IGNORED

Djuric - Signed for Salernitana CONFIRMED

Pisano The God

2 hours ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

Who we paid £1.4 m for If reports were correct

Plus the wages and expensive private surgery

Along with Engvall some serious money burners

£1.62m according to Transfermarkt.

Mind you, that site says we got £2.52m (!?) for Magnússon so it's usually fairly accurate but not gospel!

4 hours ago, GrahamC said:

No argument.

I felt when he was an unused sub v Bournemouth & Famara came on instead that his time with us was up, also him being apparently “injured” on Saturday saved LJ from presumably choosing between him & Eisa for a place on the bench..

I can only presume that an alternative “Plan B” is now on their way in?

5 more games, (4 in the league) so until Famara is back, any combination of Weimann, Paterson, Taylor or Eisa is just Plan A followed by more Plan A..

I’m probably alone in not being too disappointed that we don’t have a lump ball as a Plan B, C, whatever.  Milan is a luxury to have on the bench.  Don’t get me wrong, if I thought LJ might start him 20 games, I’d keep him, but I don’t see that happening if we want to play predominantly through the thirds.

3 hours ago, Major Isewater said:

In fairness if LJ has said to the lad we see you as behind Famara in terms of position and we'll give you 15-20 minutes off the bench you can understand the pull of an Italian club who want to give him a starting place . 

A shame .

The problem is as the Major says, how do you keep a squad player happy when he isn’t gonna be 1st choice starter and he’s got interest from another club (from his old country prior to City).

Some Guy on twitter who seems to know about the deal is suggesting £300 per year wages (£6k pw).

Sounds like a loanee striker, who is good in the air, will be added.....any thoughts from anyone as to who it might be? Rumour, last season, was that Man City were prepared to look to send loanees our way, maybe this move will see that happening.

3 hours ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

Who we paid £1.4 m for If reports were correct

Plus the wages and expensive private surgery

Along with Engvall some serious money burners

But he wasn’t injury prone when we signed him.  My understanding is that he’d never had a serious injury before.  Just bad luck that he got crocked here - and I do believe that is all it was.  No reason to think that the club are in any way culpable in the rotten luck we’ve had with injuries.  He seemed like a good signing at the time, but his injuries have meant that we have probably never seen him at his best.

You win some, you lose some.  Much bigger clubs than us have lost money on perfectly reasonable transfer dealings which, for one reason or another, didn’t work out.  I’m with those who always worried that his lack of mobility didn’t suit our style, unless we were struggling and needed a gurt lump to hoof it up to.  

I find it strange that he hasn't got the CF spot nailed on for the first 6 games. Yes we like/prefer to pass and move but we also insist on buying wingers. He wins just about everything in the air and holds the ball up better than anyone else at the club, with a choice of about 4 different wingers to choose from to supply crosses seems a shame not to give him a run.
Horrible waste of time and money, I can understand him wanting to start games and looking to leave, what I find harder to understand is how we can continue to spunk money on players that  are rarely given a chance.  I bet the conversation with SL was interesting. 

8 minutes ago, 1960maaan said:

I find it strange that he hasn't got the CF spot nailed on for the first 6 games. Yes we like/prefer to pass and move but we also insist on buying wingers. He wins just about everything in the air and holds the ball up better than anyone else at the club, with a choice of about 4 different wingers to choose from to supply crosses seems a shame not to give him a run.
Horrible waste of time and money, I can understand him wanting to start games and looking to leave, what I find harder to understand is how we can continue to spunk money on players that  are rarely given a chance.  I bet the conversation with SL was interesting. 

Look, my understanding is that he wants to go back to Italy for family reasons.  If that is the case, then what choice does the club have?  Hardly a ‘horrible’ waste of time and money.  Without his goal against Rotherham we might have gone down, and without his cameo against Palace we wouldn’t have ended up beating Man Utd.  It hasn’t worked out for him because of injuries. I hope he does well wherever he goes, but he wasn’t quite as accomplished as you make out.

10 minutes ago, The Dolman Pragmatist said:

But he wasn’t injury prone when we signed him.  My understanding is that he’d never had a serious injury before.  Just bad luck that he got crocked here - and I do believe that is all it was.  No reason to think that the club are in any way culpable in the rotten luck we’ve had with injuries.  He seemed like a good signing at the time, but his injuries have meant that we have probably never seen him at his best.

