IGNORED

FFP Starting to Bite- Chance to take advantage?

Mr Popodopolous

1 minute ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

If this is accurate, and it's still IF at this stage, interesting times ahead...

A case of the system works? Wonder which 6 they would be.

At a guess, Villa, Brum, Sheff Wednesday, Derby, Leeds and QPR?

4 minutes ago, Vespa Red said:

At a guess, Villa, Brum, Sheff Wednesday, Derby, Leeds and QPR?

I actually am not so sure about Leeds, lowest wage bill % in 16/17 in terms of revenue to turnover- plus amongst the highest commercial revenues in the division.

QPR seem more likely, but given their wage bill slashing in recent times and sales, they may well be on a more sustainable path.

The other 4 I would certainly think likely- another name might throw into the mix, Reading. Because they spent a fair whack last season after their playoff final loss v Huddersfield and the first year post parachute payments.

10 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

If this is accurate, and it's still IF at this stage, interesting times ahead...

A case of the system works? Wonder which 6 they would be.

Would laugh so hard if Forest were one- after their spending spree this summer.

Probably is forest. That y they r spending now before it’s to late. 

2 minutes ago, onlyotib said:

Probably is forest. That y they r spending now before it’s to late. 

EFL could perhaps refuse to register the players - so it would actually mess them up doubly.

The players under contract? Forest would either have to sell them asap, or pay without being able to pay.

My theory if if is Forest, FWIW.

Their debt write off of £40m when the Greek guy brought them has not been accepted by the EFL and now they are under embargo as it changed their FFP figures from profit to failure of FFP.

1 minute ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

EFL could perhaps refuse to register the players - so it would actually mess them up doubly.

The players under contract? Forest would either have to sell them asap, or pay without being able to pay.

My theory if if is Forest, FWIW.

Their debt write off of £40m when the Greek guy brought them has not been accepted by the EFL and now they are under embargo as it changed their FFP figures from profit to failure of FFP.

The thing is I do believe they have to clamp down hard on it but the problem is by the time they get round to doing it these clubs hav great squads and they will impose a tiny fine. More needs to be done. Like Bournemouth’s case. Give them a fine after promotion. Not good enough really 

7 minutes ago, onlyotib said:

The thing is I do believe they have to clamp down hard on it but the problem is by the time they get round to doing it these clubs hav great squads and they will impose a tiny fine. More needs to be done. Like Bournemouth’s case. Give them a fine after promotion. Not good enough really 

Hence why projected accounts and refusal to register players etc can bring it forward.

Precedent- Birmingham brought a Danish left back this summer. They are now under embargo apparently, so the player brought a month ago has not been registered by the EFL and he cannot therefore play for them for the foreseeable (assuming their embargo is kosher).

That's the thing- projected accounts, as in projected and submitted by the clubs in March can mean that a punishment is applied for this season rather than a year or 2 later.

Fully agree with you about the old system where accounts as indeed they still are submitted for say this season in December 2018 or early in 2019, but this is all based on the club's own estimates sent to the EFL as per the new rules.

The system possibly works.

1 minute ago, onlyotib said:

You are right,  as it does seem that the reward for breaching the financial rules has outweighed the penalty for so doing. Also, as in QPR's case it has seemed that on achieving promote to the prem a club is then out of reach of the football league sanctions and it has not been until they are related that penalties can be levied.

However, Im sure I read a post on QPR's forum not that long ago about FFP saying that penalties for breaching financial rules have recently changed.

I think I am right in saying that a club in breach can now be penalised in the same season and the penalties include points deduction  and preventing a club taking their place in the prem, even if they have won promotion. This is on top of transfer embargoes and financial fines.

Bolton, it's hard to say- it really is.

Their last embargo seriously restricted their wages able to be spent on new players- and with the increased income of the Championship, they maybe able to scrape along without one, although on free transfers and low wages players anyway.

2 minutes ago, downendcity said:

You are right,  as it does seem that the reward for breaching the financial rules has outweighed the penalty for so doing. Also, as in QPR's case it has seemed that on achieving promote to the prem a club is then out of reach of the football league sanctions and it has not been until they are related that penalties can be levied.

