IGNORED

Joe Bryan

Sparkz 76

2 hours ago, Selred said:

Over the top.

A contract works for both parties, look at Gary O'Neil, we just let him go at the end of the contract. Imagine if he said he wouldn't play unless we offered him a new one?

Joe is a great lad, ruining his career by not playing him, purely because he only has one year left, is out of order really.

I get the reasons to let a player rot in the reserves/youths if he is a problem player (seen many in the prem over the years), but I doubt Bryan is saying "I'm gonna refuse to play or go on strike if I don't leave" or if he is trying to manufacture his own move behind the clubs back etc. If there aren't bids he will be staying until he goes for free I guess, or cheaply in January. I still think he will be gone, and the friendlies will be interesting if he is involved at all?

It’s possible he might start to look at the players coming in and with nothing concrete coming from the Prem that he signs a new deal.  I think he may have to wait til the end of the WC2018 for the domino effect to understand where he sits in term of a move.

10 hours ago, Sparkz 76 said:

Does anyone think we should offload or run his contract down and let him go for free.

He's not a commodity, we can't simply 'offload' if he doesn't want the deal on offer.

It's Catch 22  - City 'big up' his supposed value, which triggers both player and agent expectation, yet buyers know he isn't anywhere near as good as Bristolians like to imagine he is. 

Premier clubs know that for the type of monies SL was quoting, for a bit part, squad player, there's far better value to be had overseas.

He'll go for less than we want and less than his agent will demand but it'll still be more than we're offering. If he does stay in the Championship and he appears as a defender against us that's a bonus.

3 hours ago, EnderMB said:

Flint wanted out, and he signed a year extension - enough to ensure the club gets what they want, and enough to ensure he could be sold when the market was right.

I say we either do the same for Bryan, with a £10m release clause for anyone that wants him immediately, or we tell him that if he chooses to not sign and he isn't gone for around that figure this summer then he won't play at all this year.

Yes, Bryan will go on a free, but he'll lose an entire year of football when it's important that he plays. Furthermore, his stock will plummet, and the best he'll hope for is a sideways move away from his friends and family.

Probably not the sort of reputation the club would like to be known for. He's a decent LB/LM and we are still playing is wages so why wouldn't we play him. If he want's to wind down his contract he will need to have a decent season to get any good clubs interested in him, so that would also work in our favour. 

3 hours ago, EnderMB said:

Flint wanted out, and he signed a year extension - enough to ensure the club gets what they want, and enough to ensure he could be sold when the market was right.

I say we either do the same for Bryan, with a £10m release clause for anyone that wants him immediately, or we tell him that if he chooses to not sign and he isn't gone for around that figure this summer then he won't play at all this year.

Yes, Bryan will go on a free, but he'll lose an entire year of football when it's important that he plays. Furthermore, his stock will plummet, and the best he'll hope for is a sideways move away from his friends and family.

Given the club's model for player recruitment, what you suggest would be financial suicide and there is no way we would now allow that to happen and players   ( and, as importantly, their agents, ) know it.

Bobby Reid almost certainly realised that his stock is unlikely to be higher than after the season he's just had so wanted to go for broke, career wise. He knew that by not signing a new contract it would almost certainly force the club's hand into looking for a quick sale to avoid him running down his contract and him going for nothing next year. As it happened, it's worked well for both parties - Bobby is going to the prem and we've banked a huge amount for a player with only 1 year left on his contract and only 1 season of notable performance behind him.

If Joe wants to leave  and if, as it sounds, there are premier league clubs interested then I am pretty certain that we will want to get top dollar now so that we can use the funds to reinforce the squad and at the same time let Joe move on in terms of his career and financial security. 

Joe is a cracking player and I am certain the club would much prefer he sign a new contract and reinforce the team for the next season, but it looks much like Bobby Reid's situation where the harsh financial reality means we will sell. However, with 2 of our academy players moving to the prem for big money, it is a tremendous advert to any young prospects considering City as an option, where they can see that we have  pathway for young players to get into the first team and are developing players good enough for the premier league, which we all of course hope will be with us!

1 hour ago, downendcity said:

Given the club's model for player recruitment, what you suggest would be financial suicide and there is no way we would now allow that to happen and players   ( and, as importantly, their agents, ) know it.

I doubt it. Most clubs run this way, and unlike a lot of industries there are a finite number of clubs where a player can play. An agent could block players they represent from joining a club, but in terms of resources the club will always beat the agent. Prospective players don't join agents that limit their opportunities, and it's one of the first things players are told by the PFA.

Again, it's what we did with Flint, and it's standard practice to keep a player off the pitch and potentially training away from the first-team squad if they are unsettled - i.e. gardening leave. That doesn't mean we tell them to **** off to the reserves, but it means they won't be a part of the first-team unless circumstances change.

Ideal scenario for me would be Joe signing a new deal, he’s played in midfield and Kelly is our first choice left back.

However it’s more than likely he’ll leave for 7-8 million, which I’m not overly concerned about because Kelly looks better defensively IMO. So let's just sell and move on.

What will frustrate me is that he moves to another club who don’t play him at left back, they utilise him further forward and he becomes the top class player a lot of us think he can be.

Whereas we got arguably the best years out of Flint and we got a great season/transfer fee out of Reid (from a glass half full perspective), losing JB would be a bit more frustrating because we should have benefitted more by playing him more offensively on a consistent basis.

Any potential deal with a decent sell on clause and watching one of our own play for England may go some way to pacifying me though!

13 minutes ago, Dman_Red said:

Ideal scenario for me would be Joe signing a new deal, he’s played in midfield and Kelly is our first choice left back.

However it’s more than likely he’ll leave for 7-8 million, which I’m not overly concerned about because Kelly looks better defensively IMO. So let's just sell and move on.

What will frustrate me is that he moves to another club who don’t play him at left back, they utilise him further forward and he becomes the top class player a lot of us think he can be.

Whereas we got arguably the best years out of Flint and we got a great season/transfer fee out of Reid (from a glass half full perspective), losing JB would be a bit more frustrating because we should have benefitted more by playing him more offensively on a consistent basis.

Any potential deal with a decent sell on clause and watching one of our own play for England may go some way to pacifying me though!

Agree with everything 100% (especially the highlighted bit) apart from last sentence.

I struggle to imagine him progressing to England level. Scotland though is a different matter (if the rumours of a qualifying Scotch ancestor are correct). For that reason - and European football - joining Celtic if they sell Tierney would be an attractive proposition, if I were Joe, even if the standard of football most Saturdays would feel like being back in L1. At least he'd getting the opportunity to smack a few more beauties past Wesley Foderingham. Oh yes :yes::worship2:

I’ve heard from a collegue who knows his family and. Apparently he does’nt like L J and they dont get on.

Perhaps LJ wants him gone.

I think Joe is a good player and can show flashes of brilliance at times but at this point in time i think he’s way too inconsistant to play in the Premier League.

22 minutes ago, Merrick's Marvels said:

Agree with everything 100% (especially the highlighted bit) apart from last sentence.

I struggle to imagine him progressing to England level. Scotland though is a different matter (if the rumours of a qualifying Scotch ancestor are correct). For that reason - and European football - joining Celtic if they sell Tierney would be an attractive proposition, if I were Joe, even if the standard of football most Saturdays would feel like being back in L1. At least he'd getting the opportunity to smack a few more beauties past Wesley Foderingham. Oh yes :yes::worship2:

Yeah I think you're right, the England reference was made in jest...but then again, who'd have thought a year ago Ashley Young would be playing at left wing back in a team who are bringing it home?! ;)

Archived