IGNORED

Croatia v. England - Official Matchday Thread

CyderInACan

1 minute ago, wendyredredrobin said:

What happened at half time? Thought we had done enough to win the game and didn't respond to Croatias tactical change. 2nd best, 2nd strongest, 2nd most committed and 2nd to every ball after that.

This is something that has really bugged me tonight, the likes of Gary Neville  ( not you! ) stating how much better we were than Croatia for the first half.

Games aren’t won in one half of football. 

43 minutes ago, Super said:

I think Kane looked injured. He was shocking.

I'm still not convinced Kane is truly world class - great penalty taker though he is. But although he went missing tonight, I think he and the lads can hold their heads up. Was a decent tournament, even if their longevity was massively helped by their easy draw.

3 minutes ago, Portland Bill said:

Agree, but until we find one or two technically very good midfielders/ number 10’s we are never going to get to the next level. We lack creativity big time against the better sides. 

Probably true Bill.

However, I think we were handicapped tonight by Young being obviously well off the pace so it enabled Croatia to dominate down our LHS. Also Ali was a virtually passenger ( which he has been since his injury) and against the Croatia midfield you need to be fine on all cylinders. 

The first half showed what we can do, even against technically better teams, but it was just a step too far I think.

2 minutes ago, Portland Bill said:

This is something that has really bugged me tonight, the likes of Gary Neville  ( not you! ) stating how much better we were than Croatia for the first half.

Yeah, but they can be if you take your chances, and we wasted two or three guilt-edged ones to put the game to bed.

1 minute ago, Portland Bill said:

No but had we got a second goal in first half not sure they would of come back. Huge result for them only being one down.

57 minutes ago, swanker said:

How on earth did we lose that? What a chance to get to the final, Southgate should have made some changes earlier. 

As much as Stirling frustrates me playing for England, for me we lost that from the moment he was subbed. They were so wary of his pace it stopped their defence from pushing up too far, after he went off they pushed up denying us space to pass forward so we resorted to hit and hope longs balls. Should have taken the ineffective Alli off for Loftus-Cheek instead at that stage.

Lost the midfield battle second half sadly. It doesn’t quite work with Lingard and Ali in Midfield.

mind you first 45 was damn excellent and we should have taken on of the chances created.

We panicked second half and that invited pressure as in to extra time we started to get a grip on midfield again.

Kane has been playing deeper but not sure why. Is very streetwise in buying free kicks and you can tell the class as he always seems to find that bit more time.

Back three is a work in progress one of them needs to step out in to midfield will help if we persist with Alli and Lingard.

Need to find a l eft wing back and not convinced Sterling has ‘it’ at international level.

Need to remember we’re a footballing lightweight and this could be a fluke. I hope not

dare to dream it could be the start of England being regular last quarter or semi finalists.

1 minute ago, old_eastender said:

As much as Stirling frustrates me playing for England, for me we lost that from the moment he was subbed. They were so wary of his pace it stopped their defence from pushing up too far, after he went off they pushed up denying us space to pass forward so we resorted to hit and hope longs balls. Should have taken the ineffective Alli off for Loftus-Cheek instead at that stage.

Alli was poor in 2nd half but created chances in the first -it’s as if he kept him on just in case - same for Kane . Agree about sterling - thought he looked good but Kane didn’t seem to be on the same wavelength as him . 

Other than the Panama match, Lingard and Ali have been ineffective all tournament. Tonight they were joined by Kane. The manager had a bad night with his substitutions. Could he not see that Ali was done on the left after 50 minutes. Could he not see Henderson was being over run in midfield. 

Oh well. Disappointing but we clearly over achieved anyway. Let the hype fade away . And the casual football fans . 

2 minutes ago, old_eastender said:

I don't really rate Dele Alli. I thought Lingard did well during the tournament, although both were outclassed by Croatia's midfield today

Seriously, we have beaten Tunisia, Panama, Columbia (on pens) and Sweden.  Hardly world powerhouses are they.  We lost to Belgium, lost to Croatia and will no doubt lose to Belgium again.  Hardly a stunning WC performance really. We haven't had to play Germany, Brazil, Argentina, Spain, Italy or Holland, have we.  The feats of this mediocre team and manager have been massively overstated.

1 minute ago, wendyredredrobin said:

Seriously, we have beaten Tunisia, Panama, Columbia (on pens) and Sweden.  Hardly world powerhouses are they.  We lost to Belgium, lost to Croatia and will no doubt lose to Belgium again.  Hardly a stunning WC performance really. We haven't had to play Germany, Brazil, Argentina, Spain, Italy or Holland, have we.  The feats of this mediocre team and manager have been massively overstated.

Cheer up you miserable bastard.

What excited us all was when our side of the draw opened up with Germany going out and then Spain. All of a sudden we had a set of opponents who we felt we could beat. Then on the other half of the draw, Brazil went out. It started to look like we had a chance of not just making the final but winning it.

That is the problem. To be world cup winners we need a team that we feel will beat anyone on the way to the Final. This tournament opened up for us and yet we still couldn't reach the Final. In the League Cup last season Bristol City beat 4 Prem sides and went out in the semi-finals to the best team in the land but gave them a good fight over two legs, even being in the lead after a quarter of the tie. England didn't do that.The way the tournament opened up for us it's like in the League Cup avoiding any premier sides and then rubbing our hands with glee as Prem side after Prem side is knocked out by lower league opposition and City see a route to the Final without meeting a team above them in the league structure. Then going out in the semi-finals against a mid table championship side.

