IGNORED

Birmingham City Transfer Embargo / Points Deduction (Merged)

It’sSmiittthhh

‘Arry spent too much! (AGAIN)

Birmingham City's transfer window has been plunged into uncertainty amid reports that the club have been placed under a transfer embargo by the EFL.

It is claimed by respected Blues blogger Dan Ivery that the EFL have declined to register Kristian Pedersen as a Blues player - and that they have enforced a transfer embargo.

https://www.birminghammail.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/what-transfer-embargo-what-would-14885448

1 minute ago, You Do The Dziekanowski said:

It’s another Villa imo. Not many players have any resale value. Che Adams? The striker and Vassell but not enough to get them out of the mess they are in

Adams and Harlee Dean were the two I was thinking of, Dean wouldn't really be needed given our CB situation, we'd be shunting Webster straight back out the the team.

2 minutes ago, hodge said:

Adams and Harlee Dean were the two I was thinking of, Dean wouldn't really be needed given our CB situation, we'd be shunting Webster straight back out the the team.

Yes forgot Dean. Still can’t imagine he’d be costing upwards of £5m. Same for Adams hardly set the league alight last season. 

Just now, Mr Popodopolous said:

Surely Jota- he's 27 but a good player.

Could do better at a more expansive team IMO, has he did at Brentford. Not saying we'd need him but he would have a value IMO (got 3 assists in 4 games for Brentford pre his move).

Birmingham are supposedly paying him £40,000 a week 

2 minutes ago, hodge said:

Birmingham are supposedly paying him £40,000 a week 

Wow.

No wonder they are in shit- they will struggle to shift him unless it's to a side down from PL with cash to spend.

Might seem a bit left-field but maybe Marc Roberts. Did very well at Barnsley, and again aged 27 approaching peak central defender age range, the odd club (lower PL or parachute payment rich) may have a look.

Reading the article it mentions Forest are now under an Embargo, is that correct and does it mean they can;t register their old signings or is it a cut and paste mistake from their previous embargo. I ask because it also mentions Millwall getting let off because they were relegated but of course lst season they weren't.

To sum up I think some of that article is talking about 4 years ago.

1 hour ago, BRISTOL86 said:

Haha classic Redknapp. Any club that is stupid enough to employ him deserves everything they get. 

I don’t agree with that at all...

As Bournemouth boss he won the 3rd division title for them with 97 points

As West Ham boss he took them to a 5th place finish in the premier league whilst developing and giving debuts to Frank Lampard Jnr, Michael Carrick, Glen Johnson, Jermain Defoe, Joe Cole, Rio Ferdinand etc, he also bought Paolo Di Canio

As Pompey boss the first time, he won the division one title for them, took them into the premier league and kept them there whilst the other two clubs that went up with Pompey were relegated after one season. He resigned when a Director of Football was appointed above him and he turned down Mandaric’s pay off offer of a car plus £150k saying he should invest it in Pompey’s youth development programme.

As Saints boss he was unsuccessful and resigned when Clive Woodward was appointed to the coaching staff saying he couldn’t work with him

As Pompey boss the second time, he took them to a 9th placed finish in the premier league, he won the FA Cup for them and was granted the ‘Freedom of Portsmouth’ shortly after leaving 

As Spurs boss he took them to two 4th placed finishes in the premier league, took them into the champions league and was awarded ‘Premier League Manager of the Year’ 

As QPR boss they were relegated under him but he got them promoted back to the premier league the next season, he left when he said his health meant he couldn’t give 100% to the job

And as for the regular ‘he left every club he was manager of in a state of bankruptcy’ claims.....

At Bournemouth he bought players for £1.12m and sold players for £1.77m

At West Ham he bought players for £52m and sold players for £77m

At Pompey the first time, he bought players for £7.65m and sold players for £5.4m

At Saints he bought players for £2.5m and sold players for £16m

At Pompey the second time, he bought players for £68m and sold players for £100m

At Spurs he bought players for £227m and sold players for £230m

So, those figures pretty much show that he hasn’t left any club bankrupt, but the hysterical way people claim he ‘bled clubs dry’ etc is hilarious, the owners of all his clubs sanctioned transfers and salaries, it wasn’t down to Harry. But he spent less than he brought in....and whilst he was at Pompey they made an offer for Papa Bouba Diop which was turned down, the owner Mandaric wanted to make an improved offer but Harry told him not to as the player wasn’t worth the increased fee...and he said at all his clubs he wasn’t involved in the negotiations regarding players’ salaries so he didn’t know what they earned. 

So, you think clubs that employ him are ‘stupid’ - I think his track record of success, and consistently spending less than he brought in, suggests otherwise....

I don’t deny he has an undoubted track record of success in the past (well, some of it) but he’s been on a massive downward curve since Spurs.

Re transfer fees, fair enough, if those figures are accurate then it’s a pretty misleading portrayal that’s commonly painted about the financial state of the clubs he managed. What about QPR and Brum?

Of course those sanctioning/negotiating have to take most of the blame for the current state at Brum, as I doubt HR had an open cheque book, but frankly I wouldn’t want him anywhere near my club.

As a casual observer it just feels like he’s been let loose with a copy of football manager and a cheat code for unlimited money. Either way, regardless of the blame, his spell at Brum was an unmitigated disaster. Would you employ him now at this level? I wouldn’t. 

35 minutes ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

I don’t agree with that at all...

