IGNORED

Niki Mäenpää - Now Officially Signed (Merged)

CiderJar

3 hours ago, JonDolman said:

Well, Johnson just said the 2nd goalie we sign will not be a marquee signing. So maybe this guy is our number 1 this season, or at least until Frankie returns.

Have a feeling we will soon add a loanee keeper, meaning Max will go on loan. Then of the three senior keepers the weakest will be moved on  in due course.

3 hours ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

No, that's such ridiculous hyperbole. 

You're only quoting from Monkeh's throwaway comment I know, but no one has said that.

We can all agree he was a prolific div.3 striker for City, it's evaluating his effectiveness in the Championship which is divisive.

No, @ExiledAjax posted “Well he thinks Baldock is largely useless” - and you replied “Good judge then” - and now you’re replying to @WolfOfWestStreet who posted “Are there seriously City fans who thought Baldock was shit...? That’s mental” - and your reply includes “...no one has said that” - but you said it...you said anyone who thinks Baldock is useless is a ‘good judge’ .....

If this has been posted apologies but the thoughts of the BHA North  Stand forum

http://www.northstandchat.com/showthread.php?365836-Niki-Maenpaa/page2

He seems well thought of.  It will be interesting to see what happens when Fielding recovers as I cannot see him going now he crooked for up to 3 months (max).  I would have though Maenpaa No 1 and Max as stand in ?  As always fun to see what happens !

30 minutes ago, Jerseybean said:

Have a feeling we will soon add a loanee keeper, meaning Max will go on loan. Then of the three senior keepers the weakest will be moved on  in due course.

Me too.

Think Mäenpää is effectively Luke Steele’s replacement, however one of our greatest keepers (Basso) arrived as a Woking reserve player & he went on to be excellent for us.

10 minutes ago, DT The Optimist said:

If this has been posted apologies but the thoughts of the BHA North  Stand forum

http://www.northstandchat.com/showthread.php?365836-Niki-Maenpaa/page2

He seems well thought of.  It will be interesting to see what happens when Fielding recovers as I cannot see him going now he crooked for up to 3 months (max).  I would have though Maenpaa No 1 and Max as stand in ?  As always fun to see what happens !

Well that’s a thoroughly positive thread. 

17 hours ago, GrahamC said:

Me too.

Think Mäenpää is effectively Luke Steele’s replacement, however one of our greatest keepers (Basso) arrived as a Woking reserve player & he went on to be excellent for us.

Suspect plan A was to recruit a new number one keeper (whose kicking was an asset) with FF as back up. Hence the release of Steele. However, we were unable to do this and then Frank got injured. Therefore plan B emerged.

I thought Steele asked to go because he wanted game time which LJ would only give him if Frankie was unavailable (?)

this new guy seems well respected, looking at the comments from the Brighton fans. 

If we are desperate perhaps Monkeh could dust off his gloves and do a shift between the sticks - I assume you are still playing Monkeh?

Based on what LJ said in his latest presser, it sounds like he thinks quite highly of Niki, and is willing to give him a chance to shine on the pitch. He talks up his distribution skills as well, which a lot of people on here said wasn't a strong suit of his.

My guess is that O'Leary is on his way out on loan, leaving another keeper to come in and form the three we'll have for this season. Niki will get a chance to shine at the start of the season, but if he doesn't deliver like LJ has said then he'll be back to the bench and out next year.

On 01/08/2018 at 21:43, BS4 on Tour... said:

No, @ExiledAjax posted “Well he thinks Baldock is largely useless” - and you replied “Good judge then” - and now you’re replying to @WolfOfWestStreet who posted “Are there seriously City fans who thought Baldock was shit...? That’s mental” - and your reply includes “...no one has said that” - but you said it...you said anyone who thinks Baldock is useless is a ‘good judge’ .....

You seem unwilling to recognise the notable difference between me agreeing with a Brighton fan that SB is 'largely useless - at Championship level of course, because that's how he'll be judging him - and me saying 'Baldock is shit.'

Which I haven't said, in fact I've repeatedly stated his record shows he is a very good div. 3 striker.

Anyway, enough of that - unless you wish to continue the discussion on the other thread.

Welcome to AG Niki Maenpaa.

very composed debut I thought, good kick with his right foot, perhaps not so confident on his left, one decent save in the second half, and no real chance with the goal. It must have felt quite strange to be playing after such a long time on the bench.

1 minute ago, Port Said Red said:

very composed debut I thought, good kick with his right foot, perhaps not so confident on his left, one decent save in the second half, and no real chance with the goal. It must have felt quite strange to be playing after such a long time on the bench.

Couldn’t have put it any better imo

Jury still out after one game , looked quite assured , handling and kicking good , and fit me made some good saves , with our defending he certainly will be busy ! 

although his signing was for me a panic buy , ok he was on trial , Frankie gets injured , leaving max O’Leary as the only keeper , and not much of a gamble for city , if he really is the long term option for us why only sign him for a year ? 

6 minutes ago, EmersonsKev said:

I can understand why Johnson was quoted that he was one they liked.  Calming influence between the sticks, good distribution and good feet.  Solid signing for a freebie.

Excellent debut, one outstanding save, calm accurate distribution.

Can be very pleased with his first League game in 2 years.

5 minutes ago, Red Right Hand said:

I do like Frankie but he did look an improvement. I also wondered at the time if Frankie would have got to that save, it seemed a long way across - maybe fingertips rather than a full hand on it?

Bit of an early call there RRH

Didn’t do anything wrong but didn’t have lots to do - Lets see a few more games 

1 minute ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

Bit of an early call there RRH

Didn’t do anything wrong but didn’t have lots to do - Lets see a few more games 

Yeah I thought that after I posted but it was too late to edit! Perhaps it`s because he`s a big old unit and just looks more imposing, who knows? You certainly are going to think twice about jumping for a ball with him steaming out to claim it I reckon!

2 minutes ago, Red Right Hand said:

Yeah I thought that after I posted but it was too late to edit! Perhaps it`s because he`s a big old unit and just looks more imposing, who knows? You certainly are going to think twice about jumping for a ball with him steaming out to claim it I reckon!

Agree - he looks the part

Keepers are a nightmare in terms of judging them more than any other player IMHO

You can guarantee just as you feel confident in them and proclaim so , they are one or two games away from an error !!

Archived