IGNORED

Djuric - Signed for Salernitana CONFIRMED

Pisano The God

2 hours ago, Antman said:

i've found reports too - they all seem to stem from that original story though.

plus how does/can a player agree terms before a transfer is agreed???

If this the Italian club trying to tap him up, we should ensure the fee is hefty!

Transfers can be done either way around, but of course, the other team has to ask permission to speak to Milan first.  In some respects it’s no good agreeing a fee but player doesn’t want to move or can’t afford his wage demands.  Nor vice versa.

2 hours ago, Antman said:

i've found reports too - they all seem to stem from that original story though.

plus how does/can a player agree terms before a transfer is agreed???

If this the Italian club trying to tap him up, we should ensure the fee is hefty!

I can't immediately pull examples to mind but I know there have been cases in the past where a club agree to sell a player in principle and let the player negotiate whilst the two clubs work out the exact value and structure of the deal. It would usually only happen when both clubs are confident they are not far apart and will ultimately reach agreement. It also could be conditional i.e. we have agreed we will make the sale but won't sign it off until our replacement is over the line.

Personally I like Djuric and would rather he stayed than not but would not be heartbroken if he went and can't picture him being a first team regular so would not begrudge him a move to a team that would put him in their first XI.

3 hours ago, JonDolman said:

Yep. And that's what we should be doing. Be brave and pass the ball, even if we are behind in a game. Like I've said before on here, Fulham didn't bring on a 6 ft 6 striker and smash balls into the box when behind in games last season. Nor did Wolves. 

He actually did change the side and formation in that game and it was a bad move. 

Surely its relative to the ability of your players though? Both Fulham and Wolves had some of the best technical players in the division so it makes sense. Same with Pep, who was another example given earlier. 

If you're working with roughly average players for the division and they are getting outclassed/performed with no extra 'gear' to move into, then sometimes you might need to adapt your tactics to see if that can help give you an edge in a different way. 

Selling him would, in my opinion, be a mistake. We could be without fam for the first 6 games that is where Duric could come into his own. He can hold the ball up and bring others into play as Fam does. Also if Diedhiou gets injured or knackered he can cover for him. We're getting in some width  so surely we need someone who can connect with crosses.

I think he's excellent. The way he wins everything in the air is joyful. I think he will benefit with wingers either side of him whipping the ball in. He's never going to be the sort to jinx his way behind the defence to get a goal or bother anyone with pace. His talents lie in aerial presence, laying the ball off, intimidating defenders and acting as a bodyguard to a pacey strike companion (think Heskey to Owen) . I think he has a decent shot on him too when he has the space. Verdict: keep. 

I think he's excellent. The way he wins everything in the air is joyful. I think he will benefit with wingers either side of him whipping the ball in. He's never going to be the sort to jinx his way behind the defence to get a goal or bother anyone with pace. His talents lie in aerial presence, laying the ball off, intimidating defenders and acting as a bodyguard to a pacey strike companion (think Heskey to Owen) . I think he has a decent shot on him too when he has the space. Verdict: keep. 

6 hours ago, Red Ferret said:

You can say that again! COYR 

By the look of him at Bitton yesterday he's clearly lost a lot of weight since we last saw him on the pitch, which he needed to do.  He didn't achieve much yesterday, but he looked the part.

Talking of big front men, I see that Lincoln have signed John Akinde.  Akinde and Matt Rhead up front together?  I wouldn't like to be centre half having to deal with that front line...

A fit Djuric has to be one to keep. He is quite skillful and all round game is good. He is so difficult to sop as well he isn't just a big target man. He scored in front of the South Stand last season where he bullied two or 3 defenders around him and smashed the ball in for a really good finish, I can't remember which game it was though. He offers something much different than the others. 

12 hours ago, Londoner said:

Hard working physical threat from set pieces.

Regularly injured cost over a million and will always be a bit part player.

Another European signing which has proven to be a disappointment....not the disaster of Engvall.

Please, let's focus on quality English talent. 

Djuric. Thanks for the service. But time to go.

How can you judge him as being a) regularly injured and b) a disappointment? 

He had a seriously unlucky injury which affected his game, it was a complete one off and now that he is over it hell be a much better player. I'd also say he's been one of our best foreign signings, hardly a disappointment... 

11 hours ago, LondonBristolian said:

Personally I like Djuric and would rather he stayed than not but would not be heartbroken if he went and can't picture him being a first team regular so would not begrudge him a move to a team that would put him in their first XI.

I would agree with you, but IF he goes, I do hope we recoup the fee we paid for him, otherwise we are burning money on these players we are shipping out.

Another European signing which has proven to be a disappointment....not the disaster of Engvall.

Don't understand the obsession with 'proven' and 'English' players.

Other clubs seem to integrate foreign players easily enough- not just talking PL but Championship.

All signings are a gamble of course to varying levels., almost no such thing- perhaps no such thing- as a surefire safe bet.

They have often offered (not for us but in general) strong value down the years, foreign players or more specifically the foreign transfer market so the fact we can't utilise it correctly in a lot of cases is a bit puzzling.

A balanced approach of foreign, home grown, Championship and lower League gems probably the way forward. The ideal aim anyway.

Djuric...he would have done well enough IMO, except his injuries thwarted that.

As for 'proven' Championship players.

Expensive and an asset yes, but no sure thing either...they sure helped Villa and Derby go up. What? Oh...

His nationality is irrelevant, there is no need to focus on English talent or otherwise, I would suggest more a focus on decent signings, which I'm pretty sure has always been the case.

Signings don't always work out, just the way it is.

