IGNORED

C'mon Bryan, sign your contract!

headhunter

What are you waiting for?

The Manager made you his captain last night. OK, it was a meaningless friendly but by doing so it suggests you aren't going anywhere within the next 3 weeks.

Show you really are one of our own and sign what's on the table. If you keep up a level of consistency you'll get that Prem move you want. Flint signed in January when it might have been better for him if he hadn't done. Don't do a Maynard.

16 minutes ago, headhunter said:

The Manager made you his captain last night. OK, it was a meaningless friendly but by doing so it suggests you aren't going anywhere within the next 3 weeks.

Show you really are one of our own and sign what's on the table. If you keep up a level of consistency you'll get that Prem move you want. Flint signed in January when it might have been better for him if he hadn't done. Don't do a Maynard.

weighing up his options, and he isn't doing a maynard as no one has bid for him so he can't turn them down,

My guess is that a deadline has been set on Bryan. We know there are no offers, and Bryan hasn't indicated that he's off, so he's in the team until that deadline is set.

If he hits that deadline and he still hasn't signed a contract, he'll be frozen out of the first-team until a suitable buyer is found, or until his contract is up.

22 minutes ago, CodeRed said:

The sensible thing would be to offer him an improved deal but with an agreed realistic release fee. 

But i think, as someone else pointed out on here a few weeks ago, his agent may have advised against signing anything like that, as it makes him a less desirable target for teams than if he only had a year to run. Let's face it, what we think is realistic, and what other teams would think realistic would not be the same fee.

22 minutes ago, Dingbat said:

But i think, as someone else pointed out on here a few weeks ago, his agent may have advised against signing anything like that, as it makes him a less desirable target for teams than if he only had a year to run. Let's face it, what we think is realistic, and what other teams would think realistic would not be the same fee.

if his agent adviced against it then he should be sacked,

He'd get a massive pay rise and will be able to leave as soon as a bid reached our asking price, its win win for the player, and its better then being frozen out and not playing 

7 minutes ago, Monkeh said:

if his agent adviced against it then he should be sacked,

He'd get a massive pay rise and will be able to leave as soon as a bid reached our asking price, its win win for the player, and its better then being frozen out and not playing 

I've really no idea what his agent is advising him, but when I heard it mentioned before, it made perfect sense - if you're a team with a list of targets at left back/mid,  and one has a year to run whilst the others don't (but may have release clauses?), the one with the year left immediately becomes of interest above the others i would suspect. The thing with the asking price is it's our asking price, which would be higher than a price dictated by the fact Joe's soon out of contract. If the buying team get a better deal, would that not allow Joe to negotiate a better-paid deal, so is signing a deal with City really a win for Joe? 

3 minutes ago, Red Rag said:

Which ever way you look at its driven by the green eyed monster. Letting your contract run down is a risky business. Serious career ending injury  is only one tackle away. Think very carefully Joe.

The probability of getting a transfer to a club who’ll pay him more is far higher than getting a career ending injury.

Football careers are short, can’t really blame players for trying to maximise their earnings.

2 hours ago, EnderMB said:

My guess is that a deadline has been set on Bryan. We know there are no offers, and Bryan hasn't indicated that he's off, so he's in the team until that deadline is set.

If he hits that deadline and he still hasn't signed a contract, he'll be frozen out of the first-team until a suitable buyer is found, or until his contract is up.

I hope not. I always hated GJ's tendency to freeze players out if they would not sign new contracts. Even if he does not re-sign, we're paying Bryan until his contract ends, it's in his interests to play well and I'd rather we kept using our best players. I find freezing players out because they will not sign - which they are perfectly entitled to choose not to do - a bit petty and basically cutting our own noses off to spite our faces. 

4 minutes ago, LondonBristolian said:

I hope not. I always hated GJ's tendency to freeze players out if they would not sign new contracts. Even if he does not re-sign, we're paying Bryan until his contract ends, it's in his interests to play well and I'd rather we kept using our best players. I find freezing players out because they will not sign - which they are perfectly entitled to choose not to do - a bit petty and basically cutting our own noses off to spite our faces. 

i didn't, its a message to the players "you don't want to be here then I don't want you in the team"

5 minutes ago, LondonBristolian said:

Sorry but I completely disagree with this 100%  

Football is a team game and when you have one player who wants away (or at least doesn’t buy into the dream) then you unsettle the essential camaraderie and bonding within the group. A ‘bad apple’ in the barrel.  

