IGNORED

City v England 66

steviestevieneville

33 minutes ago, Super said:

How many games did Dave Merrington play for us Wiki doesn't show any?

AFAIK None. City signed him (from Burnley?) when he was injured. Dave never recovered, so City received an insurance payout.

Wow just had a looksie and found a copy of this programme in the loft. Teams that day (as per programme)

City ; Cashley,Sweeney, Drysdale, Emanuel, Rodgers, Merrick, Fear, Ritchie, Galley, Gow, Gould subs Gillies / Collier / Tainton

England ; Shilton, Cohen, Wilson, Newton, Mullery, Storey, Moore, Willie Morgan, Ball, Hurst, Hunt, Greaves, Eastham, Charlton

Ref Harry New (Bristol) Linesmen L Radford (Bristol) D Salter (Keynsham)

I would have been there aged 9 unfortunately I remember absolutely no details of the match.

1 hour ago, Sir Geoff said:

Wow just had a looksie and found a copy of this programme in the loft. Teams that day (as per programme)

City ; Cashley,Sweeney, Drysdale, Emanuel, Rodgers, Merrick, Fear, Ritchie, Galley, Gow, Gould subs Gillies / Collier / Tainton

England ; Shilton, Cohen, Wilson, Newton, Mullery, Storey, Moore, Willie Morgan, Ball, Hurst, Hunt, Greaves, Eastham, Charlton

Ref Harry New (Bristol) Linesmen L Radford (Bristol) D Salter (Keynsham)

I would have been there aged 9 unfortunately I remember absolutely no details of the match.

Isn't that Ian Storey- Moore rather than 2 separate players? He wasn't in the 66 world cup squad but he did get a cap in 70. He had a bad injury I think, I saw him play at Bath City for Burton Albion in the mid 70's and he still looked class.  Or is it the convicted "Peter Storey"? 

3 hours ago, Hello Dave said:

I definetly watched this game, although I can’t remember anything about it! Around the same time, I remember watching England U23 v East Germany U23 down the Gate. England had the likes of, Keegan, Macdonald, Hudson and Osgood playing for them.

Wasn’t Chris Garland still here then and was named as substitute to boost the crowd?

46 minutes ago, East End Old Boy said:

Wasn’t Chris Garland still here then and was named as substitute to boost the crowd?

No; we thought Garland might be in the U23 squad, but Alf Ramsey said no. It then emerged he was referring to a WBA player also named Garland. A few months later Chris Garland played for the England U23 team at Plymouth.

Some kids ran to the dug outs to try and get East German autographs, but were turned away by the EG manager.

7 hours ago, Port Said Red said:

Isn't that Ian Storey- Moore rather than 2 separate players? He wasn't in the 66 world cup squad but he did get a cap in 70. He had a bad injury I think, I saw him play at Bath City for Burton Albion in the mid 70's and he still looked class.  Or is it the convicted "Peter Storey"? 

Ian Storey-Moore is correct. He did get a cap for England but wasn't in the 1970 World Cup squad. His career ended prematurely due to a bad knee injury. 

8 hours ago, 22A said:

AFAIK None. City signed him (from Burnley?) when he was injured. Dave never recovered, so City received an insurance payout.

Yep, Merrington was crocked in a pre-season game and never played again for the club. 

Different era back then...........testimonial match would never be granted these days.

8 hours ago, Hello Dave said:

I definetly watched this game, although I can’t remember anything about it! Around the same time, I remember watching England U23 v East Germany U23 down the Gate. England had the likes of, Keegan, Macdonald, Hudson and Osgood playing for them.

I remember going to this, was impressed to see international football at the Gate, East Germany were a very god side and won 1-0.  Particularly remember a young Mick Channon playing.

22 hours ago, Port Said Red said:

Peter Storey and Bobby Moore

I also have a programme from the U 21 game vs East Germany a game that I also attended. I have all the England autographs from that day including Sir Alf and Harold Shepperdson. If memory serves me correctly Chris Garland turned out for England (I assume to boost the local attendance figure).

2 hours ago, Sir Geoff said:

I also have a programme from the U 21 game vs East Germany a game that I also attended. I have all the England autographs from that day including Sir Alf and Harold Shepperdson. If memory serves me correctly Chris Garland turned out for England (I assume to boost the local attendance figure).

I always remember my dad raving about a player the East Germans had called Jürgen Sparwasser. He was right about him too, he went on to play  49 times and score 14 goals for the senior team.

17 hours ago, Port Said Red said:

I always remember my dad raving about a player the East Germans had called Jürgen Sparwasser. He was right about him too, he went on to play  49 times and score 14 goals for the senior team.

At the 1974 World Cup the unfancied East Germans beat the eventual winners West Germany 1-0 in the group stage.

Archived