IGNORED

Badiel & Skinner - 3 Lions Controversy

Undy English

8 hours ago, Undy English said:

For myself, I think it's all a bit of fun - the real issue is that the rest of the world doesn't understand English humour. Can the rest of the globe really not see how this whole thing is just a giant p1sstake, or do they genuinely not have a sense of humour that's vaguely similar/comprehend-able to our own???

I'm with you completely. It's a laugh, poking fun at ourselves and laughing about it with a catchy tune. People are so sodding serious these days. However I do think Ally's Tartan Army lyrics include, "Scotland are the greatest football team". Oh dear, I'm in complete outrage over the arrogance of that lyric. There's a whole movement of people who have little more in life than engaging with outrage and political correctness. It's a laugh. Lighten up FFS.

5 hours ago, CyderInACan said:

Ive been on a river cruise through Berlin, Dancing with the locals when the DJ played the German version. They love it. 

3 hours ago, downendcity said:

What do they do about the "30 years of hurt" section? :blink:

Good point, Next WC they'll be able to sing "4 years of hurt". God, we should be so lucky.

9 hours ago, Undy English said:

Lots of debate about this song now Russia is out of the way. This world cup especially '3 Lions' reached number 1 once again and generated a plethora of viral social media posts.

For us English, it's a football classic and sort of pokes fun at ourselves i.e. how we endure years of hurt because we never win anything. The whole viral meme and video sensations that followed were all very tongue-in-cheek and hilarious, but certainly not to be taken seriously.

For a number of foreigners (Scots included in this) the song stinks of English arrogance at how we look past opponents thinking we were going to win. According to the Mail today Slaven Bilic definitely believes this, whilst Souness thinks the song should be banned:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-5958037/Footballs-Coming-Home-Arrogant-English-sense-humour.html

For myself, I think it's all a bit of fun - the real issue is that the rest of the world doesn't understand English humour. Can the rest of the globe really not see how this whole thing is just a giant p1sstake, or do they genuinely not have a sense of humour that's vaguely similar/comprehend-able to our own???

Numerous people in my work, who are non football fans expect for WC’s and Euros, genuinely 100% believed England would win it, they were telling everyone who would listen that ‘it’s coming home’.  No one could reason with them, when I happened to tell them we just aren’t good enough, they classed that thought as treason!

6 hours ago, Newquay-Red said:

Maybe Souness should just stay home and get his CD of 'Don't Come Home Too Soon'

Then again I guess you never go home too soon if you never leave home in the first place!

I liked the (widely shared) social media post - “England, 4th best team in the world....Scotland, 4th best team in the UK”

9 hours ago, RidgeRed said:

Dae ye no remember Ally's Tartan Army, Rudi wee lad? The song that actually boasted Scotland would win the World Cup in Argentina 1978. Then they met Peru & lost 3-1. Cubillas netted twice for Peru & I seem to recall the Scots had no idea who he was such was their lack of preparation. Worth looking up the song & footage of the game. Arrogance, eh? They did it first & far better than we English. Poor old Ally McLeod, RIP, later admitted to having a few bad days in the Argentine.

Yes, I do remember that song, and what a pile of shit it was.

18 hours ago, Gazred said:

It was initially written for Euro 96 when football did "come home" as it was the first tournament we had hosted since 66.

Are not all World Cup songs basically about going and winning it?

Not for the Scots my friend 

On 17/07/2018 at 09:57, UREDS_91 said:

In that case, its their own ignorance which has caused their issue. Nothing to do with the English

Crying ‘ignorance’ as a riposte to yourself being called ‘arrogant’ isn’t going to help.

I don’t like the perception either (it’s just a fun song), but that’s the way it is.

3 minutes ago, WessexPest said:

Ha! Souness accusing others of arrogance! Didn’t he try to blame the pitch when we knocked his Liverpool side out of the FA Cup. Guy’s a prize tool.

Long time ago listened to a top flight referee reminiscing.

He was asked who was the worst player he had refereed and he immediately said Souness. Said he was a great player and hard as nails but a pain in the arse - always moaning about decisions, and trying to bend the refs ear throughout the game.

1 minute ago, downendcity said:

Long time ago listened to a top flight referee reminiscing.

He was asked who was the worst player he had refereed and he immediately said Souness. Said he was a great player and hard as nails but a pain in the arse - always moaning about decisions, and trying to bend the refs ear throughout the game.

Can’t say I’m surprised - he always came across as a thug (albeit a skillful one unlike, say, Vinnie Jones or Julian Dicks) For such a “hard man” though he had to pick on the tea lady at St Johnstone. 

On ‎16‎/‎07‎/‎2018 at 11:12, MC26 said:

Classic case of people taking offence to something that has absolutely nothing to do with them. 

It's a song about our failures and about believing that one day it might come home again. I have no idea what songs other nations sing (anthems aside) and i really couldn't care less. I certainly won't be taking time out to get offended by them. 

I think it's more of a classic case of media outlets pretending people have been offended when they haven't!

11 hours ago, Miah Dennehy said:

I think it's more of a classic case of media outlets pretending people have been offended when they haven't!

There is truth in that, the media are making it seem a lot worse but I have seen a lot of people kicking off over Twitter over the past month (especially the Colombians). 

I stupidly started trying to argue the point but after a while and countless abuse later, I had to give up. 

13 hours ago, bristolmoose said:

Planting Galatasaray's flag in the middle of Fenerbahce's pitch might be considered a touch arrogant suicidal!

1 hour ago, MC26 said:

There is truth in that, the media are making it seem a lot worse but I have seen a lot of people kicking off over Twitter over the past month (especially the Colombians). 

I stupidly started trying to argue the point but after a while and countless abuse later, I had to give up. 

Unfortunately mainstream media seem to get their 'offended' stories from social media.

Half a dozen people moan about something on Twitter, then the mainstream mob join in . using a few random quotes, to try and create the impression there is mass outrage.It is a serious problem and quite depressing. The amount of shite you see on something like Facebook about the flying of St George crosses beggars belief.

Archived