IGNORED

Badiel & Skinner - 3 Lions Controversy

Undy English

Something that has been around for 20+ years now offending someone - shock, horror. How will the World cope if we actually have a run in the next Euros and people start singing it again? Assume fans will start getting arrested and get a criminal record for inciting some bullsh1t.....

The World has turned into one crazy weird place, and expect some radio channel to ban it some time soon just to keep some pathetic minority happy.

1 hour ago, Rudolf Hucker said:

The Scots have no idea what songs they'd sing at a major tournament and we'll probably never find out.

Dae ye no remember Ally's Tartan Army, Rudi wee lad? The song that actually boasted Scotland would win the World Cup in Argentina 1978. Then they met Peru & lost 3-1. Cubillas netted twice for Peru & I seem to recall the Scots had no idea who he was such was their lack of preparation. Worth looking up the song & footage of the game. Arrogance, eh? They did it first & far better than we English. Poor old Ally McLeod, RIP, later admitted to having a few bad days in the Argentine.

This is the same Graeme Souness who was part of The Scottish 1978 squad who were in the words of Andy Cameron were on the march with Ally’s Army who were going shake them up when they won the World Cup cause Scotland were the greatest football team!

The song also referred to representing Britain because England couldn’t do it because we didn’t quslify

7 minutes ago, RidgeRed said:

Dae ye no remember Ally's Tartan Army, Rudi wee lad? The song that actually boasted Scotland would win the World Cup in Argentina 1978. Then they met Peru & lost 3-1. Cubillas netted twice for Peru & I seem to recall the Scots had no idea who he was such was their lack of preparation. Worth looking up the song & footage of the game. Arrogance, eh? They did it first & far better than we English. Poor old Ally McLeod, RIP, later admitted to having a few bad days in the Argentine.

We're on the march wi' Ally's Army
We're going tae the Argentine
And we'll really shake them up
When we win the World Cup
Cause Scotland is the greatest football team

We're representing Britain
And we're gaunny do or die
England cannae dae it
Cause they didnae qualify

We're on the march wi' Ally's Army
We're going tae the Argentine
And we'll really shake them up
When we win the World Cup
Cause Scotland is the greatest football team.

Scotland - truly the 15ers of international football.

The scottish make me laugh... They  blast English "arrogance" on a regular basis yet they had open top buses and players paraded on the pitch in 1978. The one and only time they've had a decent team that stood a chance and they acted like they had already won it before they has even crossed hadrians wall.

A loss to peru, a draw with iran and a drugs scandal later and they came back home with their tails between their legs. (we did however get a great documentary out of it.)

Yet we sing a 20 year old song that basically lists our failures and we were the cause of our own downfall? 

2 hours ago, Undy English said:

Lots of debate about this song now Russia is out of the way. This world cup especially '3 Lions' reached number 1 once again and generated a plethora of viral social media posts.

For us English, it's a football classic and sort of pokes fun at ourselves i.e. how we endure years of hurt because we never win anything. The whole viral meme and video sensations that followed were all very tongue-in-cheek and hilarious, but certainly not to be taken seriously.

For a number of foreigners (Scots included in this) the song stinks of English arrogance at how we look past opponents thinking we were going to win. According to the Mail today Slaven Bilic definitely believes this, whilst Souness thinks the song should be banned:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-5958037/Footballs-Coming-Home-Arrogant-English-sense-humour.html

For myself, I think it's all a bit of fun - the real issue is that the rest of the world doesn't understand English humour. Can the rest of the globe really not see how this whole thing is just a giant p1sstake, or do they genuinely not have a sense of humour that's vaguely similar/comprehend-able to our own???

I think we English are a bit deluded towards what is humour sometimes. Humour has to actually be funny and relatable. We may think it’s a bit of an inside joke (mind you it’s more of a half-joke) to go around saying “it’s coming home” but it doesn’t mean other nationalities will find it the eptimone of whit.  

The best thing for “British humour” is taking it on the chin that we’re arrogant when it comes to football and usually get shown up. Better to laugh about it rather than getting defensive over a bit of “banter”.

4 minutes ago, cider-manc said:

The scottish make me laugh... They  blast English "arrogance" on a regular basis yet they had open top buses and players paraded on the pitch in 1978. The one and only time they've had a decent team that stood a chance and they acted like they had already won it before they has even crossed hadrians wall.

A loss to peru, a draw with iran and a drugs scandal later and they came back home with their tails between their legs. (we did however get a great documentary out of it.)

