IGNORED

Niki Mäenpää - Now Officially Signed (Merged)

CiderJar

1 minute ago, Phileas Fogg said:

Brighton fans on Twitter seem to be saying he's been very reliable for them and didn't let them down. Fairly good endorsement, usually opposition fans are negative about departing players.

Pfft, what do they know compared to us? :laughcont:

1 minute ago, BRISTOL86 said:

Haha, well I admit I know nothing about him. Good endorsement if former club supporters are positive about you, especially for a keeper. Fans only seem to remember howlers with most keepers. Sounds like a similar situation with Steele last season, and he was fine when called upon.

Shame we weren't able to upgrade the keeper position this season, quite liked the sound of the American keeper.

3 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

Brighton fans on Twitter seem to be saying he's been very reliable for them and didn't let them down. Fairly good endorsement, usually opposition fans are negative about departing players.

They have had a laugh with us before with Adam El-Abd - I don't trust a word they say

9 minutes ago, ExiledAjax said:

But, as @Monkeh points out above, a 1 year deal on a 33-year old who is a free agent is very possibly a stop gap.  Come January we sign Steffen and flog Frankie to whoever is in the bottom 5 of the league. then we finish the season with Steffen as 1 and Niki as 2. Next summer Niki retires, moves on or possibly stays on a limited pay-as-you-play and we have Steffen number 1 and Max as number 2. Tidy.

In a perfect world yes, but do you not think other clubs will be alerted by Stefan's situation now its been in national press, plus whats to say we wont have the same VISA issue in 6 months? OK Niki will be a stop gap but im just annoyed that we have failed to sign a quality long term GK in another transfer window!

2 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

Haha, well I admit I know nothing about him. Good endorsement if former club supporters are positive about you, especially for a keeper. Fans only seem to remember howlers with most keepers. Sounds like a similar situation with Steele last season, and he was fine when called upon.

Shame we weren't able to upgrade the keeper position this season, quite liked the sound of the American keeper.

Yep. The Brighton manager and fans all seem to endorse him and still people moan. Laughable really. 

4 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

With due respect mind PF he made one start for them 

I hope he turns out ok or even better and we get away with this

Theres one or two fans on here  who I wouldn’t trust %1 and are indeed laughable

2 minutes ago, brad blit said:

In a perfect world yes, but do you not think other clubs will be alerted by Stefan's situation now its been in national press, plus whats to say we wont have the same VISA issue in 6 months? OK Niki will be a stop gap but im just annoyed that we have failed to sign a quality long term GK in another transfer window!

And I can see why you would be.

If it is any consolation I just spoke to a Brighton supporting colleague of mine. He said that Maenpaa is, and I quote, "definitely not terrible". So there we go...he is at least better than Giefer.

1 minute ago, ExiledAjax said:

And I can see why you would be.

If it is any consolation I just spoke to a Brighton supporting colleague of mine. He said that Maenpaa is, and I quote, "definitely not terrible". So there we go...he is at least better than Giefer.

Do we trust his view? What did he think about Adam El-Abd - they have different standards down there in defence?

1 minute ago, BRISTOL86 said:

1 minute ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

Looks like it

Possibly , working it out , half a dozen times (Which sounds a lot in 2 yrs !)

Especially if he was third choice. Did he play in cup games perhaps?

1 minute ago, Phileas Fogg said:

There’s still time for another keeper

He enjoyed his best spell at VVV Venlo - won their player of the year on one occasion. Was their #1 for a year in the Dutch top tier and two years in the Dutch second tier. As I have a soft spot for Venlo, I am a fan of his already ?

18 minutes ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

Not a gauge at all

Depends on your country and if there is any reasonable competition amongst your fellow Nationals

His appearances came in in early season 10 years ago btw never picked once since

he gave a mom performance in a 1-1 draw with spain in 2014 in a world cup qualifying game but hey lets not let facts get in the way of your ranting?

Archived