IGNORED

Win the World Cup or win a major club trophy?

BCFCGav

Whilst I would be overjoyed ( say hello Joy ) for England to win the World Cup it is City for me every time .

52 years of ' hurt is nothing compared to over a hundred years of not winning a major trophy.

The World Cup has lost it's exoticism as most of the players play in the Prem or top European leagues and we see them on a regular basis on the telly.

I’m just not as invested in the result where England are concerned, I’ve never gone to watch a game, I haven’t spent the large majority of my life contemplating the England team and I certainly wouldn’t seek out an England fans forum online. City all the way for me, World Cups and European Championships are enjoyable to a certain extent but a team you have grown up supporting, week in, week out takes precedence.

I think I’d take the FA Cup over the World Cup. 

But the reality is, England winning the World Cup is the more likely. And as much as i don’t want to get ahead of myself, we’re never going to have a better chance of winning the World Cup than now. 

13 hours ago, Taunton_BCFC said:

World Cup everytime!! Look what it’s like at the moment!! Imagine if we win Saturday, imagine a semi final then maybe a final! The whole country would be buzzing!!

Couldn't agree more. World Cup all day, something to share with the whole nation and brings us all together.

Following the Colombia win on Tuesday I got a glimpse of what England would be like if we won it: North Street full of people hugging strangers, drinking on the street, cars driving past blaring 3 Lions waving flags, it would be absolutely amazing.

It has to be England.

I've never been as emotionally invested in games as I do when it's the World Cup.

That being said I've usually had a few beers while watching the World cup games so that might have something to do with it.

What ever happens between now and July 15th this World Cup for me has a real Italia 90 feel. Italia 90 got me into football. The platt goal, The Q final and the heartache of July 4th 1990 will all live with me forever. I think this World Cup will be he same to youngsters for once the England team had the feel of a club team total togetherness!! And if we win the thing or at least get to the final!! Wow

I think it's two different questions with two different answers. Bristol City winning the League would win more to me personally whilst the atmosphere created by England winning the world cup would be utterly incredible to witness and be a part of.

In the same way, my favourite gig is either - depending on what mood I'm in - seeing Mercury Rev play Deserter's Songs in full because I loved that album as a teenager or Pulp's first comeback show in 2011 because it was a ridiculously euphoric evening of drunken people singing at the tops of their voices - I think there's a difference between what would make you most emotional and what would you most euphoric. If England won the World Cup I'd jump about and sing. If Bristol City won a major trophy I'd probably cry. It depends which emotion you're after!

On 05/07/2018 at 10:04, Up The City! said:

Winning the World Cup would be amazing for this country as a whole. Already people who have no interest in football are suddenly interested.

And they’ll no doubt be uninterested again once it’s over. True loyalty lies at Club level which will always beat country for me. 

Archived