IGNORED

Niki Mäenpää - Now Officially Signed (Merged)

CiderJar

42 minutes ago, class not gas said:

He certainly  looks the part, looks really fit and has the perfect build for a keeper and very importantly  speaks perfect English. Seems to get on well with the other players as well.Lee said yesterday it's hard at the moment to find a reason not to sign him.

Great start to a negotiation

9 hours ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

Concerned that we’ve got ourselves in a bit of a mess with the keeper situation and will make poor decisions in panic

Time will tell with this chap but as I’ve said before I see him as Steele’s replacement not Frankie’s, but on the whole I tend to agree.

Seems obvious the intention initially was to trade up on Frankie and bring in a new clear number 1 goalkeeper but with 2 weeks to go until the seasons opener, that still hasn’t happened.

Think interest in Frankie has if anything confused matters and I am sure if we had signed a main keeper by now and FF was fit, he’d already be a Blackburn player.

Unless he has a shocker today pretty sure we’ll give Mäenpää a contract (probably a 1 year) but as the Zach Steffen business shows, we are still looking to bring in our main keeper with no experienced back up fit and under contract this soon to the start of it all.

Not ideal.

It is possible that they will go with Max as no 1 while Frank is injured with the Finn as backup.  Would be fantastic to bring a goalie through the ranks.

But feel they will only do this if they fail to sign soon a no 1 or loan in a no 1 nearer cut off date.

14 hours ago, Loosey Boy said:

We will sign him, especially with the rejected bid for Zack!

He's leading the Open - he's hardly going to want to come here.

5 hours ago, GrahamC said:

Time will tell with this chap but as I’ve said before I see him as Steele’s replacement not Frankie’s, but on the whole I tend to agree.

Seems obvious the intention initially was to trade up on Frankie and bring in a new clear number 1 goalkeeper but with 2 weeks to go until the seasons opener, that still hasn’t happened.

Think interest in Frankie has if anything confused matters and I am sure if we had signed a main keeper by now and FF was fit, he’d already be a Blackburn player.

Unless he has a shocker today pretty sure we’ll give Mäenpää a contract (probably a 1 year) but as the Zach Steffen business shows, we are still looking to bring in our main keeper with no experienced back up fit and under contract this soon to the start of it all.

Not ideal.

....and I think it just goes to show that this transfer business isn’t easy.  We did a good bit early, and I'm sure Henderson was the one they really wanted, but not easy to turn down Man Utd is it.  We obviously didn’t want a loan.

5 hours ago, glastonred said:

Anyone know how his name is pronounced? Don't know if we have any Finnish fans signed up to the forum, who could enlighten us...

Mäenpää, just like it sounds. The letter ä, you pronounce like eh. If something go wrong you say eh. Eh, hard to explain. Mäenpää. In finish language is the letter ä rather common. We also have letter ä in swedish. Swedish and finish languages is quite different. Sweden, Norway and Denmark, we can understand each other but not a person from Finland. Good in finish is hyvä. Good in swedish is bra. Complete different.

2 hours ago, Garland-sweden said:

Mäenpää, just like it sounds. The letter ä, you pronounce like eh. If something go wrong you say eh. Eh, hard to explain. Mäenpää. In finish language is the letter ä rather common. We also have letter ä in swedish. Swedish and finish languages is quite different. Sweden, Norway and Denmark, we can understand each other but not a person from Finland. Good in finish is hyvä. Good in swedish is bra. Complete different.

Takk skal du ha, Garland sweden     (norsk)

My guess is it is all done, a one year deal but there is absolutely no need to rush to publicise it.

With Fielding injured, the American proving difficult in several ways (getting a work permit for one) this signing gives us breathing space as to what else we decide to do.

Still expect 2 keepers (including Maenpaa) and a left back in before the window shuts.

1 minute ago, GrahamC said:

My guess is it is all done, a one year deal but there is absolutely no need to rush to publicise it.

With Fielding injured, the American proving difficult in several ways (getting a work permit for one) this signing gives us breathing space as to what else we decide to do.

Still expect 2 keepers (including Maenpaa) and a left back in before the window shuts.

Agree. You’d think it would have come out relatively quick if we weren’t interested. 

22 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

What benefit is there to waiting though?

At the moment, we have no one realistic to play v Forest, which may make clubs push fees up as they know we’re desperate. 

If we sign a Finnish international, suddenly we’re not so desperate, have a viable alternative to start season with and could place us in a stronger position to start  the negotiations with other clubs.

Another keeper that may play a few but eventually we’ll realise Franks better and he’ll be back in goal. 

I think we need a keeper that will really push FF. Not an obvious number 2 Steele type signing which I think this guy will be.

Cairns or Steffen should be the priorities & if we fail on both of those, just play O’Leary & see how he gets on. 

9 hours ago, GrahamC said:

Yeh no need to keep the loyal paying fans in the loop

1 hour ago, Rudolf Hucker said:

There is no need for the club to tell us anything until it's ready - and it won't.

It's only impatience which drives the need for information.

From GrahamC :

My guess is it is all done, a one year deal but there is absolutely no need to rush to publicise it.

If its done why wouldnt they let us know?

2 minutes ago, Top Robin said:

From GrahamC :

My guess is it is all done, a one year deal but there is absolutely no need to rush to publicise it.

If its done why wouldnt they let us know?

I don't know but it'll no doubt be for sound business reasons. Bristol Sport is certainly not backward in coming forward when it comes to courting publicity so they'll have reasons to keep it under wraps.

Anyway, what difference will it make to you or me if we know today or tomorrow or next Monday? Not a jot. We'll have a keeper in goal against Forest. I'm happy to wait to find out whom that will be

Seen a few comments on twitter from a couple Brighton fans who reckon he would be a good championship keeper. That he was stuck behind keepers who played very well during two special seasons. 

Personally, I’d rather sign him up on a 1 + 1 option deal and let him fight FF for the #1 shirt if our best options have dried up. Henderson, Johnstone, Steffen all have failed it seems and perhaps a couple more. I don’t want to panic sign someone. Rather be patient and see who becomes available in the next couple windows

7 minutes ago, Rudolf Hucker said:

I don't know but it'll no doubt be for sound business reasons. Bristol Sport is certainly not backward in coming forward when it comes to courting publicity so they'll have reasons to keep it under wraps.

Anyway, what difference will it make to you or me if we know today or tomorrow or next Monday? Not a jot. We'll have a keeper in goal against Forest. I'm happy to wait to find out whom that will be

Because I am a paying supporter and I care. Thats why many of us log into the transfer forum numerous times every day. 

Archived