IGNORED

And we moan about the price of the City top!

CyderInACan

8 hours ago, Bristol Rob said:

Apologies for posting a link I dropped in another thread a few weeks back, but the self manufactured kit model we have adopted increasingly looks like a great decision.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/the-set-pieces-blog/2016/aug/24/transfer-window-market-myths

Read it and consider.

Good find Bob  interesting read  

11 hours ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

You also have to blame the idiots who will pay this

I agree, United fans should organize a boycott and buy retro ones instead. England shirts have never been more expensive and it was noticeable during the World Cup how many fans wore the 1982 retro one and how few wore the 2018 version.

6 hours ago, Red-Robbo said:

Fit, basically.

The authentic fit is sometimes described as "athletic fit" and if you're of average BMI you're going to look like an overstuffed sausage casing in one. "Replica" usually means it's a bit roomier.

Exactly. If you read the Sun Story it's £64.95 for the equivalent of a normal City top which is £45.00. Look I'll agree it's all overpriced, but lets not over-sensationalise this, especially with some of the prices quoted for other teams. (In certain cases fan-friendly ticket prices make their gouging on shirt prices a bit more palatable.)

Whilst checking the City prices, I noticed that the leisurewear is sensibly priced - e.g. £15.00 for a polo shirt, down £5 or £10 using the reward scheme credit. A relatively cheap way of wearing club colours next (this?) season without advertising Dunder. Win, win.

1 hour ago, sglosbcfc said:

I agree, United fans should organize a boycott and buy retro ones instead. England shirts have never been more expensive and it was noticeable during the World Cup how many fans wore the 1982 retro one and how few wore the 2018 version.

True, I didn't see many people in the actual England kit at all. I picked up a retro one 4 years ago and went for the training top (like many others) this year. Both around half the price of the actual kit at the time. 

13 hours ago, ZiderEyed said:

They've been creeping up really sinisterly over the years. Won't be long til 100 quids the going rate for a t shirt.

Many NFL, NBA & NHL shirts are £100 or over so it wouldn’t surprise me either. I think the price should be reduced only in the club shops to give something back to the real fans, 

6 minutes ago, man in the middle said:

Many NFL, NBA & NHL shirts are £100 or over so it wouldn’t surprise me either. I think the price should be reduced only in the club shops to give something back to the real fans, 

My thoughts exactly. Any time I've been to the NFL games in London the tops have always been around £80+, and the queue to buy them has always been around half an hour, so they'll definitely sell.

The difference for many American sports is that they don't update the jersey every season, whereas football teams do, so we're actually getting a worse deal than they do in American sports.

13 hours ago, CyderInACan said:

The “cheaper” version of the new Man Utd top is £65 and the “authentic” version is £110! Flipping heck. 

https://news.sky.com/story/disgustingly-expensive-manchester-united-fans-react-to-183-price-tag-for-new-home-kit-11439637

Cheaper version is the equivalent of what we sell, the authentic version is a player version which is more costly to produce and a world of difference in quality. Nike have three tiers with theirs, replica, high design replica player version which the players wear. 

Essentially the only difference to us is that we don't use high end tech in our kits like the duel knitting processes etc so our replicas aren't far off what the players wear and therfore we just get a flat price rather than multiple options. 

11 hours ago, Tinmans Love Child said:

What’s the difference between the authentic kit and the “cheap” kit?  

Replicas often have a looser cut to fit fans better and use different materials to keep costs lower. 

Authentic versions use more advanced materials that are lighter and often have heat pressed team badges and logos rather than embroidered to also keep weight to a minimum. You also find these shirts are tighter to the skin to make them harder to pull in-game. 

Nike also occasionally add inspirational words woven underneath the sleeves on authentic Nike AeroSwift shirts but you'll not find these on replicas. 

14 hours ago, ZiderEyed said:

They've been creeping up really sinisterly over the years. Won't be long til 100 quids the going rate for a t shirt.

Been that way on the continent for a while. Visited Ajax last year and it was 89euros for a shirt. Even with the conversion to GBP that's over £80! Same in Portugal for any of their big 3 clubs.

15 hours ago, South Somerset Red said:

Black shorts and red socks? They must have some angry fans right now considering they've always had white shorts and black socks

They wore blacks shorts when they played in Div 2 - 74/5 when City did the double over them.  

Amazed Clubs the size of United don’t have their own clothing production company to produce all their clothing products including kits

Then again when Adidas pay you £750  :blink::blink: million over 10years to do it why bother

United couldn’t care less about the price fans pay

And will still be earning out of every shirt sold

# Football Clubs abusing the fanaticism and loyalty of fans Shock

6 minutes ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

I wouldn’t ever purchase any Man Yoo stuff - how much did you pay for Liverpool’s socks?

Nothing, not a full-kit manual manipulator!!!  In fact haven’t bought myself a City Shirt since the days of Mick Harford.

5 minutes ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

It’s ok boys you can stop fretting the socks are a bargain £16.95

A9D0428F-2B28-4347-9994-1591D6D183D4.png

:laughcont:

I see a lot of the Addidas boots are now over £200-250 !!!   :blink:  WTF

Youd definitely want some decent boot money these days @Davefevs  !!!!

Not arf....they probably only last a few games too.

9 minutes ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

It’s ok boys you can stop fretting the socks are a bargain £16.95

A9D0428F-2B28-4347-9994-1591D6D183D4.png

:laughcont:

I see a lot of the Addidas boots are now over £200-250 !!!   :blink:  WTF

Youd definitely want some decent boot money these days @Davefevs  !!!!

They are £200+ because of the massive endorsement deals Adidas hand out to top players.

Ridiculous pricing but some people have disposable incomes to cover such extortionate price tags. On the plus side, at least the shirt sponsor isn't a gambling extorter.  Give me a Chevvy over a Dunder any day!!

5 minutes ago, m42 said:

Ridiculous pricing but some people have disposable incomes to cover such extortionate price tags. 

Well said. Until people stop finding the money and forking out for these things, this trend will never change.

I do feel sorry for Utd fans to some degree, as most people lapping up their kit are Chinese tourists, who're happy to part with such money willingly. 

4 hours ago, Spike said:

Replicas often have a looser cut to fit fans better and use different materials to keep costs lower. 

Nike also occasionally add inspirational words woven underneath the sleeves on authentic Nike AeroSwift shirts but you'll not find these on replicas. 

What do they say? …….  ' F@@k You, Suckers! '  ?? 

"Fools & Their Money..... hee, hee, hee,' ??

'Like Taking Candy From Babbers! ' 

' £ € $ Unbelievable Jeff, Thanks a Multi-Million $ € £ '

Crikey, that Manchester kit is awful. Rip-off prices too. 

9 hours ago, sglosbcfc said:

You're right about the England shirts. I saw very few being worn too compared to the retro ones, which seem quite popular. I can't imagine forking out all that money for an England shirt.

23 hours ago, CyderInACan said:

The “cheaper” version of the new Man Utd top is £65 and the “authentic” version is £110! Flipping heck. 

https://news.sky.com/story/disgustingly-expensive-manchester-united-fans-react-to-183-price-tag-for-new-home-kit-11439637

If their true fans from Japan can afford the airfare for every home game then they can afford a shirt

Archived