IGNORED

Jens Hegeler

westonred

He's a good player IMO.

Strengths:

*Can screen the defence (ideally he'd play that zone between the back 4 and the midfield).

* Or as a ball playing centre back in a back 3.

*He's technically sound.

*Think he's capable of a tackle.

Weaknesses:

*As part of a central 2, not a good shout.

*Has his flaws as a centre back in a back 4 as well Though in certain scenarios, v say Bolton early season, Burton at home or some very deep lying defensive sides, his technical ability from centre back might have helped speed up the play a bit, give that extra edge to pull out of position that bit quicker- it all helps tbh!

I remember last season an interesting comment. Think @Davefevs reckoned he could have slotted in at Fulham or Wolves. Wouldn't disagree.

Still believe in a 4-3-3/4-1-4-1 hybrid, that role screening between back 4 and the rest of the midfield, his positional sense and his sound passing...he'd be a useful fit.

17 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

remember last season an interesting comment. Think @Davefevs reckoned he could have slotted in at Fulham or Wolves. Wouldn't disagree.

Yep, @Davefevs has often maintained that Hegeler is a fine player, but he isn’t the only one...I’ve consistently waxed lyrical on here about what a good footballer that guy is....a decent, experienced, knowledgable head coach would have utilised him in the right way and would have got so much out of him...

50 minutes ago, Rossi the Robin said:

LJ said he wanted to build the team around him but he is probably the least suited to our style of play 

Did LJ have different ideas of style of play when we signed him? - another odd one

I dont think he said he ‘wanted’ to build a team around him. Think he commented that you could build a team round him. Maybe he meant he is the type you need to build a team around

There were rumours of how much say Johnson had on transfers before this summer. Doesnt strike me as a Johnson signing as was probably seen as a decent punt at the price

55 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

He's a good player IMO.

Strengths:

*Can screen the defence (ideally he'd play that zone between the back 4 and the midfield).

* Or as a ball playing centre back in a back 3.

*He's technically sound.

*Think he's capable of a tackle.

Weaknesses:

*As part of a central 2, not a good shout.

*Has his flaws as a centre back in a back 4 as well Though in certain scenarios, v say Bolton early season, Burton at home or some very deep lying defensive sides, his technical ability from centre back might have helped speed up the play a bit, give that extra edge to pull out of position that bit quicker- it all helps tbh!

I remember last season an interesting comment. Think @Davefevs reckoned he could have slotted in at Fulham or Wolves. Wouldn't disagree.

Still believe in a 4-3-3/4-1-4-1 hybrid, that role screening between back 4 and the rest of the midfield, his positional sense and his sound passing...he'd be a useful fit.

32 minutes ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

Yep, @Davefevs has often maintained that Hegeler is a fine player, but he isn’t the only one...I’ve consistently waxed lyrical on here about what a good footballer that guy is....a decent, experienced, knowledgable head coach would have utilised him in the right way and would have got so much out of him...

Thanks guys, but I also thought Woodrow was a good signing!

Seriously though, I do think Hegeler has a lot of quality, I see him do things that others can’t.  He played RCB in a 3 in his first few games and looked like a ‘rolls royce’ (LJ himself said that), looking more capable of playing in midfield, but we were also going through a poor run.  It didn’t work out there.  He did well enough in the couple of home games at the start of last season at CB, but I understand he was poor at Brum away.

i do think people expect him to play like Flint, he’s not that type of CB.

Good to see him in the Marbella training video.  If LJ could find the role and system for him, he could be a real asset.  It is a big if.

8 hours ago, Bangkok Red said:

Hegeler has a knee injury as confirmed by Mr Gregor in his post Shrewsbury comments.

Cheers i must have missed that. I did see him on a video last night jogging with the rest of the squad so he is still about :laugh: 

7 hours ago, RedDave said:

I dont think he said he ‘wanted’ to build a team around him. Think he commented that you could build a team round him. Maybe he meant he is the type you need to build a team around

There were rumours of how much say Johnson had on transfers before this summer. Doesnt strike me as a Johnson signing as was probably seen as a decent punt at the price

Players to fit the system is the correct way to go about things (see current England team) and LJ does that.

