IGNORED

It’s all about club football now

RedM

Yes, I would have been great to have made the final but for me it’s all about club football and always has been if I’m honest. England has been a welcome distraction when Bristol City haven’t been playing, but even then I’ve been watching our transfers and pre season games more closely than stuff about the national team.

Yes I’ve been proud and enjoyed watching them grow and progress as a team, watching a young manager win fans round and put his own demons to bed. But now I want to put that behind me and do the same for my club.

Come on you reds, let’s see if this finally is our season. :city:

I’m fully open to discussion about this, would like to hear other people’s opinions. Is England’s progress in the World Cup more or less important than following a team week in week out, year in year out compared to a tournament that only happens once every four years, as big as it is?

What I don’t like though is people rubbishing posts then not giving the time to give their reasons. To be clear I don’t care about being rubbished, just a bit sad that people don’t follow their rating up with debate, as they have a strong enough opinion to leave a negative indicator.

Always club football for me, even when as a 18 year old we won the WC.

Club football is a much more personal affair. Week in week out you follow your team. 

As I said to my son last night who was watching in Oz, this disappointment prepares me nicely for another season following City! :whistle: :laughcont:

1 hour ago, RedM said:

Yes, I would have been great to have made the final but for me it’s all about club football and always has been if I’m honest. England has been a welcome distraction when Bristol City haven’t been playing, but even then I’ve been watching our transfers and pre season games more closely than stuff about the national team.

Yes I’ve been proud and enjoyed watching them grow and progress as a team, watching a young manager win fans round and put his own demons to bed. But now I want to put that behind me and do the same for my club.

Come on you reds, let’s see if this finally is our season. :city:

I love National football. It always got me as a kid - I think because my first memory of National football is Euro 96 - a tournament we did pretty well at and I've loved it ever since. Even the drab nil nil friendlies. 

I think it's something to do with millions of people coming together to support one cause. A big thing for me is all the games were/are on terrestrial as we didn't have Sky so was restricted to Match of the Day/FA Cup (which I also think is fantastic).

Plus of course, I used to love collecting the football stickers and filling in the wall chart. I think a lot of my love for National football comes from that nostalgia.

Having said that, City is the bread and butter. It's what you invest most of your footballing time in. Very hard to choose between the two. Pickford saving the penalty from Bacca gave me the exact same rush as when Smith scored against United. Says it all for me!

56 minutes ago, RedM said:

I’m fully open to discussion about this, would like to hear other people’s opinions. Is England’s progress in the World Cup more or less important than following a team week in week out, year in year out compared to a tournament that only happens once every four years, as big as it is?

What I don’t like though is people rubbishing posts then not giving the time to give their reasons. To be clear I don’t care about being rubbished, just a bit sad that people don’t follow their rating up with debate, as they have a strong enough opinion to leave a negative indicator.

The only reason I gave you a rubbish reaction was because i cant bear to think about football this morning. Truly devastated. The fulltime whistle last night had me feeling as low as the play off final vs Hull.

I don't think there has to be a club vs country argument, why is it not possible to just be passionate about both? The way the England team has got the whole country united this WC and the buzz everywhere you go has been incredible. Everyone forgot about inter-club rivalries and the like. I found myself claiming Jordan Henderson is the best holding midfielder in the World, when prior to this WC he was probably my most hated player in world football, I was wondering where to get JLingz tattooed on my body, I was deciding whether Harry or Gareth was a better name for my firstborn son. Everyone was just in such a good mood and that could have carried on all summer and beyond.

If we'd have gone on to win the whole thing that would have topped the United win for me. I'll still remember the United game until the day I die, but when that day comes there may only be 1 or 2 people remaining in my life that I can share the memory with. Compare that to if England won the WC and there would never be a moment where I could not relive the memories with someone.

I'm immensely proud of the England team for the way they've conducted themselves this tournament and for injecting some pride back into the national team. I look forward to seeing how they progress under this new regime. 

I'm going to take a week off from football and then come back fully refreshed for a new season of highs and lows with City.

1 hour ago, RedM said:

For me personally...that second half of the season for City sucked the life out of me . To the point where I actually stopped going to games and I've been a season ticket holder going on 25 years

Englands performance and World Cup fever really restored my enjoyment in the game . I'm absolutely gutted to be knocked out as....after years of dross, we were finally treated to an England team who gave everything...but more importantly...understood what it meant to the fans. 

I know I'm notoriously 'negative'..but I have very little hunger to watch City again just yet. As I said...the second half of the season sucked the life out of me and if I'm honest, I can only see next season us going one way.

And that's in a relegation scrap 

1 hour ago, RedM said:

As far as emotions tensions regarding a game of football be it England and City there is little difference personally. What I like about supporting City is the feeling that we are always a bit of the underdog, and last season first half was dreamland culminating in beating Man U which propelled the club into the mindset of the Nation, albeit briefly. But even that hype I found a bit unwelcome, it really turned our heads I believe and so it was proved we actually started to believe we were good, when in fact we are just Bristol City, as with England, we had a good run, but the real football fan would admit that we were simply not good enough to win the Cup, not good enough to beat Croatia let alone France, we were just England. 

