IGNORED

England v Sweden : Official Matchday Thread

Red Army 75

3 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

Sweden a very solid side. We really do need to improve with creating chances in open play. I'd stick with this 3322 system, but pick a side that can be changed into a more normal 433 during the game if we need to. As I think our formation is better against teams that come at us. Need Rose to start to get some width on that left side. Gonna be hard to play through them. I'd start Loftus Cheek too in this one. 

It’s different how we see things. I’m not his biggest fan but I would definitely stick with Ashley Young . I personally think he’s been excellent this World Cup. Instrumental in the Columbia game when things were getting heated

12 minutes ago, INCRED said:

I would like to see Rashford start as Sterling hasn’t done enough for me in this competition so far.

But when we took him off against Columbia we went to ****. 

I don't think this is going to be a high scoring match .

Sweden excellent defensively not so pucker on sticking the round thing in the net.

England , well organised at the back but not very creative in midfield and only Kane who is a world class forward.

I'm going for a very nervous 1-0 England with Mr H. Kane OBE being the difference. 

It's coming home.

:englandflag:

24 minutes ago, Red Army 75 said:

10000 empty seats at today’s game. Sky sports just reported. 

Crazy really. Anywhere else in world and we’d have 50k trying to get tickets

24 minutes ago, Red Army 75 said:

10000 empty seats at today’s game. Sky sports just reported. 

I know people who were considering going over but it’s just too difficult. 

Few tickets were available immediately so if you did get one, it would’ve cost around £150 and then an expensive flight and loooong train ride. 

Then, more tickets were released late in the week. So you could now get one, which means you could now have your ID/Visa to get into the country, but due to the location  and it being so late, you’d have to fly direct to Samara, which would cost about £3k!! 

The Visa/ID thing has basically stopped English fans being able to get to Russia and take a chance they’d obtain a ticket. In previous tournaments at this stage it’s a case of get to where you need to be and then try to get a ticket. Here, you can’t get to where you need to be until after you’ve got your ticket, and then once you’ve got your ticket it’s nyon impossible to reach the destination in time. 

There wont be many England fans in the stadium today. Perhaps only those that were there for the previous match who’ve managed to stay on. 

Historically, this is a game we'd be guaranteed to lose. A relative "easy" game, compared to others we could have had and with the route to a final in sight would be an almost certainty that England would fail to turn up - think Iceland 2 years ago.

However, Southgate's England have got something about them and the Columbia game suggests there's a mental toughness and steel that has perhaps been missing in the past. Sweden will not be easy,  as they look pretty strong defensively, so it could be a single goal that decides it. If so, then you have to think that Harry Kane could be the difference, as he looks to be the stand out striker left in the tournament.

8 minutes ago, Tomarse said:

Crazy really. Anywhere else in world Horfield and we’d have 150k trying to get tickets

More like it!   :)

Probably a debate for its own thread really but anybody else feeling really positive and loving the fact that win or lose the passion and respect for England football is back.

I feel embarrassed now that I, like so many others on here, moaned about international breaks and was very meh about whether I even watched the England games or not.

Now - at least under Gareth (never thought a year ago I would say that) I will enjoy the breaks and look forward to watching England with pride as we build up towards the Euros.

Much rather play Sweden than having to play Colombia again. Let’s be completely honest, if we can’t beat Sweden we don’t deserve to be in a WC semi. 

We have yet to turn in a truly convincing performance this tournament and I’d really love to see us just go at it from the off like we did in opening stages of the Tunisia game. 

I still don’t think it’s quite sunk in. Sweden and one of Russia/Croatia and were in a World Cup final. Wow. 

What we’d have done to guarantee that scenario back on day one!

5 minutes ago, Buster Footman's T shirt said:

Got a horrible feeling that this has extra time and penalties written all over it. Think we will prevail though. Ex city Loanee Rose with the winning penalty. Im going for 7-6  in sudden death. 

My only worry is we’ve played our penalty card and thus the Swedish keeper has a bit of an insight to where they’re likely to go. 

12 minutes ago, Neo said:

Probably a debate for its own thread really but anybody else feeling really positive and loving the fact that win or lose the passion and respect for England football is back.

I feel embarrassed now that I, like so many others on here, moaned about international breaks and was very meh about whether I even watched the England games or not.

Now - at least under Gareth (never thought a year ago I would say that) I will enjoy the breaks and look forward to watching England with pride as we build up towards the Euros.

Going to play devil’s advocate here, as I have loved the tournament, think we have a great chance to win it and Southgate has earned my respect.

However, a last minute winner over Tunisia, a hammering of Panama, a loss to Belgium and a draw with Colombia. Imagine they were four results in friendlies and we’d be pretty upset, wouldn’t we?

1 minute ago, BRISTOL86 said:

Much rather play Sweden than having to play Colombia again. Let’s be completely honest, if we can’t beat Sweden we don’t deserve to be in a WC semi. 

We have yet to turn in a truly convincing performance this tournament and I’d really love to see us just go at it from the off like we did in opening stages of the Tunisia game. 

I still don’t think it’s quite sunk in. Sweden and one of Russia/Croatia and were in a World Cup final. Wow. 

What we’d have done to guarantee that scenario back on day one!

Sweden are no mugs and should not be underestimated. Conceded 2 goals in 4 games at a WC in impressive especially with 3 clean sheets under there belt. 2 goals against Germany with the second being a belter from Kroos. Can’t really knock them. Yes they don’t offer as much going forward, but it won’t be easy breaking them down and getting a win in 90 mins.

1 minute ago, You Do The Dziekanowski said:

Sweden are no mugs and should not be underestimated. Conceded 2 goals in 4 games at a WC in impressive especially with 3 clean sheets under there belt. 2 goals against Germany with the second being a belter from Kroos. Can’t really knock them. Yes they don’t offer as much going forward, but it won’t be easy breaking them down and getting a win in 90 mins.

Absolutely won’t be easy. But winning a World Cup isn’t easy, and if we’re serious then now’s the time where we need to make sure our quality comes to the fore!

Archived