Welcome to One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums

Welcome to One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums by signing in or creating an account.

• Start new topics and reply to others
  • Full access to all forums (not all viewable as guest)
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.
  • Support OTIB with a premium membership

Danwal

Smith against Man U or Dier penalty?

Korey because I flew down a few flights of seats and nearly hospitalised 2 people mid-celebration.

Nowts gonna top that for a while.

• Like 1

A close call but it's Korey's goal for me. Mainly because I was there to see it live. 

Last night's game I watched in complete sobriety at home, so the hysteria quotient was nowhere near as out of order. 

• Like 1

Korey. I cheered like an absolute madman when we scored the pen last night and almost crippled myself hugging people. But Smith was the only ever goal that’s made me just stand, arms raised, in total silence. That’ll always stand out to me when I think about football. 

KS every time, the atmosphere, the opponents and the sheer joy and elation and not to mention the deafening noise as the ball hit the back of the net. My club and emotions of that great night as opposed to a penalty shoot out in the knock out phase of the WC.

Maybe different if it was the World Cup final!

• Like 1

Korey’s Winner all day long. Dier’s penalty a close second. But being there at the Gate to see my team beat Manure, I think only winning the World Cup would eclipse that.

It's obviously 50/50 from all those that have replied.

:facepalm:

Korey Smiths goal, easily outweighs last night.

I was there and it was my team beating the most famous team in the world.

Was at both games. After all the years of pain following England, I’d have to choose last night. Incredible celebrations in the England fans’ section of the stadium, made all the better as we were surrounded on almost all sides by Colombians who’d goaded us quite severely (and pelted us with missiles) after Mina’s equaliser.  

Edited by North London Red
  • Like 6
  • Snake 1

39 minutes ago, Reigate Red said:

Korey because I was there to appreciate the moment.

This, being at the ground always makes it better, also the fact it was man united and the sheer upset factor too

Korey.

England beating Colombia isn’t that much of a shock result.

City beating Man U is a big shock and not something I was expecting!

I’ll have to think again when Kane scores the winner in the final though.

Korey, but living in the moment England have become my Bristol City until our WC finishes. So the next goal for England is currently top of my most wanted list.

• Like 1

A no brainer for me, Korey’s. Number one for being there & number two was also being able to share that moment with my son ( who was asleep until I chucked him into the air!). I’ve seen that goal 100 times since, still don’t get bored of it. The scenes after, total euphoria. But just probably means that City mean more to me. COYR 

• Like 1

If you were asking about England's winner in the World Cup Final 2018 or Korey… it would be a different answer. But as it stands Korey's goal moment was the best ever (so far)

Smith 100% for me.

Would love to see England do something in a major tournament but have a much deeper love and greater connection for my hometown club. 

Korey all day long for me. 

Last night was brilliant and such a relief after all the shoot out misery, but to see us beat Man U was one of the greatest nights we’ll ever have. 

As others have said, if the same thing happens in the final then that will pretty much eclipse everything but that’s still a long way off. 

I agree with right Roberts goal, beating Man U was amazing but losing to them wouldn’t have been too bad. However if we would have lost last night or lost to Hartlepool as with the Roberts goal it’s the heart brake I couldn’t have taken. Guess that’s why diers penalty meant more as it could so easily have been another horrible night 

Korey. All the way.

The outpouring of celebration of us winning a penalty shootout against a side we should have put to sleep in the first 20 minutes last night is concerning.

We won nothing last night. Other than a game against European opposition in the next round. How did our last game go against a European opponent?

I really hope. Really hope. That England progress and do well, but the way some people are carrying on, you'd think we had already won it.

Korey’s goal was the single greatest moment of sport I’ve ever witnessed in person.

The only way that I could envisage England surpassing that moment would be if the unthinkable was to happen on Sunday week.

• Like 1

Dier for me - although, watching them each at home on TV, my reaction was pretty similar, involving vaulting off the sofa, jumping around the living room laughing and screaming. I may have used some naughty words on each occasion.

Beating Man U was great, but my disappointments with England World Cup performances/results go back to 1970 and Peter Bonetti.

Once it went to penalties last night I had no doubt we would lose. So even though there may be another let-down round the corner, there was nearly 50 years' worth of frustration to let out when we actually won. Watching England, it's probably only David Platt's 119th minute winner against Belgium in 1990 that could rival the feeling last night.