You win some, you lose some.  Much bigger clubs than us have lost money on perfectly reasonable transfer dealings which, for one reason or another, didn’t work out.  I’m with those who always worried that his lack of mobility didn’t suit our style, unless we were struggling and needed a gurt lump to hoof it up to.  

He came with the injury

and why did we buy him (And not for loose change) when he never fitted the clear playing ethos

2 minutes ago, The Dolman Pragmatist said:

Look, my understanding is that he wants to go back to Italy for family reasons.  If that is the case, then what choice does the club have?  Hardly a ‘horrible’ waste of time and money.  Without his goal against Rotherham we might have gone down, and without his cameo against Palace we wouldn’t have ended up beating Man Utd.  It hasn’t worked out for him because of injuries. I hope he does well wherever he goes, but he wasn’t quite as accomplished as you make out.

Even if he does, £1.5m spent, plus 18 months wages & those trips abroad for surgery & recuperation in exchange for less than £600k back and 7 (!) League starts, is a pretty rotten deal.

I have read he prefers his daughter to start school in Italy so that’s why he wants to return.

I like him as a player but this doesn’t smack of the greatest due diligence, does it?

We all know kids reach school age at some point, so baffled as to why this has happened now..

There is no point in keeping someone who doesn’t want to be here and despite being an LJ signing, is seemingly now out of favour, but this is another failure from the “European experiment” for me.

1 minute ago, The Dolman Pragmatist said:

Look, my understanding is that he wants to go back to Italy for family reasons.  If that is the case, then what choice does the club have?  Hardly a ‘horrible’ waste of time and money.  Without his goal against Rotherham we might have gone down, and without his cameo against Palace we wouodn’t have ended up beating a Man Utd.  It hasn’t worked out for him because of injuries. I hope he does well wherever he goes, but he wasn’t quite as accomplished as you make out.

But would he have wanted to go if he had started games this season? To most it seemed obvious to at least give him a run at the start of the season.
The phrase was a comment on the club not against Djuric, I didn't say he was accomplished, but he is very effective and it is more to do with the time and money wasted on several player brought in, hardly played and moved on at large losses. I feel sorry for Djuric, played when injured and did well but just as he gets fit we sell him on at a loss, and he's not the only one.
It seems we have bought a player that doesn't fit and now have to offload, add Engvall and Mags and if not horrible the losses are not great.

15 hours ago, Phileas Fogg said:

Big shame if this is true. Was looking forward to seeing what he could really do once fully fit. I think he could’ve been excellent for us.

If he wants to move back to Italy for family reasons though it’s hard to prevent that.

Fee is a bit disappointing too, what did we pay for him? 1.8m I thought. Now getting just over 500,000 for him? Injuries or not, given how much he’s played relative to the outlay - he has to go down as a failed signing unfortunately. That’s quite a big financial loss over 18 months.

Significant loss for a player who looked decent on his day when fit (I remember him bullying Cardiff start of last season). Far from ideal but if he wants out what can you do 

Not sure how much more do dilligence would have helped. I don’t know the whoke story on the injury or if he had it when he arrived but it has been bad luck. Then 18 months for a person to change their mind is not unheard of. He may have thought he could make it work and it hasn’t. Terrible transfer for sure but going to get those. We seem to be aiming more domestically lately in the market where settling is not such a problem. Just need to move on

I think GrahamC it’s fair to say that financially for us Djuric has been a failure but has the ‘European experiment’ been a failure ? I’m not so sure.

The profit from Kodjia alone has probably more than covered the losses on sales. This time next year Famara (if he carries on from last season) could move on for £10m plus as could Eliasson maybe if he becomes a regular starter. We apparently broke even on Hörður and the jury is still out on Pisano, although he and Hegeler were fairly small fees if I recall. Taylor Moore could based on pre-season could also work out yet.

No argument about Engvall and Djuric spent a lot of recuperation time back in Italy in the Winter which gave him ample opportunity to consider options.

I suspect LJ has known for some time  that he would be leaving and would not be surprised if a replacement is already in the works although maybe a Premier League loanee. That of course could leave us without an adequate target man for a few weeks, which is far from ideal although Watkins may we’ll come into it now.

If he prefers to play in Italy for family reasons then good wishes to him.

I'd have done the same when I was young. And if my wife and I had gone to live in Italy in 2005 instead of Portugal, the odds are that we would never have come back. We keep going there for holidays every other year although need to find a cheaper base than Bologna last year. 