England beat Tunisia, Panama, Columbia on pens and a dour Sweden. We did fine, But we are not world beaters. When we have a team who can beat the best in the world then we will be and I will be proud.

So far off from being a top side . After that great start apart from the Kane chance we really didn't look like scoring again.

Young side I know but to watch the top teams break at pace different game to us. With Young our outlet down the left no one is busting a gut getting beyond him because he's going to drag it back on to his right foot then stop, pass it inside or back.

Ok he takes a nice corner or freekick, but come on when we play top sides they know they are in no danger when we break down our left.

Apart from that from 30mins on we were 2nd best. Subs were bemusing, Vardy. Needed to come on when Croatia were on the front foot and leaving space behind not when there sat back to late.

For me great to see young players getting a go but still traits of managers past and not giving it that real gamble, Loftus Cheek or Dier?

Thank **** it's another two years to the next attempt.!!

9 minutes ago, wendyredredrobin said:

Germany lost to Mexico and South Korea, shit.

Brazil flattered to deceive, drew v Swiss, barely beat Costa Rica and lost to Belgium.

Argentina, total rubbish got pumped by Croatia, drew v Iceland.

Spain won 1 out of 4 and couldn't beat Morocco or Russia.

Italy or Holland give me a break they both lost out to Sweden.

Undeniably England were better and did better than all of them.

10 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

Have to disagree on that. We have been saying we lack creativity in midfield all these years. Even when we had the likes of Carrick, scholes, lampard and Gerrard we would say we can't keep the ball, we can't create. Pundits and fans always think an individual or 2 will sort the problem. Its basic tactics is where we seem to go so wrong in every tournament I can remember. It's usually how unorganised we are which is the problem. And same tonight. This 3322 system has never looked right to me. Alli  and Lingard had far too much to do. Having to cover central areas, wide areas and support the 2 up top. It meant they kind of did all these roles, but badly. We had to change to a 4141/ 433 formation. Leave one up top and get wingers to support Alli and lingard in their attacking and defensive duties. That would make their jobs a lot easier. We then have much easier out balls on the break with sterling and one other winger in much more space. That croatia goal was coming and we could see it was coming from that right side. So so poor from Southgate. Teams always suss us out after the first half and Gareth just brings on Rashford and one or two others and just hopes we improve, without seeing what exactly the problem is and sorting it by moving players around. 

The Classic dilemma with the back three and wing backs

They pegged our wing backs back , rather than us pushing the other way , until we were playing a back 5 and a narrow one at that

heard them say in extra time that Lingard had covered 14kn , Christ knows what he finished at - crazy figure

Southgate has come away with a lot of credit but we were found out tactically tonight and with IMHO the substitutions

Gutted - I’ve seen us have chances and threaten at WCs before but we’ve always had a Germany , Argentina or Brazil or Portugal and poser boy to overcome 

This was a massive opportunity - we have something to build on but 4 years is a long time and Spain , Italy , Germany , etc etc will all be better

Gutted

Really disappointed to lose but in truth what did we really learn? 

We had the better of the first half and had 2 glorious chances (Kane and Lingard) to extend our lead. We weren’t good enough to take them. Against Tunisia and Sweden exactly the same thing happened but we we still had enough to beat two average sides regardless. Against a better team, we were punished. At some stage, it was always likely to happen.

From the start of the second half today, we were poor and conceded the midfield to a side with some terrific players. It was always likely to cost us. France proved last night that they can defend a lead in that situation but we just weren’t quite up to it. 

The big disappointment for me was the winning goal. Stones has had a superb tournament, but that one vital lapse in concentration that you always feared he might fall victim to ended up happening. I’m gutted for him but is it really a surprise?

In conclusion, a really disappointing night. Let’s just hope we progress from here and don’t end up back in the dark ages like we have after the last few England semi finals. 

28 minutes ago, wendyredredrobin said:

Portugal won the 2016 Euros

Drew with Iceland Austria Hungary

won v Croatia in extra time

Poland on pens

Wales ( Big deal)

France in extra time

Won the euros winning ONE game in 90 mins

DO YOU THINKTHEY GIVE A DUCK WHO THEY PLAYED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Disapointed to see us collapse after thier equaliser. Just seemed to lose their way. Ultimately seemed like a typical England performance where they don' t take there chances to kill the game and then they slowly fade.

Just hope something positive comes from what has been a very positive WC. We need to find a creative midfielder from somewhere and someone in Sterlings position that can find the net fairly regularly.

Let's not get lost wallowing in our own sadness.

U17s - World Cup winners

U20s - World Cup winners

Seniors - World Cup semi-finalists

It's good news for the English game, we're in such a good place right now. Don't be sad it's over, be happy it happened.

1 hour ago, TheCulturalBomb said:

Wilshire and Chamberlain for Ali and Lingard. Both better attackers and can move and get by players.

Getting hate for this but both of them proved they are excellent at getting past players and making key passes that can open defences. BOTH of them have done it for England against teams like Germany and Brazil.

8 minutes ago, TheCulturalBomb said:

Getting hate for this but both of them proved they are excellent at getting past players and making key passes that can open defences. BOTH of them have done it for England against teams like Germany and Brazil.

Wilshere is past it. I would've simply brought in Loftus Cheek for Delle Ali, and Vardy for Sterling. Simples

Archived