IGNORED

Belgium vs England

Unan

21 minutes ago, Alex_BCFC said:

If we have players of the quality of Sessogon coming through to add to the likes of Kane, Trippier, Pickford and Stones then I think we can have a decent side for the future. Midfield is the key - we are just missing a player who can run a game. 

If only Mrs Hazard had dropped little Eden off in this sceptred isle .

sigh !

What a load of rubbish we have played this tournament haha

Kane is either very unfit in which case he shouldn't have played every minute or he just doesn't care about England because he has put in abject performances in all but 60 mins v Colombia.

57 minutes ago, Andy082005 said:

They all have today

Delph, Jones, Loftus-Cheek....all proving they are no where near international class . 

Think Loftus-cheek looks a player in my opinion. Needs to either play regularly at Chelsea, or get a move.

1 minute ago, grifty said:

Kane is either very unfit in which case he shouldn't have played every minute or he just doesn't care about England because he has put in abject performances in all but 60 mins v Colombia.

Well, this "load of rubbish" got England to a semi-final...

1 minute ago, grifty said:

Not sure whether he is  injured or just knackered hasnt been right last 2 games. Amazed he played today.

3 minutes ago, grifty said:

Huh? Did I dream we got the furthest in a World Cup in nearly 30 years? Load of rubbish?

1 minute ago, Super said:

Just lack a world class striker.

I don't know what's happened to Kane, went from looking world class to looking lost in a game or two. Then you have a problem, he was the only real goal threat and whatever you think of Sterling he was never going to step up. Vardy is a different kind of striker, and even he got injured, that leaves probably Welbeck . TBF he has a good scoring record but he was never going to be swapped for Kane. We do need more threat from MF too, Loftus Cheek may do that, Lingard may step up , only time will tell. Two years on and Tammy may be knocking at the door, who knows.

Southgate said it was 2 years too early pre tournament, lets hope he's right.

15 minutes ago, grifty said:

:laughcont::laughcont:

I wondered just what sort of performance we would produce in this 'nothing' game and was not too surprised that we looked a little flat again. Seems to me that there are the makings of a half-decent side in there somewhere but it needs to be either given a lot more effort or built around our strengths more. When the game requires a lift of class, we have not really come up to it. Again, some 'stars' were below the average.

OK then, we are where we are and there is the hope that this squad will improve with time. Southgate has relit the dwindling flames of national passion and that's worth a lot. But the reality is that we have been to another World Cup and not achieved our full potential. It felt like the Devil was playing his fiddle and we were all under some kind of spell for a while, but he stopped at half time against Croatia and we turned into statues. Back to the day job...

Bottom line:

52good.png.66df9ec7d7f380b6525752127c1ea3a8.png

Still genuinely believe that Crouch should have gone. All those wasted crosses that nobody get on the end of. Vardy was totally out of sorts, seems that Gareth totally destroyed Rashford’s confidence after he put in an excellent performance pre tournament  by telling him that Sterling was going to be the second striker. Welbeck was just a squad filler with no form. 

Ryan Ses from Fulham should have gone as well. 

England looked great for the first couple of games playing expansive, positive attacking football with quick forward movement of the ball - long and short. Then reverted back to type playing ponderous back-sideways stuff. Pity ... should have kept being brave. 

21 minutes ago, Esmond Million's Bung said:

Let’s be honest, getting to a wc semi final for England makes it great tournament.

and yes we are a young side but we actually beat a load of nobodies and got beaten every time we played a good side.

People keep saying we had an easy group (although it was the only group to provide 2 of the 4 semi finalists) and that we didn’t beat anyone of note - well, of the other 7 groups, we beat two of the group winners. Colombia, quarter finalists 4 years ago and conquerors of Poland 3-0, and Sweden, who won a group containing Germany (and also qualified ahead of the Netherlands and Italy).

Totally agree that we’re not at the level of France or Belgium - think Southgate had it right when he said we’re not at the level of the top 5 teams in the world but can be competitive when playing them - but to say we only beat ‘nobodies’ is harsh, and disrespectful to Colombia and Sweden. 

