IGNORED

Transfers in the old days

SuperDziek

Plenty of people on the transfer forum wondering when the signing of Jack Hunt will be announced, and the same pretty much happens with every transfer nowadays with rumours going round on social media including from journalists etc, which got me wondering......

How were transfers announced in the old days  (by that, I mean pre 1985 when I started following City)? Was any news about incoming transfers released by the club prior to the player signing on the dotted line?  Was it just the Evening Post/Green Un/Western Daily Press that were relied upon to break news of new signings?  Would there even be any news that City were in negotiations with players/players undergoing medicals etc?

I guess players 40/50 years ago were a lot more loyal as well so was there the same excitement when a player signed for City (aside from big name signings like Norman Hunter etc)?

I can remember in 1989/90 eagerly following news of transfer deadline day on Ceefax wondering if and when City were going to announce any signings (pretty sure we signed Junior Bent and Nicky Morgan on deadline day that season) - maybe Ceefax was the late 80's version of social media!

Hopefully @oldstandrobin will be able to give us an insight amongst other users!

Happy to help Cuz, it was usually the good old Evening Post, sold as far as Weymouth that broke the news to us, pre -internet, or the WDP.  As a paper boy operating from Mr Greenland in Ashton Drive, I was privy to the news before the customer read his paper. Happy Days :ill:

I loved the not-so-old days (mid-90s and earlier).  Sports pages actually analysing football matches and players, with a quarter of a page of gossip and rumours at most - not pages of it every bloody day. 

Still remember where I was when Andy Cole from Newcastle Utd to Man Utd was announced.  Completely unexpected.

6 minutes ago, Tom Fleuriot said:

I loved the not-so-old days (mid-90s and earlier).  Sports pages actually analysing football matches and players, with a quarter of a page of gossip and rumours at most - not pages of it every bloody day. 

Still remember where I was when Andy Cole from Newcastle Utd to Man Utd was announced.  Completely unexpected.

Why, where were you and where were you supposed to be instead?

Their was a sort of rumour mill, again mainly the Evening Post, so you often knew that the club were after certain players even if the move did not come to fruition.  I remember reports (back in the late 70s top flight days) of us trying to sign the likes of Alan Gowling (Newcastle), Derek Hales (Charlton) and a Yugoslav player with the great name of Slobodan Antic.  I'm sure we were after an Icelandic player as well, but can't remember his name, good chance his surname was Magnússon though! One thing we never got to know was any great detail of why players did not sign for us, such as dodgy medicals, personal terms, clubs not agreeing fee, etc.

It was easier in the past because clubs " owned " the players and they were bought and sold as it suited them .

The Chairmen of the two clubs involved discussed a deal,agreed a price and Roy of the Rovers became Roy of the Rangers with no say in whether he stayed or went .

Also, this could take place at any time, no transfer windows to worry about then .

The balance of power has shifted to the players by and large and now it's much more difficult to push deals through with the agent s using whatever means possible to get a bigger commission ,

Obviously it's not as underwraps and unexpected as even 20 years ago, let alone examples I gave (before my time).

However one thing I have been quite impressed at- is how under wraps we have kept some of the deals. Usually it leaks out, not just for us but for all manner of clubs.

Weimann for example- or Reid to Cardiff- both came as a surprise to varying levels IMO.

Hunt too- yes it was mentioned last night but these things have been leaked or at least heavily speculated on quicker in past times, usually in fact.

33 minutes ago, pride of the west said:

I remember being at school 6th form and some kiddy coming in with the evening post he picked up at lunch time. From out of nowhere Pulis had signed Beadle. I sacked the afternoon lessons off and went to the pub to calm down.

I'm not sure if the forum was up then but there was no wisper until it happened. 

Yea remember having to wait for the Green 'Un and the tikka tape machine typing out the results. Players on maximum wage of £20 a week, what is it now some on £200,000 a week? The smell of linament by the tunnel mixed with the smoke of Woodbines, and changing ends at half time to see the likes of Atyeo and all kicking towards the goal. Two bob to get in and a tanner on the bus.  :sad26:

There were a few rumours in the Post, but most signings came as a surprise / relative surprise. In a way, because there was no internet, life was much easier. No need to keep checking the transfer forum, as it didn’t exist. If, twenty years ago, someone had told me there would be 60+ threads with suggestions and rumours in a transfer forum I would have thought they were mad. 

17 minutes ago, Bristol Rob said:

0898 12 11 76

@CyderInACan can (hopefully) confirm I correctly recall the 'Club Call' number correctly.

I can , and so can my ex boss who paid the telephone bill !

12 minutes ago, pongo88 said:

There were a few rumours in the Post, but most signings came as a surprise / relative surprise. In a way, because there was no internet, life was much easier. No need to keep checking the transfer forum, as it didn’t exist. If, twenty years ago, someone had told me there would be 60+ threads with suggestions and rumours in a transfer forum I would have thought they were mad. 

And you don't now ? 

2 hours ago, oldstandrobin said:

Happy to help Cuz, it was usually the good old Evening Post, sold as far as Weymouth that broke the news to us, pre -internet, or the WDP.  As a paper boy operating from Mr Greenland in Ashton Drive, I was privy to the news before the customer read his paper. Happy Days :ill:

The Western Daily Press was around well before the Bristol Evening Post - I only know this cos my Dad worked for both - The Western Daily Press was launched in 1858 and The Bristol Evening Post was born in 1932. There was also The Bristol Evening World which competed strongly with The Post until its demise in 1962....

Growing up in the 1980s I can't remember thinking too much about transfers. My only sources of information were the Evening Post (with the obligatory picture of the player signing the contract - or pretending to -alongside the manager and/or chairman) and the local news on TV. There was Clubcall as well for a time, but apart from an incomprehensible interview with Joe Jordan at one point I can't remember much about that either.

24 minutes ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

The Western Daily Press was around well before the Bristol Evening Post - I only know this cos my Dad worked for both - The Western Daily Press was launched in 1858 and The Bristol Evening Post was born in 1932. There was also The Bristol Evening World which competed strongly with The Post until its demise in 1962....

How old are you if your old man was working in 1858?!?!

22 minutes ago, Bristol Rob said:

How old are you if your old man was working in 1858?!?!

Some of our older supporters are a bit funny about their age but I have visited BS4 in his nursing home................ a fine chap :laughcont:

2 hours ago, Major Isewater said:

I can , and so can my ex boss who paid the telephone bill !

And you don't now ? 

In our workplace, you’d just dial it from someone else’s desk-phone, especially if they were a City fan, because they couldn’t deny it :D

We heard about new signings only after they happened. Maybe the odd one or two knew by being ITK but it was of course the Evening Post, Evening World and WDP that gave us the glad tidings.

It was even worse for away evening games in the 1950's. BBC main TV news was at 9pm so matches had not finished by then. Occasionally the results would be given on ITV at end of Ten O'Clock news but not always. If you were out of earshot to radio or TV when these evening results were given, you did not find out the result until WDP the next morning.

I always remember one particular result as the ITV man gabbled the results at a hell of a rate with about one and half seconds to give scores of each match. So one of our biggest away wins ever, came and went so fast that I didn't know if my ears were playing me tricks or not. 

Barnsley 4 Bristol 7!

I can remember hearing about Chris Garland's transfer to Chelsea at school - don't know if it had been mentioned on the radio as £100,000 was a big fee back then.

Was mortified and went through the rest of the day in a bit of a daze.

Archived