But I love England I love City, for all the shortcomings, how boring must it be to be a Man City, Man U supporter, or whatever elite team when winning is expected as opposed to being a wonderful surprise? 

What I don't get is how you can support club football and not the International Team.

I have vague memories of watching England winning the WC in '66 as an 8 year old, before I ever took an interest in BCFC.

I was old enough to feel the crushing disappointment of losing to West Germany at Mexico '70 and have been affected by the very real set backs of non qualifying - I couldn't sleep after that Tomaszewski Poland game - penalty shoot out disasters etc. ever since.

I can mark the stages of my life by World Cups - I have always left a World Cup with the thought of how old I would be by the next one, and how many potential WC's I am likely to have left. I well remember my wife and I looking at our 2 and a half year old toddler and saying he'd be almost 7 by the next one - an unbelievable thought at the time.

I've always wondered if I'd see a WC win I was old enough to really appreciate, and this was the very unexpected big chance. I reckon football really is 'coming home' - we've got a great young team and quality reinforcements coming through at younger age groups - and it WILL happen imo., but I do wonder if I'll be around to see it.

City are my main, continuous, football interest, and we've so often mirrored the torment of following England but with City there's always another match and another season following quickly. With England it's concentrated passion, do or die in a few weeks.

When a big international tournament comes round I'm just as excited as I was as that 8 year old - this is our country they're out there representing, I'm very proud to be English, and for that few weeks that patriotism comes to the fore and I'm just as passionate about the national team as I am continuously about BCFC.

Impossible to compare one with the other, so very different, but the success of both are vitally important to me in their own way.

I'm an ingrained pessimist when it comes to both City and England, but our performances in this WC have been really uplifting - just a pity it didn't come down to being part of a joyous throng of thousands bawling out vindaloo and 3 Lions down North Street last night as I briefly envisaged from the Rising Sun at h/t.

Nonetheless England has got it's footballing pride back, coupled with genuine hope for even greater success in the near future. Let's just hope the explosion of celebrations that never were last night are not delayed too long. :englandsmile4wf:

After happily loaning my footballing passion 100% to my country it's back to concentrating on BCFC for the season ahead - Come on City! :city:

2 hours ago, RedM said:

I don't think it's the case of one above the other. They're not exclusive. I've always loved the World Cup/Euros national tournaments and I love following City. This tournament has been a lot of fun, we have done well and I feel more positive towards the national team (set up etc) after years of dross/massive egos/poor performances/hugely embarrassing media hype. But now it's back to BCFC - can't wait! :city:until the Euros…:englandsmile4wf:

33 minutes ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

I have vague memories of watching England winning the WC in '66 as an 8 year old, before I ever took an interest in BCFC.

I was old enough to feel the crushing disappointment of losing to West Germany at Mexico '70 and have been affected by the very real set backs of non qualifying - I couldn't sleep after that Tomaszewski Poland game - penalty shoot out disasters etc. ever since.

I can mark the stages of my life by World Cups - I have always left a World Cup with the thought of how old I would be by the next one, and how many potential WC's I am likely to have left. I well remember my wife and I looking at our 2 and a half year old toddler and saying he'd be almost 7 by the next one - an unbelievable thought at the time.

I've always wondered if I'd see a WC win I was old enough to really appreciate, and this was the very unexpected big chance. I reckon football really is 'coming home' - we've got a great young team and quality reinforcements coming through at younger age groups - and it WILL happen imo., but I do wonder if I'll be around to see it.

City are my main, continuous, football interest, and we've so often mirrored the torment of following England but with City there's always another match and another season following quickly. With England it's concentrated passion, do or die in a few weeks.

When a big international tournament comes round I'm just as excited as I was as that 8 year old - this is our country they're out there representing, I'm very proud to be English, and for that few weeks that patriotism comes to the fore and I'm just as passionate about the national team as I am continuously about BCFC.

Impossible to compare one with the other, so very different, but the success of both are vitally important to me in their own way.

I'm an ingrained pessimist when it comes to both City and England, but our performances in this WC have been really uplifting - just a pity it didn't come down to being part of a joyous throng of thousands bawling out vindaloo and 3 Lions down North Street last night as I briefly envisaged from the Rising Sun at h/t.

Nonetheless England has got it's footballing pride back, coupled with genuine hope for even greater success in the near future. Let's just hope the explosion of celebrations that never were last night are not delayed too long. :englandsmile4wf:

After happily loaning my footballing passion 100% to my country it's back to concentrating on BCFC for the season ahead - Come on City! :city:

Great post that Nogs :clap:

Nailed it for me

Dont think some realise how World Cups will get eaten up in their lifetime and , as well and spirited we did , I fear the majority will increasingly look back , as the years roll bye , on the golden chance we had to get to a final at least

3 hours ago, RedM said:

England being successful contributes to the Country.

England being successful contributes to the well being of the game as a whole - The influx of TV money into football was directly influenced by the England national team, and football attendances after years of decline increased in unison with the renewed interest in the national team post 1990. 

