IGNORED

England v Sweden : Official Matchday Thread

Red Army 75

53 minutes ago, Super said:

All Russia aren't we? :laughcont:

I would think so, although playing the host is never easy...although Germany may disagree...

As an aside, Croatia have amassed more yellow cards than anyone else, something like seven or eight. Would be ok with Croatia winning, with a pile of players picking up their second yellow.

That's the first impressive England performance of the world cup. 

We've scraped past a shite Tunisia, hammered a Panama who are basically Bristol Rovers, and lost to Belgium's reserves with our reserves, culminating in not beating an awful (niggling, cheating but bereft of quality) Columbia in 120 minutes.

The hype following the penalty win was ridiculous, regardless of how well the chips were falling we'd only played about an hour of decent football over four games.

However today was very, very comfortable and a notoriously hard to break down Sweden just weren't in it all over the pitch. 

We now have a semi final against one of two sides who are both beatable, and a real opportunity.  

Set pieces can win trophies and we seem to be the best in the world at them at the moment, which is great news.

Now's a good time for justified optimism, it's fairly likely we'll see the best tournament result for England since 1966.

2 minutes ago, Nibor said:

That's the first impressive England performance of the world cup. 

We've scraped past a shite Tunisia, hammered a Panama who are basically Bristol Rovers, and lost to Belgium's reserves with our reserves, culminating in not beating an awful (niggling, cheating but bereft of quality) Columbia in 120 minutes.

The hype following the penalty win was ridiculous, regardless of how well the chips were falling we'd only played about an hour of decent football over four games.

However today was very, very comfortable and a notoriously hard to break down Sweden just weren't in it all over the pitch. 

We now have a semi final against one of two sides who are both beatable, and a real opportunity.  

Set pieces can win trophies and we seem to be the best in the world at them at the moment, which is great news.

Now's a good time for justified optimism, it's fairly likely we'll see the best tournament result for England since 1966.

You've done it now Nibor!

Brilliant moment for me. I was on a flight @ 315 today just before we took off a bloke thrust his phone under my nose and I’m sure it said England 0 Sweden 1 so I made a face.

When we landed I had a text that said 2-0 so naturally thought we were now 2 down. Turned to phone bloke to share the bad news. At which point he said no we were winning 1-0 and when you reacted as you did earlier I thought you were Swedish!

5 minutes ago, Moor2Sea said:

Strange isn’t it? 

England’s three best players are those least hyped pre-tournament and the most humble. 

Take a bow; Trippier, Maguire and Pickford. All immense.

Don’t think there’s a single player who isn’t humble

A big part of the success - no egos anywhere

Looks like Most  the players incl Flinty had a get together and great time together

Standing and singing the National Anthem (Video On Taylor Moore’s Instagram)

Famara , Pisano , COD And Elliason all there but Opted out of the  Anthem :laughcont:

F973C95A-3E90-4932-97E1-9E4A63D10C88.png

Famara , Pisano , COD And Elliason all there but Opted out of the  Anthem :laughcont:

5403E1EC-1228-4340-9DF5-404D7595550B.png

1 minute ago, bristolcitysweden said:

Congratulations to you lot for a truly well deserved victory. On the day it was boys against men and on the 2/3 occasions we created anything worth mentioning Pickford was immense.

We looked physically and mentally exhausted.

:englandflag: 

Thanks Tommy, us old buggars who remember 1966 are getting nervous as we progress and could this be the year we actually do it. Thought Sweden played very well but we have at last got a rhythm that they couldn't keep up with. Fingers crossed for Wednesday night and then......................who knows...............it's like watching City :city::englandflag:

2 minutes ago, bristolcitysweden said:

Congratulations to you lot for a truly well deserved victory. On the day it was boys against men and on the 2/3 occasions we created anything worth mentioning Pickford was immense.

Thanks Tommy,  physically and mentally exhausted,  a bit like you after happy hour? Ha Ha.   Lot's of Swedes in the Old Town today, never seen so many yellow shirts, spoke to a few in ClayHills Gastro Pub, wished them luck, but not too much. talked about Engvall, they didn't seem to know him. Says a lot.

2 minutes ago, bristolcitysweden said:

Thanks. 

If there was an award for the most-gracious-in-defeat fans, judging by the comments on here from you and your fellow countrymen -  the Swedes would walk it. Bravo. 

2 minutes ago, robin_unreliant said:

Was listening to 5 Live commentary on Exmouth beach when it cut off just before full time. Thought it was my luck there would be two stoppage time Sweden goals :wub:

Luckily the boys saw it out.  :banana:

I thought it was my dodgy wifi, BBC haven't admitted anything yet

26 minutes ago, South-of-river said:

Russia or Croatia is going to be a much harder game, I think we’ve done fantastic so far but we haven’t really played anyone decent yet, and I think with our silly mistakes a better team will take advantage of it. 

Harry Kane will be lifting the World Cup aloft and there will be people saying this.

51 minutes ago, Moor2Sea said:

Strange isn’t it? 

England’s three best players are those least hyped pre-tournament and the most humble. 

Take a bow; Trippier, Maguire and Pickford. All immense.

Embarrassing to admit but I don't watch much Prem football (get there first and all that) so had never even heard of Trippier before the World Cup. Honestly.

What a player England has there. Very solid but comfortable on the ball too. He's one of several that have a hunger I haven't seen since England sides of the nineties.

I was expecting England to do well this WC as a young hungry squad with success at youth levels and low expectation makes a very refreshing change in this country.

However I agree with @Nibor I was quite disappointed (as a neutral) with actual performances before today but I thought today was a much bolder statement.

You totally controlled the game against a side that looked problematic vs Germany and can ground out results. They looked so average today due to how England set up to counter quickly as well as win all the defensive battles.

They had no answer to England's pace and energy to stretch their defence, they bet on pushing up and forcing mistakes from the England defence and found probably the most comfortable England back three on the ball that I can ever remember.

Would love to see Henderson and Lingard plus the awareness of England's back three tracking Rakitic and Modric. That would be some opportunity to put their mark on the world stage.

Only caution is I noticed a few players in last two games (Henderson, Stones and Maguire) getting narky with opponents. I'm sure they were provoked but for me its the mentality of England's recently departed old guard - self entitled and easily irritated and knocked off their games. Opponents will target it and that's where distraction creeps in. There's no need, these guys play best when they remain humble and look like they are having fun. THAT exudes a confidence I don't associate with recent England teams and long may it continue.

Archived