IGNORED

Djuric - Signed for Salernitana CONFIRMED

Pisano The God

Big shame if this is true. Was looking forward to seeing what he could really do once fully fit. I think he could’ve been excellent for us.

If he wants to move back to Italy for family reasons though it’s hard to prevent that.

Fee is a bit disappointing too, what did we pay for him? 1.8m I thought. Now getting just over 500,000 for him? Injuries or not, given how much he’s played relative to the outlay - he has to go down as a failed signing unfortunately. That’s quite a big financial loss over 18 months.

Looking forward to all the Matt Smith suggestions. 

I know he’s only done it in league 2, a bit like Eisa so would be a risk, but Doidge at Forest Green looks a very good player.  

Sam Winnall we’ve also been linked with in the past. He’s ex Barnsley and we know Johnson loves that. Wouldn’t surprise me to see him come to us. 

Not sure if he’s injured though, he didn’t even make Sheffield Weds bench on Saturday. 

3 hours ago, Phileas Fogg said:

Big shame if this is true. Was looking forward to seeing what he could really do once fully fit. I think he could’ve been excellent for us.

If he wants to move back to Italy for family reasons though it’s hard to prevent that.

Fee is a bit disappointing too, what did we pay for him? 1.8m I thought. Now getting just over 500,000 for him? Injuries or not, given how much he’s played relative to the outlay - he has to go down as a failed signing unfortunately. That’s quite a big financial loss over 18 months.

Agreed.

Think the fee was circa £1.5m, so this is another £1m loss, for only 7 league starts..

Although we (just about) got our money back for Hörður, this deal, plus the disastrous Engvall one, and the fact that Hegeler has barely featured at all since joining us, puts that series of unsuccessful European signings very much into focus.

Don’t think it is a coincidence that the only 2 foreign signings we have made this summer were in the category of much safer bets, one who came from Derby (& before that was at Villa for a few years), whilst the other had spent 3 years at Brighton.

19 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

Agreed.

Think the fee was circa £1.5m, so this is another £1m loss, for only 7 league starts..

Although we (just about) got our money back for Hörður, this deal, plus the disastrous Engvall one, and the fact that Hegeler has barely featured at all since joining us, puts that series of unsuccessful European signings very much into focus.

Don’t think it is a coincidence that the only 2 foreign signings we have made this summer were in the category of much safer bets, one who came from Derby (& before that was at Villa for a few years), whilst the other had spent 3 years at Brighton.

It's a shame - he offers something none of the other strikers do. I think with a consistent run in the team he'd have got goals for us. 

I'm in favour of European signings generally, but clearly something has gone wrong over the last couple of years. Think that Hegeler, Magnússon, Djuric, and Eliasson are all good players (never saw enough of Engvall unsurprisingly!) but the fact that only 1 of them looks anywhere close to being a first team regular after a rough estimate of close to 8.5m spent is very poor. 

Admittedly Djuric and Hegeler have been very unlucky with injuries, but you have to accept injury as a calculated risk when signing a player. Neither of them look stylistically like the correct type of players for our system anyway which again brings the foreign scouting into question.

I've got high hopes for Eliasson, and I think he'll prove to be a very good signing. Nonetheless, that's a poor 2 years of foreign signings overall.

I'd like to think though that we're mature enough as a club not to do a public U-turn (which we did after Styvar) and basically say 'no more foreign signings'. It's a ridiculous thing to do. What we need to do is explore why these signings haven't worked out.

Djuric leaving frustrates me more than Bryan. I think we all knew Bryan would likely leave, but I really felt that Djuric had a lot to offer and was looking forward to seeing him play regularly.

If it’s a big lad to lead the line we might be looking for, thought Kieffer Moore at Barnsley was a handful the few times I saw him play last year.

Realise he’s only been there six months but at 6’ 5” and having bagged a few goals in a poor team, could be a useful option.

That said; get the feeling we might stick not twist, and try and play lik we did last season when we just had Reid and Pato up top for a lot of the time - worrying as think we could do with another option.

Could we possibly be freeing up our bigger earners (Duric gone, Flint gone, O'Neill gone, Bryan gone) to facilitate a premier league player on loan who would command half his wages being paid circa 20-25k a week ? Looking at the summer signings, whilst I suspect most are around the 10K mark, I don't think any of them would be commanding 20K+ a week. 

I’m not too worried about Djuric going. He was a decent option to have but his fitness record was always going to mean we would listen to offers and we never saw the best of him. We do need a replacement though, we look very lightweight for attacking options now he’s gone. 

As others have said, this really does bring into focus some of the poor business we’ve done overseas over the past few years. Another £1m loss on a lad who’s hardly played, not great is it? 

Hopefully it’ll be a lively couple of days of incomings now. 

That’s Flinty, Joe, Bobby and Milan all gone. If I had been manager, that’s the spine of my team. So we’re now spineless as far as I’m concerned. 

So time for for our manager and scouting team to step up to the plate, don’t prevaricate like you did with Bentley (gk), Watkins and Dack (attacking midfielders) ... just go out and buy some Championship-ready quality players will you. Try ticking boxes that says things like injury-free, consistent performers, leaders, physically up to the job...etc.

Rebuilding a spine with three days left of the transfer window is a tall order. What a mess. 

Id start by raiding Brentford for Bentley. 

47 minutes ago, samo II said:

If it’s a big lad to lead the line we might be looking for, thought Kieffer Moore at Barnsley was a handful the few times I saw him play last year.

Realise he’s only been there six months but at 6’ 5” and having bagged a few goals in a poor team, could be a useful option.

That said; get the feeling we might stick not twist, and try and play lik we did last season when we just had Reid and Pato up top for a lot of the time - worrying as think we could do with another option.

Very good shout.

Think he might be a Devon lad, too?

1 hour ago, Dolman Block B said:

Translated reads:

Important reinforcement in attack for the Salernitana, which is close for Milan Djuric.
The center forward 1990 returns to Italy, a year and a half after the transfer from Cesena to Bristol. The English club has now given the definitive ok to his transfer to Salernitana, which will invest 650 thousand euros for this new striker. Negotiation now signed, scheduled for tomorrow morning. For Djuric, a three-year contract is ready.

5 hours ago, Phileas Fogg said:

500,000 today, but with the trajectory of the £ if we can hold off for a day or two could be closer to £1m! 

54 minutes ago, Moor2Sea said:

So time for for our manager and scouting team to step up to the plate, don’t prevaricate like you did with Bentley (gk), Watkins and Dack (attacking midfielders) ... just go out and buy some Championship-ready quality players will you. Try ticking boxes that says things like injury-free, consistent performers, leaders, physically up to the job...etc.

Don't disagree with the sentiment.

Unfortuntely I believe they think they already have. Apart from replacing JB it seems they feel the players signed have covered the losses. Whether that will be enough we will discover over the next few months.

Djuric wants stability for his family, I suspect if we offered a 3 year deal he would stay. But that would equally upset a few on here as he’s not played as a number one choice.

I like Djuric and always thought he gave his all when coming on. But the games we’ve started with him the players seem to go long straight from the off. Was it Preston at home last season LJ took him off to try and stop them doing it? 

Archived