Are Sweden not a good side in your view?

Are teams only good if England don’t beat them?

35 minutes ago, Super said:

Jones is rubbish.

He’s basically Richard Dryden.

For all the grief Sterling & Dier have been given, at least I can see what those 2 are attempting to do.

Jones is ******* horse shit, no distribution, no composure, no pace. An absolute fraud of a footballer, who was bailed out time & time again by Stones & Maguire, by the end no one was even passing to him when he was unmarked.

He should never play for England again.

I may be in a minority of one, but I quite like Dier. Handy having someone who can drop into defence, but there is a bit more about him than that. Of course we could do with someone who can run a game but I can't see anyone stepping up to be our De bruyne , just yet at least.

38 minutes ago, Sergio Georgini said:

Huh? Did I dream we got the furthest in a World Cup in nearly 30 years? Load of rubbish?

Oh I get we got a long way into the tournament and that was great for the public, but people need to take step back and look at how poorly we generally played before saying how good players are. For me, only Trippier, Pickford and Maguire are the only 3 that have come away from this tournament that played positively. Kane only practiced his penalties and tried to play as a AM, Alli didn't run for half the tournament, Sterling runs about like a chicken but its OK that he misses from 3 yards time and time again because he creates space for Kane...who is on the halfway line, or Alli... who was strolling about or Vardy... who didn't play or Rashford... who didn't play.

Henderson should only be allowed to pass it over 25 yards, because anything less than that goes out for a throw in, Young must be the easiest attacking fullback to mark as he does the same thing every time - cut inside and drift a curling cross over the head of everyone and out for a goal kick. Stones thinks he's better on the ball than he is, the best bit about Walker was watching him turn on a rocket pack to catch people running past him because he's given the ball away.

Still, good World Cup - I enjoyed it!

52 minutes ago, North London Red said:

People keep saying we had an easy group (although it was the only group to provide 2 of the 4 semi finalists) and that we didn’t beat anyone of note - well, of the other 7 groups, we beat two of the group winners. Colombia, quarter finalists 4 years ago and conquerors of Poland 3-0, and Sweden, who won a group containing Germany (and also qualified ahead of the Netherlands and Italy).

Totally agree that we’re not at the level of France or Belgium - think Southgate had it right when he said we’re not at the level of the top 5 teams in the world but can be competitive when playing them - but to say we only beat ‘nobodies’ is harsh, and disrespectful to Colombia and Sweden. 

Are Sweden not a good side in your view?

Are teams only good if England don’t beat them?

We didn’t beat Colombia. We drew with them over 120 minutes.

Sweden were not a particularly good side. Look at where their players play their club football as an indication of their true quality.

Croatia were a clear step up in class.

Our record at this World Cup has ended up as P7 W3 D1 L3. We failed to beat anyone you wouldn’t have expected us to before the tournament began. We benefitted from a favourable draw and the first time we played against players with genuine quality, we came up short.

The team provided some great moments - the late goal v Tunisia, the thrashing of Panama, the penalty shoot out win. Without doubt it was an enjoyable ride. But ultimately the draw was kind and flattered us.

The 2014 side got battered for failing to get out of the group. I can’t see any reason to think the 2018 side would have fared much better against Pirlo’s Italy or Suarez’s Uruguay.

We played 600 minutes in the World Cup forgetting the Panama game and played well for 250 of them.  Yes Southgate has galvanised the team and, to an extent, the nation but he was found to be tactically naive on a few occasions, and we scored twice from open play I think.

Pickford, Trippier, Stones, Maguire, Henderson and Sterling come out in credit for me. Cant blame Alli or Walker as Southgate has played square pegs in round holes. 

Sterling end product wasnt great but again he was being played out of position. His link up play and positions he took up were superb and hugely under appreciated by some.

Henderson was poor against Croatia granted but one poor game doesnt hide the fact he is our best defensive midfielder by a mile.

Kane was woeful past the group stage and is getting a golden boot due to penalties. 

3-3-2-2 works against minnows but not against the cleverer teams. New formation needed that can be tinkered depending on opposition. 