Yet we sing a 20 year old song that basically lists our failures and we were the cause of our own downfall? 

Have a lot of 'sensible' Scottish mates. They no longer follow their national team because, they say, it's a hotbed of anti-English racism and a breeding ground for nationalistic SNP. Apparently it's not a nice atmosphere to be amongst, even if you are a Scot!

19 minutes ago, Undy English said:

Have a lot of 'sensible' Scottish mates. They no longer follow their national team because, they say, it's a hotbed of anti-English racism and a breeding ground for nationalistic SNP. Apparently it's not a nice atmosphere to be amongst, even if you are a Scot!

Im sure there are sensible scottish football fans... Unfortunately my mrs family arent any of them!

47 minutes ago, RidgeRed said:

I remember one with John Gordon Sinclair in it? It was pretty dreadful. Then there was that dirge, "Don't come Home too Soon" by Del Amitri… 

2 minutes ago, CyderInACan said:

Ive been on a river cruise through Berlin, Dancing with the locals when the DJ played the German version. They love it. 

yeah, Klinsman thought it was funny, they sang it when they won in 2014

31 minutes ago, Odysseus said:

I think we English are a bit deluded towards what is humour sometimes. Humour has to actually be funny and relatable. We may think it’s a bit of an inside joke (mind you it’s more of a half-joke) to go around saying “it’s coming home” but it doesn’t mean other nationalities will find it the eptimone of whit.  

The best thing for “British humour” is taking it on the chin that we’re arrogant when it comes to football and usually get shown up. Better to laugh about it rather than getting defensive over a bit of “banter”.

Does that matter?

22 minutes ago, Odysseus said:

The whole thing started before the tournament.

"if you think i'm going to get excited by this bang average team... Then youre right! It's coming home lads!"

it was all jokes about how over excited/optermistic we get as a nation regardless of how good our team actually is... Basically the final bit of your post.

Maybe not very funny to other nations but something all england fans can relate to. I even believed we stood a chance in 2014.... :facepalm:

2 hours ago, exAtyeoMax said:

My German friend certainly didn't understand the sentiment/English sense of humour/lyrics to the song…

Basically, Souness and friends can **** off. 

eAM the Germans take their sense of humour very seriously.

The only other nation that really understand British Humour are our friends from the Netherlands who grew up watching British programs in the original language.

You only have to watch films etc dubbed into german to see that all humour is lost as the voices lose the timing and inflection  of the original cast.

38 minutes ago, cider-manc said:

The whole thing started before the tournament.

"if you think i'm going to get excited by this bang average team... Then youre right! It's coming home lads!"

it was all jokes about how over excited/optermistic we get as a nation regardless of how good our team actually is... Basically the final bit of your post.

Maybe not very funny to other nations but something all england fans can relate to. I even believed we stood a chance in 2014.... :facepalm:

There's always a chance…:facepalm:

1) A german side, Eintracht Frankfurt, released a version to celebrate their return to the Bundesliga: 

2) An Italian website published an article explaining it to our continental friends: http://www.ilcalcioinglese.com/2018/07/09/perche-gli-inglesi-sono-fissati-con-its-coming-home/

3) Paul Pogba sang it with the World Cup

Its just a case of things either being lost in translation or flat out mistaken for arrogance. If foreign fans knew the context they would change their tune, because it's literally about hope and belief in a team that frequently lets you down over the years. Every football fan in the world (except for armchair Man City plastics) can relate to it, which is what makes it so good.

2 minutes ago, Newquay-Red said:

Maybe Souness should just stay home and get his CD of 'Don't Come Home Too Soon'

Then again I guess you never go home too soon if you never leave home in the first place!

Thanks for sharing your views with us?

Souness is an angry and bitter Scot. Said recently that England were a 'back to front' team and beat two of the three worst teams  in the tournament, scraped past the cheating bastards on penalties and Sweden were ' overawed' by England.

How did Scotland do Graeme? ...........:yawn:

2 hours ago, CyderInACan said:

Ive been on a river cruise through Berlin, Dancing with the locals when the DJ played the German version. They love it. 

What do they do about the "30 years of hurt" section? :blink:

15 minutes ago, Robbored said:

Souness is an angry and bitter Scot. Said recently that England were a 'back to front' team and beat two of the tree worst teams  in the tournament, scraped past the cheating bastards on penalties and Sweden were ' overawed' by England.

How did Scotland do Graeme? ...........:yawn:

Souness is an angry and bitter Scot. 

Is there any other type ? 

Archived