IGNORED

I have to say I'm impressed

Cider red

With our transfer business so far; we've lost our two best players but have replaced them with proven championship talent; I'd say our squad looks stronger than last year. With hopefully a dominating cm to come. Next season will be another interesting one

8 minutes ago, Cider red said:

With our transfer business so far; we've lost our two best players but have replaced them with proven championship talent; I'd say our squad looks stronger than last year. With hopefully a dominating cm to come. Next season will be another interesting one

Spot on,squad will be stronger even if the starting eleven is not as good but even if the worst happens and we got relegated with cheap buys we are becoming self efficient and should be able to bounce back 

I’m delaying judgment on the new recruits until I see them in a few Championship games.  Looks encouraging on paper though and great that we are signing guys with Championship experience and know how.  The flip side is that a couple of them  seem a little injury prone but that’s probably a gamble we have to take because I imagine we are still way down the list of first choice destinations for the majority of good Championship players.

20 minutes ago, jambodinho said:

Have we replaced Bobby’s 20+ goals though? Not yet in my opinion but there’s still time. 

I’d say diedhiou is good enough to be a 20 goal a season striker. 

With flint as well, a better defender will help make sure that his 5-8 goals a season aren’t conceded at our end and so don’t need to be scored

17 minutes ago, JBFC II said:

I’d say diedhiou is good enough to be a 20 goal a season striker. 

With flint as well, a better defender will help make sure that his 5-8 goals a season aren’t conceded at our end and so don’t need to be scored

Yeah no reason why Fammy can’t get 20 if he stays injury free but between he and Bobby they scored about 35 didn’t they? So we need another forward who can contribute 15-20 in my opinion. Weimann has never scored double figures in a season in his career and has only scored 29 goals in total ever. The common consensus among Derby and Villa fans is that he has no end product so I hope we are not counting on him to be Reid’s replacement. 

41 minutes ago, jambodinho said:

Have we replaced Bobby’s 20+ goals though? Not yet in my opinion but there’s still time. 

Last year, Wolves went up without a 20 goal striker.

Cardiff went up without a 20 goal striker

Fulham went up without a 20 goal striker.

The way we seem to be setting up is to not depend on a 20 goal striker but look for goals from all over the park, while showing up a defence that has been pretty leaky for 3 years.

Have we replaced him? Yes. Across Weimann, Adelakun & Watkins. That’s what last season proved works.

4 minutes ago, jambodinho said:

Yeah no reason why Fammy can’t get 20 if he stays injury free but between he and Bobby they scored about 35 didn’t they? So we need another forward who can contribute 15-20 in my opinion. Weimann has never scored double figures in a season in his career and has only scored 29 goals in total ever. The common consensus among Derby and Villa fans is that he has no end product so I hope we are not counting on him to be Reid’s replacement. 

Wilbraham? Its happened before.

46 minutes ago, jambodinho said:

2 years ago we were worrying about replacing Kodjia's goals.

A year ago we were worrying about replacing Tammy's goals.

27 minutes ago, jambodinho said:

Or Flinty’s 8 goals come to think about it. Webster has scored 6 in his whole career so not expecting him to score many

As has been mentioned elsewhere, it wasn't our lack of goals that was a problem last season, it was keeping them out at the other end.

Flint's goals are replaced if the man coming in to replace him can help reduce our goals conceded total by 8 ( or more). Another poster also mentioned that we might see goals spread more around the team, especially at set pieces where most things were directed at Flint in the past. 

1 minute ago, Silvio Dante said:

Last year, Wolves went up without a 20 goal striker.

Cardiff went up without a 20 goal striker

Fulham went up without a 20 goal striker.

The way we seem to be setting up is to not depend on a 20 goal striker but look for goals from all over the park, while showing up a defence that has been pretty leaky for 3 years.

Have we replaced him? Yes. Across Weimann, Adelakun & Watkins. That’s what last season proved works.

Yep none of those teams had a 20 goal contributor but they all had multiple players with double figures. In Cardiff’s case their right back got 10. I think we can count on fam to notch double figures but we’ll need at least 1 other player too also. None of our other players got close to double figures last season. Watkins didn’t score last season, Weimann got 5 and Adelukan got 3 in league one so it’s hard to imagine they’ll get 20 between them. Our most attacking players, Djuric, Taylor, Paterson and O’Dowda also didn’t even hit double figures between them so again, it would be a surprise that anyone we currently have will become a goal scorer all of a sudden. You never know though 

1 hour ago, jambodinho said:

What did Bobby do before last year? Could anyone ever comprehend that he had such end product? Some around me used to think he had bananas for feet. 

3 hours ago, jambodinho said:

More than one way to skin a cat mate. We were one game away from promotion with Darren Byfield's eight not so long ago.

9 hours ago, jambodinho said:

That fella at the Post reckons no more outfield players, especially front men, unless more players leave. Bryan will be replaced by a left back so that will leave us with Weimann being the man to replace Bobby yet he is not really an out and out striker; neither was Bobby so maybe the coaches have seen enough of Weimann to think he can step up. We have Fammy and we have Pato who may be more central and forward next season. Its a gamble, but it always is. I would much sooner have someone like the Posh guy coming in though; that would give us some impressive overall firepower. And lets not forget, i do not think anybody at the club is expecting Webster to replace Flintys goals.

10 hours ago, jambodinho said:

Yep none of those teams had a 20 goal contributor but they all had multiple players with double figures. In Cardiff’s case their right back got 10. I think we can count on fam to notch double figures but we’ll need at least 1 other player too also. None of our other players got close to double figures last season. Watkins didn’t score last season, Weimann got 5 and Adelukan got 3 in league one so it’s hard to imagine they’ll get 20 between them. Our most attacking players, Djuric, Taylor, Paterson and O’Dowda also didn’t even hit double figures between them so again, it would be a surprise that anyone we currently have will become a goal scorer all of a sudden. You never know though 

The four players you mentioned in your last paragraph all had injuries last season which affected not only their ability to play at 100% but also their availability.

Djuric and Taylor should easily get into double figures and Pato and COD should get 5 or 6 each at worst . 

All those goals that Bobby scored were by a guy who’d never played up front before and had previously had a pretty dubious record in front of goal. 

One could very easily argue that the performance of the team as a whole enabled Bobby to get in great scoring positions and the performance of the team created many chances. 

Its not like we are now gonna be playing with 10 men. We will have another player on the pitch (whomever it may be) who will be in goal scoring positions and on the end of chances created. Not a huge amount of Bobby’s goals were 30 yard screamers or solo dribbles, the majority of his goals were created by others and he was in the right place - we will have other players taking up those same positions, so as long as we’re creating chances there’ll be someone on the end of them. 

I’m not at all concerned about missing / replacing Bobby’s goals. I’m more concerned that we must ensure we replace his energy and work rate in that position. 

15 hours ago, jambodinho said:

Reid had never scored double figures before last season

2 hours ago, Buster Footman's T shirt said:

Reid had never scored double figures before last season

Absolutely right and we’d have been in the poop if he hadn’t. In my opinion we need more firepower up front. Don’t want to argue with anyone and I admire the positivity of everyone in here saying Taylor and Djuric should easily get double figures next season and players we’ve signed who aren’t goal scorers will score more than they usually do next season. Just my opinion. I’d like to see another striker come in. I’m fairly confident that Watkins, Adelukan, Weimann, O’Dowda, Taylor and Djuric won’t get 20 between them.  

Meanwhile our first opponents Forest have signed an estimated 18mil pound worth of new players, a tough first game and indeed a tough looking first few months ahead.

Archived