As Bournemouth boss he won the 3rd division title for them with 97 points

As West Ham boss he took them to a 5th place finish in the premier league whilst developing and giving debuts to Frank Lampard Jnr, Michael Carrick, Glen Johnson, Jermain Defoe, Joe Cole, Rio Ferdinand etc, he also bought Paolo Di Canio

As Pompey boss the first time, he won the division one title for them, took them into the premier league and kept them there whilst the other two clubs that went up with Pompey were relegated after one season. He resigned when a Director of Football was appointed above him and he turned down Mandaric’s pay off offer of a car plus £150k saying he should invest it in Pompey’s youth development programme.

As Saints boss he was unsuccessful and resigned when Clive Woodward was appointed to the coaching staff saying he couldn’t work with him

As Pompey boss the second time, he took them to a 9th placed finish in the premier league, he won the FA Cup for them and was granted the ‘Freedom of Portsmouth’ shortly after leaving 

As Spurs boss he took them to two 4th placed finishes in the premier league, took them into the champions league and was awarded ‘Premier League Manager of the Year’ 

As QPR boss they were relegated under him but he got them promoted back to the premier league the next season, he left when he said his health meant he couldn’t give 100% to the job

And as for the regular ‘he left every club he was manager of in a state of bankruptcy’ claims.....

At Bournemouth he bought players for £1.12m and sold players for £1.77m

At West Ham he bought players for £52m and sold players for £77m

At Pompey the first time, he bought players for £7.65m and sold players for £5.4m

At Saints he bought players for £2.5m and sold players for £16m

At Pompey the second time, he bought players for £68m and sold players for £100m

At Spurs he bought players for £227m and sold players for £230m

So, those figures pretty much show that he hasn’t left any club bankrupt, but the hysterical way people claim he ‘bled clubs dry’ etc is hilarious, the owners of all his clubs sanctioned transfers and salaries, it wasn’t down to Harry. But he spent less than he brought in....and whilst he was at Pompey they made an offer for Papa Bouba Diop which was turned down, the owner Mandaric wanted to make an improved offer but Harry told him not to as the player wasn’t worth the increased fee...and he said at all his clubs he wasn’t involved in the negotiations regarding players’ salaries so he didn’t know what they earned. 

So, you think clubs that employ him are ‘stupid’ - I think his track record of success, and consistently spending less than he brought in, suggests otherwise....

Fees aren't everything, hugely inflated wages often killed the clubs financially, Jota on £40,000 a week for example.

5 minutes ago, hodge said:

Fees aren't everything, hugely inflated wages often killed the clubs financially, Jota on £40,000 a week for example.

As I said, Redknapp says he had nothing to do with wages - the various clubs’ owners dealt with that....so, nothing to do with him...I don’t recall Milan Mandaric, Daniel Levy etc correcting Harry when he said that publicly...do you really think Harry could tell the owners what salary they had to pay a player? 

8 minutes ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

As I said, Redknapp says he had nothing to do with wages - the various clubs’ owners dealt with that....so, nothing to do with him...I don’t recall Milan Mandaric, Daniel Levy etc correcting Harry when he said that publicly...do you really think Harry could tell the owners what salary they had to pay a player? 

I wouldn't admit to it either. Why get into a slanging match when  enough people don't trust a word he says anyway. A bit like arguing with Henbury Gas. 

2 hours ago, Davefevs said:

As others are saying, Adams, Dean and Stockdale the pickings of that squad based on omossible affordability / fit with our recruitment profile.

Didnt realise Jutkiewicz was 29....always thought he was underrated.

No Dave, just no. Respect yer knowledge and all but no, definitely no. 

Last time he was any good was years back, making Matt Hill look silly scoring against us for swindle. Since then, a shjtehouse I

16 minutes ago, Merrick's Marvels said:

No Dave, just no. Respect yer knowledge and all but no, definitely no. 

Last time he was any good was years back, making Matt Hill look silly scoring against us for swindle. Since then, a shjtehouse I

Wasn’t suggesting we sign a 29 year old, but he is underrated.  When we all thought Wilbs was due retirement (at various points!!!) I thought he was a sensible suggestion in terms of where we were recruitment wise last season, season before etc and his back-to-goal style.  He actually gave our back four a tough time at home this season.

However, it is clear we have stepped up a gear this year summer, and we need to be looking at more quality than him.

I would probably prefer Adams over Marriott.  22 in a few days time, explosive striker....but I think our striker business is done unless someone leaves (Djúric or less likely Taylor)

1 hour ago, Red Cloud said:

aahhhhhh one of those famous "Transfer Embargos" - give it a month and they'll be signing players all over the shop!

Bolton would beg to differ if their transfer embargo sets a precedent...

The terms of their one? If it's similar they (Birmingham) won't be signing anyone until their issues are sorted.

Anyway this, Bolton's restrictions and QPR's consistent cost cutting last 2-3 years- plus look at Norwich and their transfer revenue in January and this window? It shows the system works.

4 hours ago, Busterrimes said:

Reading the article it mentions Forest are now under an Embargo, is that correct and does it mean they can;t register their old signings or is it a cut and paste mistake from their previous embargo. I ask because it also mentions Millwall getting let off because they were relegated but of course lst season they weren't.

To sum up I think some of that article is talking about 4 years ago.

Nobody has picked up on your remarks Buster but since Forest are on a spending spree I would think you are correct. Either the Greek guy has legally sorted the mess they were in and satisfied the FL, which sounds like an oxymoron, or he is fully prepared for a fine, down the line, which if QPR is anything to go by will be continually booted into the long grass while they get promoted. Nothing if not an interesting read ahead I feel with this club.

Archived