IGNORED

Bristol City v Shrewsbury Town

Leveller

22 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

I know people are only commenting on what they’ve seen, but I’m amazed to come on here to see posters seemingly drawing conclusions from what is essentially a training game. 

At this stage, players are getting fit. There’s basically nothing good or bad you can read into a friendly this early into pre-season.

After the pre-season training camp when the bulk of the fitness work is compete you can probably tell a bit more from friendlies, but definitely not yet.

I think Shrewsbury have already been away so that might have had a bearing on today.

It was a typical early pre season training match. 

Differences between the two sides appeared to be that the Shrews had the majority of last seasons team and we were using it to gain match fitness. Thus at times they looked more cohesive than City. But it's too early to make too many judgements on who will be in the starting line up against Forest. 

Pring did ok, Korey was Korey, Callum got a decent goal from edge of box. And Pisano would have got at least a yellow if it had been a league game. 

Shrews had three very decent players. Number 6 good defender and read the game well. No. 8, was at the heart of many of their moves and no. 9 looked a useful striker. 

The best performance of the match was ref Kevin Friend, reportedly a City fan, who managed to ref it very fairly and impartially. 

30 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

I’m amazed anyone could make that judgement from that game.  He was our best player that night, looked lightning, created his own chances etc.  Some people must watch the game so differently, or look at the result (0-1 caught on the break late on), see Kodjia didn’t score, and base it on that.

It`s less to do with the performance and more to do with a need to rubbish a new signing as they`ve never heard of him, know nothing about him and consider the fee could have been better spent on someone else.

IMO

57 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

I know people are only commenting on what they’ve seen, but I’m amazed to come on here to see posters seemingly drawing conclusions from what is essentially a training game. 

At this stage, players are getting fit. There’s basically nothing good or bad you can read into a friendly this early into pre-season.

After the pre-season training camp when the bulk of the fitness work is compete you can probably tell a bit more from friendlies, but definitely not yet.

Which is fair. Think Holden said they were working on patterns and getting players minutes. I imagine the real hard work will begin in Spain. Think it was just the sloppyness that stood out though. Simple passes 2-3 yards away from their target. Some poor challenges(mistimed). Only a friendly but you still want some intensity which is why I think Korey and Pring are being mentioned often. They worked hard but were also sharp like something was on the line. 

Pring was exceptional but I’d reign it in a bit. Quite sure he was up against their reserve RB when he started shining. Clearly got pace to burn but did not have much defending to do. That said was sharp and energetic when he had to be. Enjoyed his crisp passes to Holden who looks very tidy himself. 

1 hour ago, cidered abroad said:

It was a typical early pre season training match. 

Differences between the two sides appeared to be that the Shrews had the majority of last seasons team and we were using it to gain match fitness. Thus at times they looked more cohesive than City. But it's too early to make too many judgements on who will be in the starting line up against Forest. 

Pring did ok, Korey was Korey, Callum got a decent goal from edge of box. And Pisano would have got at least a yellow if it had been a league game. 

Shrews had three very decent players. Number 6 good defender and read the game well. No. 8, was at the heart of many of their moves and no. 9 looked a useful striker. 

The best performance of the match was ref Kevin Friend, reportedly a City fan, who managed to ref it very fairly and impartially. 

Thought their No8 looked very good, and certainly their best player. No idea of his name but got around the pitch and has a nice touch, good passer short & long. Worth keeping an eye on him if I was someone at the club

was an early pre season training run out .Have never read to much into friendlies. Seemed like players getting to know other. And getting match time in their legs ..multiple subs no real patterns just an early pre season match .no real substance to judge anyone on . Plus don't think this was anything like the team that starts the season .Taylor Pack Kelly Wright maybe Bryan to add . And hopefully more to come in .Nothing to worry about at the moment

On ‎13‎/‎07‎/‎2018 at 15:45, Carey 6 said:

Had a look earlier, seems to be selling really poorly. I'll be going, but £11 to watch a City vs Shrewsbury friendly is quite steep imo. 

Only the Lansdown is open, looks a lot less than when we played Pompey a couple of years ago. 

£11 ? That does seem a bit steep for a friendly. I went to Melksham to see Rovers yesterday (only because my mates son was playing) which was £8, I understand teams like Melksham trying to cash in but surely City would have got a few in if it was around a fiver. How many were there?

Just now, Miah Dennehy said:

£11 ? That does seem a bit steep for a friendly. I went to Melksham to see Rovers yesterday (only because my mates son was playing) which was £8, I understand teams like Melksham trying to cash in but surely City would have got a few in if it was around a fiver. How many were there?

Not too sure, about 30 or 40 Shrewsbury & I’d guess about 2000 City, but all in one stand so it’s harder to tell how many seats were free. 

How did Alfie Clarke get on for you lot? 

28 minutes ago, Carey 6 said:

Not too sure, about 30 or 40 Shrewsbury & I’d guess about 2000 City, but all in one stand so it’s harder to tell how many seats were free. 

Alfie did really well. He played the whole first half (They changed the entire team at half time), but he didn't really put a foot wrong. Couple of good tackles, got a good cross in early on. Of course you have to take into account the level of opposition, but I thought he did as well as could possibly be expected. It was nice to see his dad joining in with 'Goodnight Irene' as well :))

1 hour ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

This quality of pre season ‘run out’ should be free to season ticket holders IMHO

Or as said above,  around a fiver would be more 'value' and would get more people in who in turn will spend a few quid too. Many won't pay £11 for that game yesterday but at half the price they would.

1 hour ago, Carey 6 said:

Not too sure, about 30 or 40 Shrewsbury & I’d guess about 2000 City, but all in one stand so it’s harder to tell how many seats were free

The ones that the players etc get given the rest have to be paid for.

1 hour ago, Miah Dennehy said:

Alfie did really well. He played the whole first half (They changed the entire team at half time), but he didn't really put a foot wrong. Couple of good tackles, got a good cross in early on. Of course you have to take into account the level of opposition, but I thought he did as well as could possibly be expected. It was nice to see his dad joining in with 'Goodnight Irene' as well :))

Not in a million years! :city:

4 hours ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

This quality of pre season ‘run out’ should be free to season ticket holders IMHO

Having not done a pre season friendly for many years we went down - after watching  an ok’ish game - I couldn’t agree more with this comment . Watching any further ones will be unlikely tbh 

51 minutes ago, Carey 6 said:

Have I missed highlights going up for this? 

If not, then it’s strange because we managed to get highlights of a game at Bitton but not any from a game at the Gate.

Yep no highlights for this. Appears the media team have more pressing matters such as editing a video of Taylor Moore dabbing to put on instagram!

Archived