IGNORED

did the media/journalists/reporters gang up against England fans?

4 hours ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

Because a lot of ‘fans’ merely follow the ball and don’t watch the game

Because that's all you can see on TV....   if you regularly attend professional games then even on TV you see things very differently to the weekend armchair experts...

1 hour ago, Cunnyfunt said:

Young's delivery all tournament was very good.

Really? Have to say I didn't see it

1 hour ago, The Dolman Pragmatist said:

Again, I thought he was good in the first half, but no one emerged after half time with any credit, and they all just seemed to have run out of steam.

I know what you mean about Joe Bryan.  I was thinking that Bobby Reid might have found one or two chances last night...

Bang on, second half was so poor. Ran out of steam a little, Kane doesn't look fit to me. He took a whack in the ribs against Sweden, I wonder if that was worrying him. Lovren certainly gave him a whack there in the first half

1 hour ago, BRISTOL86 said:

I don’t like Young much but his delivery has been superb all tournament tbf. 

as above!

47 minutes ago, chipdawg said:

Ashley Young has been the weak link all tournament imo, but a big part of that is that he's a right footed player in a position where you need to be able to go outside a full back. Not really his fault. However, I don't think we should be criticising England after that tournament; even though there are definitely criticisms that can be made of that semi final performance

To be clear, I don't want to single Young out. The whole squad got a lot further than I ever thought was possible. He's not a left back, not his fault!

Sterling has scored 2 goals in 43 appearances for England, with his last goal coming in 2015. That’s an  unbelievable statistic. If there was no suitable replacement then England would have been better playing with one forward (Kane) and replacing Sterling with an attacking midfield player. 

2 hours ago, redapple said:

It’s good to come on this forum and see what other ‘proper’ football fans are thinking/saying. There’s some really intelligent, thoughtful comments which you won’t see in the media. 

In my opinion Gareth Southgate had a nightmare last night. I understand why he picked a settled side but Ashley Young for Danny Rose ?? 

Taking off Sterling instead of Ali who was awful and looked very tired leaving Henderson and Young exposed. 

Not changing the system in response to Croatia’s changes. 

Allowing Kane to come so deep while Rashford was everywhere but nowhere. 

Oh well. Back to being a City fan. 

Serious question - what would you have done "in response to Croatia's changes"?

6 hours ago, Merrick's Marvels said:

Gone with a back 4, brought Loftus-Cheek into midfield ( for Walker or Trippier )  brought on Rashford on the Left of midfield and Rose  for Young a lot earlier. 

12 hours ago, Top Robin said:

All very well how good his movement is off the ball, but I dont think it makes up for the times he gets dispossessed or plays wayward passes. Throughout this tournament and before he has been guilty of this and its not just me....most of my knowledgable footballing mates who I watch games with have noticed this and wondered why he was in the side.

Are they as knowledgeable as Southgate or Guardiola? Probably not

6 hours ago, Merrick's Marvels said:

As a City fan we’ve all seen how effective a 3-5-2 is when it’s going well. But it’s a bloody disaster when the opposition get on top. 

11 hours ago, Woodsy said:

I understand he's being played out of position, but seeing him on the pitch and stood over a dead ball in a World Cup semi final just fills me with dread. If I was Joe Bryan I'd get a PL move and think I'd have half a chance of getting into the squad. A natural left footer, quick, can run all day, attacks

Was that a different Ashley Young whose corners set up England's first against Tunisia and Sweden?

58 minutes ago, RonWalker said:

Was that a different Ashley Young whose corners set up England's first against Tunisia and Sweden?

Obviously it's the same bloke. Does it fill you with joy when we have a free kick 25 yards out and he's placing the ball? If that's the best we've got then God help us

1 hour ago, redapple said:

As a City fan we’ve all seen how effective a 3-5-2 is when it’s going well. But it’s a bloody disaster when the opposition get on top. 

As a system, 3-5-2 vs some teams in the Balkans- but especially Croatia?

It's a system you would be brave to play v Croatia because it was their go to system as a League for years.

If there's a nation who should know all about it, the strengths, the weaknesses- what to look for, what to avoid? It should be them really. At national level they haven't played it in a major way for 10 years, perhaps longer but clubs I bet those guys in the Croatia side know all about it from their youth playing days...

3 hours ago, Woodsy said:

Obviously it's the same bloke. Does it fill you with joy when we have a free kick 25 yards out and he's placing the ball? If that's the best we've got then God help us

If there's someone other than Trippier who's going to set up three or more from corners they can happily take his role...

13 hours ago, redapple said:

Gone with a back 4, brought Loftus-Cheek into midfield ( for Walker or Trippier )  brought on Rashford on the Left of midfield and Rose  for Young a lot earlier. 

13 hours ago, redapple said:

I think we could all see how Croatia were getting on top by exploiting the spaces out wide afforded by England's 3-5-2.

But take off Walker - whose pace rescued us a number of times - really? Take both Trippier and Young off, leaving the team with no competent set-piece taker - a team reliant almost solely on scoring from set pieces - really??

Brave calls those - ones involving the benefit of hindsight, I would say. 

Trippier/Walker can both play Right Back so either. Trippier seemed to be struggling second half. 

Rashford can’t take a set piece ? Danny Rose ? 

If you play 3-5-2 you have to be flexible and adaptable. To win a World Cup you need a few brave decisions on the way. 

Hindsight ? No. I bored those around me during the match like I’m boring anyone reading this now . But it did make me feel rather smug even though for the umpteenth time I woke up the next morning following an England WC Exit feeling very empty and disappointed. 

On 12/07/2018 at 06:56, Never to the dark side said:

how can Sterling get such low ratings from the fans?

Yet all the media have been united in praising sterlings performances?

Of all the headlines you have spawned, this one is up there with the most bizzare.

Do you think for one minute the media conspired against England fan's? 

Utter Tosh!

1 hour ago, redapple said:

Trippier/Walker can both play Right Back so either. Trippier seemed to be struggling second half. 

Rashford can’t take a set piece ? Danny Rose ?

If you play 3-5-2 you have to be flexible and adaptable. To win a World Cup you need a few brave decisions on the way. 

Hindsight ? No. I bored those around me during the match like I’m boring anyone reading this now . But it did make me feel rather smug even though for the umpteenth time I woke up the next morning following an England WC Exit feeling very empty and disappointed. 

I agree brave decisions usually need to be made along the way and didn't see much evidence, in any of our games, of a Plan B to ask different questions of the opposition when we were on the back foot - it was just take off Young/Sterling, bring on Rose/Rashford, but just to play the same way. Dier, Loftus Cheek, Vardy made no difference either. 

Hopefully the manager will learn. Early days for him and this team. There are players in the U17-U21 groups with great potential too.  

3 hours ago, Merrick's Marvels said:

I agree brave decisions usually need to be made along the way and didn't see much evidence, in any of our games, of a Plan B to ask different questions of the opposition when we were on the back foot - it was just take off Young/Sterling, bring on Rose/Rashford, but just to play the same way. Dier, Loftus Cheek, Vardy made no difference either. 

Hopefully the manager will learn. Early days for him and this team. There are players in the U17-U21 groups with great potential too.  

Totally agree MM . There is a lot of hope. I like Southgate, always have done, he’s not the Messiah though, and hope he learns and uses the young players at his disposal.

I dont know a lot about his No.2 Steve Holland. Is he the sort of guy who can analyse a game quickly and change tactics where necessary ? Maybe he is . But that ability is sorely needed. 

Archived