However Hegeler was available at such a bargain price and although he doesn't fit into our current starting 11 he is a fantastic player and option for a change of formation/tactics. If JH is happy with that situation we would be foolish to get rid of him.

2 hours ago, Garland-sweden said:

Hope he is fit. He was injuried a long time last season. Hegeler is also like a new signing, most of us dont know If he is good or bad. He have played in Bundesliga so Im sure he got something. Hopefully he can play many games for us this season. At what position did he play in Germany?

He played all over, mainly DM, CM....but also played AM/No10 too.

He is a technical footballer....sometimes they work in this country, sometimes they don’t.  Would like to see him in a midfield 3.

1 hour ago, Davefevs said:

He played all over, mainly DM, CM....but also played AM/No10 too.

He is a technical footballer....sometimes they work in this country, sometimes they don’t.  Would like to see him in a midfield 3.

3-5-2 with him in the DM role would suit JH - IMO.

And we do line up that way sometimes.

Not too sure he could play in midfield for us. Looked miles off it on the couple of occasions that he did. Not sure that he's a better player than Pack & both of them in midfield would be slow!

Only think Hegeler would really work in a back 3. Webster looks equally as comfortable on the ball from the little I've seen of him. I wouldn't mind seeing him and Webster either side of Baker/Wright but I don't think Johnson fancies playing with a 3/5 at the back. Not done that in the time he's been here so far has he?

15 minutes ago, Carey 6 said:

Not too sure he could play in midfield for us. Looked miles off it on the couple of occasions that he did. Not sure that he's a better player than Pack & both of them in midfield would be slow!

Only think Hegeler would really work in a back 3. Webster looks equally as comfortable on the ball from the little I've seen of him. I wouldn't mind seeing him and Webster either side of Baker/Wright but I don't think Johnson fancies playing with a 3/5 at the back. Not done that in the time he's been here so far has he?

What system did we tend to play him (Hegeler) in a midfield position in?

20 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

What system did we tend to play him (Hegeler) in a midfield position in?

I don't remember the formation we played, it was just after he joined. Remember thinking myself how wasted a bloke that good on the ball would be in defence, then Johnson put him in centre midfield for a few games and I thought he struggled, games kept passing him by but iirc had an exceptional half at Derby away. 

12 hours ago, Davefevs said:

Thanks guys, but I also thought Woodrow was a good signing!

Seriously though, I do think Hegeler has a lot of quality, I see him do things that others can’t.  He played RCB in a 3 in his first few games and looked like a ‘rolls royce’ (LJ himself said that), looking more capable of playing in midfield, but we were also going through a poor run.  It didn’t work out there.  He did well enough in the couple of home games at the start of last season at CB, but I understand he was poor at Brum away.

i do think people expect him to play like Flint, he’s not that type of CB.

Good to see him in the Marbella training video.  If LJ could find the role and system for him, he could be a real asset.  It is a big if.

That's a big 'if for a diminutive head coach..

20 minutes ago, Carey 6 said:

I don't remember the formation we played, it was just after he joined. Remember thinking myself how wasted a bloke that good on the ball would be in defence, then Johnson put him in centre midfield for a few games and I thought he struggled, games kept passing him by but iirc had an exceptional half at Derby away. 

Fair. Definitely if 

Still central defence- in the right system, would also potentially suit him I think. Not a 4-4-2 though, thinking more a progressive keeper distributes well, 3 in the central midfield and between them a ball-playing centre back. Something like Fulham's system?

Funnily enough, if we didn't have him already he's the sort of player I would have been looking at this summer in terms of attributes to progress us on the footballing front. Depends on what philosophy LJ is keen on too of course!

16 hours ago, RedDave said:

I've heard a lot of this sort of thing. So does this mean that Steve Lansdown trusts his money with Ashton, who so far as i'm aware has no prior experience of identifying players or negotiating contracts at this level ?

Archived