However, Im sure I read a post on QPR's forum not that long ago about FFP saying that penalties for breaching financial rules have recently changed.

I think I am right in saying that a club in breach can now be penalised in the same season and the penalties include points deduction  and preventing a club taking their place in the prem, even if they have won promotion. This is on top of transfer embargoes and financial fines.

They can indeed.

This is the 3rd season of those new regs.

2 minutes ago, Pezo said:

What if its us? 

Then there will be a lot of posters complaining that SL should have put a plan in place to make the club more financially self sufficient in order to avoid us falling foul of the financial rules. :whistle:

1 hour ago, hodge said:

Bolton perhaps? Don't think they've been in the greatest states recently, certainly weren't when they went down. Derby you'd guess given the lack of transfer activity, Villa/Brum nailed on. 

There was definitely something I saw last week (maybe week before possibly), that did hint that things weren't great still. Really wouldn't surprise me if they were hit.

13 minutes ago, Bristol Rob said:

Norwich have been trying to offload players for a while as well.

Also not a bad shout. Pretty sure they've been trying to get rid of the high earners from January onwards. 

Just goes to prove that promotion on the back of a relegation is never a foregone certaintity. The way we go about business can sometimes be frustrating, especially when clubs like Bournemouth come along and buck the trend, but it's more proof that the way the club is being run is the right way to do things (puts tin hat on!)

16 minutes ago, Taz said:

There was definitely something I saw last week (maybe week before possibly), that did hint that things weren't great still. Really wouldn't surprise me if they were hit.

Also not a bad shout. Pretty sure they've been trying to get rid of the high earners from January onwards. 

Just goes to prove that promotion on the back of a relegation is never a foregone certaintity. The way we go about business can sometimes be frustrating, especially when clubs like Bournemouth come along and buck the trend, but it's more proof that the way the club is being run is the right way to do things (puts tin hat on!)

I think Bolton are too skint to have breached FFP surely? 

1 hour ago, downendcity said:

Totally agree with everything u say but the point deduction is harsh I think for the fans more than anything. Think they will soon have to go down that route tho 

39 minutes ago, onlyotib said:

Totally agree with everything u say but the point deduction is harsh I think for the fans more than anything. Think they will soon have to go down that route tho 

Unfortunately the financial rewards for promotion to the prem mean that a fine is a risk club's will feel worth risking. As with so many offences now I think finding a way to hit clubs with points deductions is the only way to achieve anything, but doubt that football's administrators will have the balls to stand up to the top clubs with this option.

BIRMINGHAM EMBARGO

Birmingham are hopeful they can resolve their FFP obligations and overturn a temporary transfer embargo imposed by the EFL, according to Sky sources

The league are currently working through FFP submissions from all their clubs, which were made on June 30, and are imposing sanctions where clubs have fallen foul.

The Blues are continuing to pursue their transfer targets but cannot register any new players until the transfer embargo has been lifted.

3 hours ago, downendcity said:

Unfortunately the financial rewards for promotion to the prem mean that a fine is a risk club's will feel worth risking. As with so many offences now I think finding a way to hit clubs with points deductions is the only way to achieve anything, but doubt that football's administrators will have the balls to stand up to the top clubs with this option.

If they hit them with points deductions then they need to hit them hard and start teams at -25 points to give them very little chance of promotion 

14 hours ago, AshtonGreat said:

After what happened in January, I wish we did have a transfer embargo

I think we were punished by the FA for beating ManU and only allowed to sign players who made us worse. :laugh:

The EFL FFP rules are very clear and every club should already know if they have fouled them or not. Seeing as we have already signed players and registered them i think we can assume to be in the clear. 

I think we may have been close if not over the spending limits at some point had we not signed the new bumper deal with Dunder and lancer scott graciously stepped down. Even with the cup run tv money. 

Perhaps Birmingham ran to close to the line and didn' factor in the various managers they have been through this last season. 

46 minutes ago, Rossi the Robin said:

I’ve seen a few people guessing on Twitter we are one of the six, surprisingly (non City fans)

Less surprising for me if it's non City fans, more likely they're just chucking another team out, would be more concerned if it were city fans

Archived