57 minutes ago, Johnny Musicworks said:

I think GrahamC it’s fair to say that financially for us Djuric has been a failure but has the ‘European experiment’ been a failure ? I’m not so sure.

The profit from Kodjia alone has probably more than covered the losses on sales. This time next year Famara (if he carries on from last season) could move on for £10m plus as could Eliasson maybe if he becomes a regular starter. We apparently broke even on Hörður and the jury is still out on Pisano, although he and Hegeler were fairly small fees if I recall. Taylor Moore could based on pre-season could also work out yet.

No argument about Engvall and Djuric spent a lot of recuperation time back in Italy in the Winter which gave him ample opportunity to consider options.

I suspect LJ has known for some time  that he would be leaving and would not be surprised if a replacement is already in the works although maybe a Premier League loanee. That of course could leave us without an adequate target man for a few weeks, which is far from ideal although Watkins may we’ll come into it now.

Yes, it was a strategy with more risk than focusing solely on the domestic market so the attrition rate was likely to be higher but it's important to look at the whole picture as you have done. We may well indeed be quids in overall.

1 hour ago, Johnny Musicworks said:

Kodjia was under a completely different regime, Cotts was in charge & the scout who identified him knew Pemberton from their time together at Forest.

Diedhiou was much more expensive but looks to me to be worth it, I’m not confident that I can say the same of any of the other signings from Europe as yet.

2 minutes ago, Martin89 said:

A few loose ends have took a bit longer than expected but it’s nearly complete.

Cheers for the update....I really liked him as a centre forward....controversial but I thought given a decent, injury-free run in the team he would have been so much more effective than Fammy.....a real shame if he goes...

5 hours ago, LondonBCFC said:

Significant loss for a player who looked decent on his day when fit (I remember him bullying Cardiff start of last season). Far from ideal but if he wants out what can you do 

From memory didn't he score v Cardiff, Sunderland and Palace in a bit of a purple patch? He took his goal well tbh v Palace particularly-...one we never saw the best of overall IMO- not least because of injuries.

18 hours ago, TDarwall said:

He tore us apart at Oakwell last Easter but that may have said more about us than him! Sure I’ve seen reports PNE were interested but out off by £2m fee.

This is correct. He wanted to come as well, but Barnsley were asking for £2m. It's too high but fair play to them, they don't need to sell financially and footballing wise he will boss that division and they'll be wanting to come straight back up.

9 hours ago, Johnny Musicworks said:

8 hours ago, chinapig said:

Yes, it was a strategy with more risk than focusing solely on the domestic market so the attrition rate was likely to be higher but it's important to look at the whole picture as you have done. We may well indeed be quids in overall.

Good posts, and @GrahamC‘s too.

I think it’s fair to say our European experiment has been mixed.

What we have seen this summer is a focus on English based players, even if they might originate from Austria or Sudan.  Some of that will because we are more established, sounder financially than we were 18/24 months ago when we signed Engvall, Magnússon, Moore, Hegeler, Djúric.  I doubt we could have attracted a Weimann or a Webster last summer, but there fees are decent when compared to 4 of the 5 listed above - Hegs was somewhere around the €250k mark.  That has given us more scope for home-based players of Champ experience.

Diedhiou was 12 months ago and we had to splash out a record fee.  

I think overall we still have to get better at scouting and recruitment.  We’ve brought in £25m (roughly) from the 4 main outgoing assuming Bryan goes for £6m, freed up a bit of wage bill, and brought in several players for about £9.5m (Adelakun fee tbc).  There will be signing on fees, and just like we’ll have additional clauses on our outgoing players, other clubs will have them on our new players, especially Webster.  Having said that we have put ourselves in an excellent position financially....the proof will be whether the likes of Mäenpää, Hunt, Watkins, Webster, Adelakun, Weimann and Eisa....together with Eliasson, Walsh and Moore can firstly keep us in the top half and secondly take us forward.

Lets see whether LJ brings in anyone else whether permanently or loan to cover Bryan and Djúric....assuming both deals are done.

17 hours ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Unless I'm missing a point.

People don't tend to out their sources...

Because if they out their sources, they will get no info from said source.

Whether people believe the source or not is up to them. I've honestly no idea if that poster is credible but yeah they won't out their source, definitely not.

Done. Nearly 650k (English money)

Archived