filling by Championship ready players. That may not be the whole story but to me would go a long way to explaining the evident change in policy.

10 minutes ago, Harry said:

Hi Noggers. 

I don’t think any of us know ‘exactly’ how the process works, and certainly what will be said in public by LJ & MA will of course align - they’re well prepped these days to not give any impression of fissures. 

But the one thing that I can say with absolute 100% certainty is that in a recruitment meeting in May, LJ expressed his desire for “more control”, and made clear that he would get this, and that there’d be a toning down of the “Swedish experiement”. 

To me, and my snippets of knowledge from the inside (and no, sources will not be revealed), what I have presented in the posts above is as close to the truth as we are likely to know. 

Hi Harry, I suppose it's what exactly is meant by 'more control' and how it shows itself in practice, and I can see the sense in your earlier explanation.

We know LJ has said he puts names forward to the list, that he watches targets personally, and, he says, he always has the final say.

The way you describe the analysts input above, and how it may have altered to working after specific targets have been identified by LJ and others rather than targets often being identified through stats makes the utmost sense and you wonder, if it has changed, why it hasn't always been that way. If this is where LJ has recently asserted himself, and MA and the analysts has taken more of a back seat early in the process, that sounds all well and good.

Of course, with the money we now have burning a hole in the club's pocket it may be that less risky targets like Weimann/Watkins/Hunt, are more available to us now anyway (and needed urgently for the first team) whereas before we had a reasonably strong first 11 and we were often padding out the squad with potential future replacements for these very players - some now gone - and those type of signings carry more risk than the current ones.

When I go on about LJ's words that he has the final say it is not meant to be a criticism or a stick to beat him with - unless he's making it up because I'd find that annoying - but if he truly does then he must take both the credit for the successful signings as well as the brickbats for the odd duffer, which is probably as he would want it and how it should be. 

From what you say, with your reasonable explanation of 'more control' we appear in a far better place behind the scenes to make successful signings of the more proven type we are currently making, and obviously having the cash to get several ready made Championship standard players will also have played a part in what appears to be a very positive tweak in strategy.

Archived