IGNORED

Badiel & Skinner - 3 Lions Controversy

Undy English

Lots of debate about this song now Russia is out of the way. This world cup especially '3 Lions' reached number 1 once again and generated a plethora of viral social media posts.

For us English, it's a football classic and sort of pokes fun at ourselves i.e. how we endure years of hurt because we never win anything. The whole viral meme and video sensations that followed were all very tongue-in-cheek and hilarious, but certainly not to be taken seriously.

For a number of foreigners (Scots included in this) the song stinks of English arrogance at how we look past opponents thinking we were going to win. According to the Mail today Slaven Bilic definitely believes this, whilst Souness thinks the song should be banned:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-5958037/Footballs-Coming-Home-Arrogant-English-sense-humour.html

For myself, I think it's all a bit of fun - the real issue is that the rest of the world doesn't understand English humour. Can the rest of the globe really not see how this whole thing is just a giant p1sstake, or do they genuinely not have a sense of humour that's vaguely similar/comprehend-able to our own???

The song is about the Euros ‘coming home’ in ‘96, our first tournament for 30 years. It’s not meant as a fingers up to any one and I don’t see it as arrogance at all or as a song that is sung stating that we are going to win anything. 

I was in Moscow last week for the semi and fans from all around the world were joining in when it was being sung in the streets and at the ground.  People love it. The Daily Heil just wants a story that’s not there. Surprise surprise! 

9 minutes ago, Undy English said:

Lots of debate about this song now Russia is out of the way. This world cup especially '3 Lions' reached number 1 once again and generated a plethora of viral social media posts.

For us English, it's a football classic and sort of pokes fun at ourselves i.e. how we endure years of hurt because we never win anything. The whole viral meme and video sensations that followed were all very tongue-in-cheek and hilarious, but certainly not to be taken seriously.

For a number of foreigners (Scots included in this) the song stinks of English arrogance at how we look past opponents thinking we were going to win. According to the Mail today Slaven Bilic definitely believes this, whilst Souness thinks the song should be banned:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-5958037/Footballs-Coming-Home-Arrogant-English-sense-humour.html

For myself, I think it's all a bit of fun - the real issue is that the rest of the world doesn't understand English humour. Can the rest of the globe really not see how this whole thing is just a giant p1sstake, or do they genuinely not have a sense of humour that's vaguely similar/comprehend-able to our own???

The key to whole of this is "DailyMail",  I mean it's not like them to try and create a controversy where one didn't/doesn't exist is it? 

The worst thing about this song is the English thought it would be great to re-release it just like flogging a dead horse and over played/chanted it for the last several weeks by anything English that moved which has turned it in to one of the most annoying songs ever. 

And ironically it made number one after we were knocked out. But don't worry because the arrogance of the English just evolved it in to The England team are coming home....Heros....HEROS???!?!?!

**** me us English have such a sense of over entitlement. It's no wonder the world hates us.

Classic case of people taking offence to something that has absolutely nothing to do with them. 

It's a song about our failures and about believing that one day it might come home again. I have no idea what songs other nations sing (anthems aside) and i really couldn't care less. I certainly won't be taking time out to get offended by them. 

3 minutes ago, Loco Rojo said:

The worst thing about this song is the English thought it would be great to re-release it just like flogging a dead horse and over played/chanted it for the last several weeks by anything English that moved which has turned it in to one of the most annoying songs ever. 

And ironically it made number one after we were knocked out. But don't worry because the arrogance of the English just evolved it in to The England team are coming home....Heros....HEROS???!?!?!

**** me us English have such a sense of over entitlement. It's no wonder the world hates us.

If the world " hates us " it is more to do with our history of rampant colonialism than a catchy pop song about football ! 

As Jordan Rhodes of Rhodesia once said ; 

" To be born an Englishman is to win first prize in the lottery of life " 

He wasn't wrong . 

12 minutes ago, Loco Rojo said:

I don't think it was officially re-released. Didn't it just come back into the charts due to the number of streams/downloads it had over the last month or so? I had a big hand in that - sorry! 

8 minutes ago, Loco Rojo said:

English thought it would be great to re-release it

Except you don't really re-release a song nowadays do you? Almost every song is just sat there on Spotify, Apple, Amazon, YouTube etc waiting to be streamed/downloaded. No one chose to push this to number 1, it just happened organically.

Furthermore recently-introduced chart rules penalise songs that are more than three years old; meaning they have to be streamed twice as many times to achieve the same "sales" as current hits.

It's a cracking song that neatly encapsulates the experience of being a football fan. You know your team is crap, you know you'll lose, but you dare to dream and that is what keeps  you going.

Scots and other Nations too thick to understand that the original song was released the year England hosted the Euros....the year football came ‘home’.

I noticed on Facebook as soon as the final whistle went against Croatia there were Welsh and Jocks coming out of the woodwork telling us how glad they were we had lost because of our ‘arrogant’ approach to the World Cup and the whole Footballs Coming Home thing.

Morons.

18 minutes ago, MC26 said:

Classic case of people taking offence to something that has absolutely nothing to do with them. 

It's a song about our failures and about believing that one day it might come home again. I have no idea what songs other nations sing (anthems aside) and i really couldn't care less. I certainly won't be taking time out to get offended by them. 

The Scots have no idea what songs they'd sing at a major tournament and we'll probably never find out.

54 minutes ago, Undy English said:

My German friend certainly didn't understand the sentiment/English sense of humour/lyrics to the song…

Basically, Souness and friends can **** off. 

I dont care what the daily fail has to say. It is a hateful paper and as someone said earlier a proud supporter of fascism for over seventy years. Souness can go and get eaten by his moustache for all I care.

Thing is, 3 Lions is going to bang again in 2 years time as Euro 2020 is hosted throughout Europe. 

Wembley will host not only the final and the semis but also 3 group matches and a knock out match.

So technically, a percentage of Football will be coming home again anyway.

1 hour ago, Undy English said:

Could thinking that your opponent is arrogant/complacent be used as a motivational tool? The answer is yes.

17 minutes ago, Septic Peg said:

Thing is, 3 Lions is going to bang again in 2 years time as Euro 2020 is hosted throughout Europe. 

Wembley will host not only the final and the semis but also 3 group matches and a knock out match.

So technically, a percentage of Football will be coming home again anyway.

"Football's 30% coming home, coming home, Football's 30% coming home"

1 hour ago, Loco Rojo said:

It hasnt been "re-released" though has it? It's the same original song but because the charts now take into account downloads and streams it has made its way back to number one. There was no official campaign, its purely got there off the back of everyone playing it, like we do during almost every tournament since the first one was released in 96.

It made number one in the midweek chart on the wednesday and in unofficial charts the previous weekend.

Absolutely nothing to do with "over entitlement"

1 hour ago, Undy English said:

The animals depicted on the badge are 3 Leopards so may need a new song/chant!

If the non English hate the song there's one simple thing they can do to knock it on the head. Let England win a tournament or two. It will totally bugger up the lyrics and the sentiment behind it. There will be no more hurt, whether it is 30 or 52 years worth of it, and there will be no more need for dreaming. 

Archived