Seems a strange one to me this. When he's played he's been brilliant, particularly considering he's never had a proper run in the side due to injury. He himself said that he's never really been injured properly before coming to Ashton Gate, so hopefully that is behind him and he's ready to go. Which makes it all the more strange... unless of course the staff have spotted something which concerns them long term.

Either way, this hurries the need for a new striker if true.

The problem is when he plays we lump aimless balls in his direction, our best football last season was without a target man and playing football on the ground. A decent option off the bench late on but wouldn't be overly bothered if he moved on.

1 hour ago, supercidered said:

A fit Djuric has to be one to keep. He is quite skillful and all round game is good. He is so difficult to sop as well he isn't just a big target man. He scored in front of the South Stand last season where he bullied two or 3 defenders around him and smashed the ball in for a really good finish, I can't remember which game it was though. He offers something much different than the others. 

Palace, in the cup

On ‎07‎/‎07‎/‎2018 at 10:07, JoeUTC said:

In a Italian Newspaper this morning Saleritana are in talks with City over Djuric. 

Can't blame him, Salerno is a lovely city right next to the Amalfi Coast.

13 hours ago, supercidered said:

I thought it was a league game. Memory is not what it was!

League Cup, so half there!

Home game against Cardiff he occupied 3 defenders which allowed Flint to charge in for a free header and score the winner.

No Djuric and Flint doesn't score.

Famara cant play in six games. Djuric was injuried last season. Think he is a good player to have. Hope he not leaves but can understand him If he not get so mutch gametime. The season is long so I prefer he will stay. His got no pace but he is strong and takes everything in the air. A fit Djuric is good for us.

23 hours ago, Super said:

The problem is when he plays we lump aimless balls in his direction, our best football last season was without a target man and playing football on the ground. A decent option off the bench late on but wouldn't be overly bothered if he moved on.

Probably right, but maybe that says more about the quality of the players who feel the need to lump it?

Peter Crouch was viewed similarly, but really surprised me (live) how much more he had to his game than just being the 'big lad, target man'. 

From the limited time I have seen him, maybe Milan has more to offer as well, Better players will work with that.

1 minute ago, chalkeyred said:

Probably right, but maybe that says more about the quality of the players who feel the need to lump it?

Peter Crouch was viewed similarly, but really surprised me (live) how much more he had to his game than just being the 'big lad, target man'. 

From the limited time I have seen him, maybe Milan has more to offer as well, Better players will work with that.

He is a lot better technically than many would assume. I think his touch is generally and control is better than Diedhiou's actually. Playing in Italy has probably given him a good grounding. Really hope he stays and is fully fit - he'd be serious competition for Famara if so.

3 hours ago, chalkeyred said:

3 hours ago, Phileas Fogg said:

He is a lot better technically than many would assume. I think his touch is generally and control is better than Diedhiou's actually. Playing in Italy has probably given him a good grounding. Really hope he stays and is fully fit - he'd be serious competition for Famara if so.

I think his injury issues have affected his mobility which in turn would impact on these aspects of his game.I think it has been said that he has carried his injuries from before he joined us and it was only last season that the injury problem was properly diagnosed and treated ( operated). 

Over the years there have been many big men playing up front and the instinct is to see them only for their ariel threat. Currently Crouch is the obvious  example, who is far better technically then many give him credit. For the older fans, I remember Roger Davies at Derby, and tall guy but very skilful ( apart from one memorable miss against Chelsea I can remember) Perhaps Duric is in this bracket and offers a lot more than just being a big target man.

4 hours ago, downendcity said:

I think his injury issues have affected his mobility which in turn would impact on these aspects of his game.I think it has been said that he has carried his injuries from before he joined us and it was only last season that the injury problem was properly diagnosed and treated ( operated). 

Over the years there have been many big men playing up front and the instinct is to see them only for their ariel threat. Currently Crouch is the obvious  example, who is far better technically then many give him credit. For the older fans, I remember Roger Davies at Derby, and tall guy but very skilful ( apart from one memorable miss against Chelsea I can remember) Perhaps Duric is in this bracket and offers a lot more than just being a big target man.

He said in an interview after his op that he`d only been at best 70% fit for years and for the first time for ages he was playing with no pain.

I hope he stays.

9 hours ago, Phileas Fogg said:

Think he might have a good football brain too.

I mentioned the Flint winner vs Cardiff earlier in the thread, where Djuric occupied 3 defenders.

If you watch, he makes no movement towards the ball, he is aware of the players he has occupied as they are making contact with him.

If Djuric goes to the ball to try and get the header, he would have been bringing 3 defenders with him.

By staying still he keeps the space where Flint ends up empty.

12 hours ago, JamesBCFC said:

I mentioned the Flint winner vs Cardiff earlier in the thread, where Djuric occupied 3 defenders.

If you watch, he makes no movement towards the ball, he is aware of the players he has occupied as they are making contact with him.

If Djuric goes to the ball to try and get the header, he would have been bringing 3 defenders with him.

Top ' not moving ' there .

12 hours ago, JamesBCFC said:

A tactic I employed often in my playing days, when I was knackered and needing a rest., 

When my manager balled me out for having a breather, I told him that by staying still I was keeping the space I would otherwise have occupied empty for a teammate to move into.

1 hour ago, Major Isewater said:

Top ' not moving ' there .

I watched Barcelona hammer Celtic in a Champions League game at Parkhead, and the best player on the pitch was a top 'non-mover'.

In amongst Suarez and Neymar, Lionel Messi created so much space for himself by 'not-moving,' efficiently.....

When he did move, that was fairly efficient as well.... 

Conclusion: Duric = Messi.

Archived