England being successful as the pinnacle of the FA has to contribute to the grass roots of the game, its philosophy (the future game) is linked to FA coaching and should influence coaching country wide. A England team being successful and having its own distinct playing style can influence kids for generations - Spain and Brazil are an example of this.

Bristol City … Its an entirely differing thing.  Twerton 1990 was a low but hardly ever going to affect many in comparison.

Hear your arguments about club football, your local team, week in and out etc.

But for me England this World Cup was something special. At a time with lots of disunity, protests, Brexit etc. the country was completely united, atmosphere electric. Everyone was happy, talking to strangers in the street, wild celebrations in the sunshine, hearing 'It's Coming Home' everywhere you went, genuinely felt like a great time to be alive. Now it's absolutely devastating.

You won't get the wild nationwide celebrations and good-feeling like that with club football and I for one am sad we didn't get to final to keep the party going for just a little while younger.

The way that brought the nation together was fantastic.. imagine we would have gone all the way? I love City of course but for me England in a way is that bit more special. Ive always thought the ‘club over country’ attitude was of a bit small time viewpoint..

3 hours ago, Frenchay Red said:

Always club football for me, even when as a 18 year old we won the WC.

Club football is a much more personal affair. Week in week out you follow your team. 

As I said to my son last night who was watching in Oz, this disappointment prepares me nicely for another season following City:whistle: :laughcont:

I said pretty much the same thing to my 6 year old son last night!  Get used to the disappointment because as City and England fans we'll see plenty!  All of which makes us enjoy the highs that much more, mind!

29 minutes ago, Undy English said:

Hear your arguments about club football, your local team, week in and out etc.

But for me England this World Cup was something special. At a time with lots of disunity, protests, Brexit etc. the country was completely united, atmosphere electric. Everyone was happy, talking to strangers in the street, wild celebrations in the sunshine, hearing 'It's Coming Home' everywhere you went, genuinely felt like a great time to be alive. Now it's absolutely devastating.

You won't get the wild nationwide celebrations and good-feeling like that with club football and I for one am sad we didn't get to final to keep the party going for just a little while younger.

Couldn't agree more. Watching the Columbia and Sweden games combined with the great weather was awesome. The buzz created from England doing well was brilliant. Roll on the next one! Providing we qualify of course. 

I treat international football as it probably should be treated. A light hearted moment where fans from different clubs can come together and support a single team consisting of their best players.

It's an exhibition of talent above anything else, whereas club football is where loyalties live and die (unless you're an American Premier League fan).

I don't really have the energy for club football yet, in fact I'd prefer a couple of months off until the season starts again.

England in a World Cup semi-final doesn't happen often, and I'm gutted it's over as I was only 4 in 1990, and wonder when we'll get an opportunity like this again.

Watching City try and secure another mid-table Championship finish feels pretty uninspiring in comparison. I hope I've mustered some enthusiasm come August but for me, football seasons come and go and are by and large underwhelming. 

A World Cup is special and seeing a divided country come together in the last 4 weeks made me feel proud again (at last) to be English. I'm not sure I'm that excited about another 12 months of in-fighting about Lee Johnson et al... 

I agree WC is not the best football. A worldwide CL would be the best footballl. But I don’t just yet fancy watching total shit Championship football. Tired of being a flogged  horse for total shit. The money wasted. For zero and nothing. Yes it’s Bristol City but it’s a total waste of money. True .incompetence. From ”top” well well to... Halleluja

6 minutes ago, bristolcitysweden said:

I agree WC is not the best football. A worldwide CL would be the best footballl. But I don’t just yet fancy watching total shit Championship football. Tired of being a flogged  horse for total shit. The money wasted. For zero and notjing. Yes it’s Bristol City but it’s a total waste of money. True .incompetence. From top well well to. Hslkflujah

9 minutes ago, RedJim said:

I don't really have the energy for club football yet, in fact I'd prefer a couple of months off until the season starts again.

England in a World Cup semi-final doesn't happen often, and I'm gutted it's over as I was only 4 in 1990, and wonder when we'll get an opportunity like this again.

Watching City try and secure another mid-table Championship finish feels pretty uninspiring in comparison. I hope I've mustered some enthusiasm come August but for me, football seasons come and go and are by and large underwhelming. 

A World Cup is special and seeing a divided country come together in the last 4 weeks made me feel proud again (at last) to be English. I'm not sure I'm that excited about another 12 months of in-fighting about Lee Johnson et al... 

Exactly how I feel great post.

24 minutes ago, bristolcitysweden said:

I agree WC is not the best football. A worldwide CL would be the best footballl. 

So, instead of watching a team representing the country I love, I'd get to watch even more of the Premier League teams that I don't give a shit about? No thanks.

16 minutes ago, El Hombrecito said:

So, instead of watching a team representing the country I love, I'd get to watch even more of the Premier League teams that I don't give a shit about? No thanks.

My preference is best possible football and the best possible football would be played by teams in a world wide CL. During season. 

As said, Bristol City Football Club should have been moved to China. Years ago. 

Getting more and more expensive Bristol Sport.

Archived