There are a few City goals that I enjoyed more than Smith's winner (maybe in part because I was at the games):

- Martyn Hirst's winner at Eastville in the FA Cup in 1983 (before I was a City fan, really, but knowing Martyn a bit made that special)

- Steve Neville's 119th(?) minute Freight Rover winner against Hereford in 1986

- both the goals against Hartlepool in the play-off semi-final

Nothing like a late, late winner, when not winning would be utterly horrible, to remind us just why we watch football! Maybe that's why the Smith goal doesn't quite make the cut for me: however good it was to beat Man U, losing wouldn't have been terrible. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Bristol Rob said:

Korey. All the way.

The outpouring of celebration of us winning a penalty shootout against a side we should have put to sleep in the first 20 minutes last night is concerning.

We won nothing last night. Other than a game against European opposition in the next round. How did our last game go against a European opponent?

I really hope. Really hope. That England progress and do well, but the way some people are carrying on, you'd think we had already won it.

Why is it “concerning” that we celebrated a dramatic victory in an important match that keeps us in with a shout of winning the World Cup?!

It’s been a great World Cup, England have a realistic chance of doing very well, the sun has been shining for weeks on end and people are enjoying the summer. What’s wrong with getting excited?!

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, ChippenhamRed said:

Why is it “concerning” that we celebrated a dramatic victory in an important match that keeps us in with a shout of winning the World Cup?!

It’s been a great World Cup, England have a realistic chance of doing very well, the sun has been shining for weeks on end and people are enjoying the summer. What’s wrong with getting excited?!

I think the fact we won, masked our inability to see off a game in normal time we were more than capable of winning. Like I say, it's great we won, but the fact it took pens... leaves we concerned if we are going to have a chance of lifting the cup.

I hope my concerns are unfounded, but last night wasn't (in my view) as epic a win as many are making out.

25 minutes ago, Bristol Rob said:

Korey. All the way.

Why should we have put them to sleep in the first 20 minutes? 

Slightly disrespectful to a team who reached the quarter finals 4 years ago and who put three unanswered goals past a Poland team that some on here were predicting would knock us out, no?

As for our last game against European opposition...it was two reserve teams playing each other in little more than a dead rubber. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Bristol Rob said:

I think the fact we won, masked our inability to see off a game in normal time we were more than capable of winning. Like I say, it's great we won, but the fact it took pens... leaves we concerned if we are going to have a chance of lifting the cup.

I hope my concerns are unfounded, but last night wasn't (in my view) as epic a win as many are making out.

If your concern is with the performance rather than the celebrations, that makes more sense. I certainly agree there are still plenty of questions about this England side.

I don’t think people were celebrating just because of the win itself - it was the fact that it was such a dramatic and traumatic way to win! If we’d coasted to a 3-0 win the reaction wouldn’t have been quite as extreme.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Bristol Rob said:

Completely understand where you’re coming from, but for me it’s precisely the fact that it was on penalties that made it so epic.

Had we cleared that header off the line, and won 1-0, it wouldn’t have been celebrated as much. It would have been, as you suggest, a win which should have happened, and people would have been happy but raised certain concerns (like nearly any England match won by a small margin).

But the fact that we nearly threw it away, and put ourselves in the position we are all far too familiar with, and then had the wherewithal to actually come through it for once gives it that added sense of importance, and heightens the achievement.

Like the old “1-1 from 1-0 up is crap, 1-1 from 1-0 down is great”. It’s not the result that’s being celebrated, but the means.

Chuffing champion, if you ask me.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Various folk making good points in opposition to my view on last night, no complaints there - what is a forum without user generated content!

Maybe I'd be more enthusiastic if I wasn't so tired this week.

Anyway, on the Saturday (maybe I'll start to believe!)

:englandflag:

• Like 3

33 minutes ago, ChippenhamRed said:

Korey’s goal was the single greatest moment of sport I’ve ever witnessed in person.

The only way that I could envisage England surpassing that moment would be if the unthinkable was to happen on Sunday week.

Bristol beat Manchester, still as totally underwhelmed by it as I was on the day. 

2 hours ago, Offside said:

Definitely Korey Smith's goal. Brilliant scenes. Pretty much had me in tears for several days after whenever I watched it back.

I was like that with Titanic