I would like to see something like this going forward

Pickford

Walker. Stones. Maguire. Trippier

Oxlade. Henderson. lingard

Sterling. Kane. Alli

21 minutes ago, ChippenhamRed said:

We didn’t beat Colombia. We drew with them over 120 minutes.

Sweden were not a particularly good side. Look at where their players play their club football as an indication of their true quality.

Croatia were a clear step up in class.

Our record at this World Cup has ended up as P7 W3 D1 L3. We failed to beat anyone you wouldn’t have expected us to before the tournament began. We benefitted from a favourable draw and the first time we played against players with genuine quality, we came up short.

The team provided some great moments - the late goal v Tunisia, the thrashing of Panama, the penalty shoot out win. Without doubt it was an enjoyable ride. But ultimately the draw was kind and flattered us.

The 2014 side got battered for failing to get out of the group. I can’t see any reason to think the 2018 side would have fared much better against Pirlo’s Italy or Suarez’s Uruguay.

Very fine margins. If Kane had put away his chance on Wednesday night and we’d gone in 2-0 up at half time (which we arguably should have done), I strongly suspect we’d be in the final tomorrow night. Ultimately we ran out of steam and Croatia’s quality came through, but it was a lot closer than some of the accounts I’ve read would suggest (reading some of them, you’d think we were camped in our own box for 120 minutes and barely crossed the half way line).

As for not beating anyone we weren’t expected to...there were quite a few on this forum predicting we’d go out at the group stages without winning a game (also, take a look at the comments section on the BBC website or any of the newspapers after any of our ten qualifiers, and you’ll see plenty of comments along the lines of ‘England won’t get out of the group in Russia’). Tunisia had the air of a game we may well have drawn under previous managers...and Colombia had the air of a game we’d have probably lost narrowly a few years ago.

Our record going into this World Cup was only 5 wins in knockout games outside England, in our entire history - so I don’t necessarily agree we’d have definitely been expected to progress from knockout games against Colombia and Sweden. Maybe started as slight favourites, but history suggests those are the games where we’ve more often than not come up short in previous tournaments. 

For a ‘not particularly good side’, Sweden must have done damn well to get out of a qualifying group containing Holland and France, beat Italy in a play off, then win a group containing Germany. I’m surprised at how dismissive some of the posts are of their team. No superstars playing for the very top European clubs, but a really good, organised team unit and a very hard side to break down. They’re due more respect than many have given them. 

3 minutes ago, RedDave said:

I would like to see something like this going forward

Pickford

Walker. Stones. Maguire. Trippier

Oxlade. Henderson. lingard

Sterling. Kane. Alli

I don't like right footed players at left back, I though Rose looked ok Vs Belgium in the first game but going forward he made a real difference. The balance and ability to go outside the defender made a big improvement. 
I also like Walker on the right of a 3, the pace really makes a difference.
I think we definitely need more bodies in CMF ,  maybe something like  Ox-Henderson-Wilshire or Loftus Cheek. 
He's had a chance to see the players in a tournament situation and that should help, but hopefully he'll have a good look at the set up of the team and make a few changes.
I think it's a promising start, he's got us holding the ball and playing a bit of football. Long way to go , but it's a start.

1 minute ago, 1960maaan said:

I don't like right footed players at left back, I though Rose looked ok Vs Belgium in the first game but going forward he made a real difference. The balance and ability to go outside the defender made a big improvement. 
I also like Walker on the right of a 3, the pace really makes a difference.
I think we definitely need more bodies in CMF ,  maybe something like  Ox-Henderson-Wilshire or Loftus Cheek. 
He's had a chance to see the players in a tournament situation and that should help, but hopefully he'll have a good look at the set up of the team and make a few changes.
I think it's a promising start, he's got us holding the ball and playing a bit of football. Long way to go , but it's a start.

I dont like right footers at left back either but we dont have a good enough left back defensively.  Walker is the best right back and I think Trippier has done enough to not get dropped if we go to four at the back.  He is the one player I would play out of position.  

Archived