IGNORED

R-I-P Alan Gilzean

7 minutes ago, East End Old Boy said:

Unless my memory is fading, he scored with a great header at the East End during the 1970 League Cup semi-final?

I was there that night and think you are right.

It finished  1-1 but for the life of me can't remember who scored for us.

1 hour ago, East End Old Boy said:

Unless my memory is fading, he scored with a great header at the East End during the 1970 League Cup semi-final?

Yep, I was there that night.  First time I can remember City playing against tip class oposition and a decent job of it they made.  RIP Alan

2 minutes ago, Merrick's Marvels said:

I believe Gilzean was living in Weston-super-Mare, of all places.

That does surprise me.

30 minutes ago, Merrick's Marvels said:

I believe Gilzean was living in Weston-super-Mare, of all places.

Brilliant book written about him recently (the last few years), he completely disappeared from circulation & said he wanted nothing more to do with football.

Persuaded to go back to Spurs a few times since but was clearly a reclusive character, a brilliant striker in his day.

1 hour ago, The Bard said:

He played for the Dundee side that got to the European Cup semi Finals.  

Dundee...

Also played for the Dundee team that won the League title. In those days Dundee were much the top team in Dundee (United not even in the top flight much) but still to beat Celtic and Rangers to the title was an amazing feat.

One of my most memorable nights at ashton Gate. I was 8 yrs old and my favourite 1st division team were spurs. To stand in the open end and watch Chivers, Peters and Gilzean was magical. Without referring to the inter web I think we took them to extra time in the 2nd leg.

Archived