IGNORED

Smith against Man U or Dier penalty?

Danwal

Difficult to compare the two as emotions were different.

Diers goal was like the exorcising of some evil football spirit that sits mockingly on the shoulder of every England football player and fan. I didn't shed a tear though with Dier's goal but I had to contain the tears with Corey's winner against Man U but it may have been grit in my eye.

Never really thought about it until the question was posed on here . Never followed England away but have buzzed around watching City. Watching 1990 World Cup with my late dad was sometimhing I’ll never forget , he was a gas ed but watched City only if Jackie played!!

Korey Smith, hands down. Dier's penalty not even on the same page. A genuine euphoric moment with a mixture of stunned bewilderment and uncontrolled screaming, dancing and hugging with strangers in the Lansdown! England yeah it was fun to see them put that voodoo to bed but surely only a world cup winning goal could come close to matching this.

19 hours ago, RedLionLad said:

Club above Country. Simple

Not that simple for me. My club resides in Skåne which used to belong to Denmark. The Swedes managed to take it and they tortured about 1000 men, women and children to death for each Swede that was killed. Entire cities were exterminated and that was not enough to stop the rebellions. Our land used to be Viking territory. The Swedes were mostly traders who travelled to Turkey and Russia while we were the true men of Scandinavia. A lot of us were cleansed long ago. Now everything we get to hear from the Swedish rulers is how kind it is to be a leftie and that leads people to support Sweden in desperation, because there can't be an alternative, can there? To resist shame you must accept love of your enemy, as the bible commands. Only that I don't believe. Andreas Granqvist has become a symbol of the final straw for us, but I seriously don't believe that there can be a way out. The only way is to crush this world.

17 minutes ago, Olympian said:

Not that simple for me. My club resides in Skåne which used to belong to Denmark. The Swedes managed to take it and they tortured about 1000 men, women and children to death for each Swede that was killed. Entire cities were exterminated and that was not enough to stop the rebellions. Our land used to be Viking territory. The Swedes were mostly traders who travelled to Turkey and Russia while we were the true men of Scandinavia. A lot of us were cleansed long ago. Now everything we get to hear from the Swedish rulers is how kind it is to be a leftie and that leads people to support Sweden in desperation, because there can't be an alternative, can there? To resist shame you must accept love of your enemy, as the bible commands. Only that I don't believe. Andreas Granqvist has become a symbol of the final straw for us, but I seriously don't believe that there can be a way out. The only way is to crush this world.

So you’re saying you want England to win?

On 04/07/2018 at 21:54, lager loud said:

Dier for me - although, watching them each at home on TV, my reaction was pretty similar, involving vaulting off the sofa, jumping around the living room laughing and screaming. I may have used some naughty words on each occasion.

Beating Man U was great, but my disappointments with England World Cup performances/results go back to 1970 and Peter Bonetti.

Once it went to penalties last night I had no doubt we would lose. So even though there may be another let-down round the corner, there was nearly 50 years' worth of frustration to let out when we actually won. Watching England, it's probably only David Platt's 119th minute winner against Belgium in 1990 that could rival the feeling last night.

There are a few City goals that I enjoyed more than Smith's winner (maybe in part because I was at the games):

- Martyn Hirst's winner at Eastville in the FA Cup in 1983 (before I was a City fan, really, but knowing Martyn a bit made that special)

- Steve Neville's 119th(?) minute Freight Rover winner against Hereford in 1986

- both the goals against Hartlepool in the play-off semi-final

Nothing like a late, late winner, when not winning would be utterly horrible, to remind us just why we watch football! Maybe that's why the Smith goal doesn't quite make the cut for me: however good it was to beat Man U, losing wouldn't have been terrible. 

Donawa 

Tuesday was brilliant and as a 49 year old, I've had to witness all of the pain of being an England fan.

However, I completely lost my sh!t when Korey scored and I ran the full length of the pub I was in and jumped so far in the air that I bruised my knuckles on the ceiling.

I love England but I love City more.

Archived