I get the ‘play your best players’ bit, but I would argue that your best TEAM isn’t always made up of your best players. A great team is a group who would do everything and anything for each other - not with one eye on the door. 

By playing Bryan you are denying investing valuable playing time to another player who wants to be at the club and HAS committed. 

We must NOT repeat the Maynard debacle. 

When Flint looked like he was off last season LJ dropped him and I thought at the time it was the right thing to do. I believe the same applies to Bryan - although admittedly there doesn’t seem to be any interest from another club whereas Birmingham  very publicly were after Flint. 

7 minutes ago, Monkeh said:

i didn't, its a message to the players "you don't want to be here then I don't want you in the team"

Agree - rather have Kelly get a full season under his belt. Of course he isn't quite yet the player Joe is, but he may well become that player. Suspect Kelly may be the only person who doesn't want him to sign!

Bryan should sign an improved deal with a fair release clause (not 300k) if there aren't any bids yet. If he stays and has a great season he will be gone to the Prem no problem as someone will meet that valuation, and if he isn't consistent nobody will take him anyway and he stays here on an improved deal.

8 minutes ago, bcfcredandwhite said:

Football is a team game and when you have one player who wants away (or at least doesn’t buy into the dream) then you unsettle the essential camaraderie and bonding within the group. A ‘bad apple’ in the barrel.  

I get the ‘play your best players’ bit, but I would argue that your best TEAM isn’t always made up of your best players. A great team is a group who would do everything and anything for each other - not with one eye on the door. 

By playing Bryan you are denying investing valuable playing time to another player who wants to be at the club and HAS committed. 

When Flint looked like he was off last season LJ dropped him and I thought at the time it was the right thing to do. I believe the same applies to Bryan - although admittedly there doesn’t seem to be any interest from another club whereas Birmingham  very publicly were after Flint. 

Different set of circumstances, Flint wasn’t in last year of contract, nor did last season have an early transfer deadline.

We need to play this one carefully.

4 minutes ago, wood_red said:

Agree - rather have Kelly get a full season under his belt. Of course he isn't quite yet the player Joe is, but he may well become that player. Suspect Kelly may be the only person who doesn't want him to sign!

Bryan should sign an improved deal with a fair release clause (not 300k) if there aren't any bids yet. If he stays and has a great season he will be gone to the Prem no problem as someone will meet that valuation, and if he isn't consistent nobody will take him anyway and he stays here on an improved deal.

what would you think a fair fee is, me personally I think 7 million is a fair one fore a player of his age and ability 

I would happily say 7 million is fair as it stands, hopefully if he has a good season with us there will be more than one interested party and that fee would/should be easily achievable.

28 minutes ago, bcfcredandwhite said:

Surely it depends on how people approach it, though? Of course you have to get rid of a player who is undermining the squad but, if a player is happy to give it all for the final year of his contract, I don't see any reason not to pick him. Ironically you talk of Maynard but he was a player who did play in his final season under a contract - at least until he was sold - and maintained a one in three strike rate scoring eight goals before Christmas that we would very possibly have been relegated without. If a player was playing his last season before retiring then, even though you knew he would not be around the next year, nobody would have a problem with it. I don't see any reason at all not pick a player if they are working hard and playing well, even if they have not signed a contract. 

English, naturally left-footed, versatile in position, 140 appearances in the Championship, at 24 the perfect age for a 4 year contract, available at a sensible price given his contract situation and he has stalled on a renewal showing he would seriously consider moving away... and yet there appears to be no strong interest.

Something I've bleated for a long time, but I genuinely think he is vastly overrated within BS3 and I think the lack of firm interest is testament to that. 

7 minutes ago, 29AR said:

English, naturally left-footed, versatile in position, 140 appearances in the Championship, at 24 the perfect age for a 4 year contract, available at a sensible price given his contract situation and he has stalled on a renewal showing he would seriously consider moving away... and yet there appears to be no strong interest.

Something I've bleated for a long time, but I genuinely think he is vastly overrated within BS3 and I think the lack of firm interest is testament to that. 

Well....you first paragraph is exactly right and  as for your second - I think you have made a very decent point.

57 minutes ago, wood_red said:

I would happily say 7 million is fair as it stands, hopefully if he has a good season with us there will be more than one interested party and that fee would/should be easily achievable.

£7m is way off the mark, he's not worth half that and the fact no one is showing an interest in buying him shows he's maybe not as in demand as he thinks he might be.

With a single year on his contract, we'd be lucky to get £2m for him.

He's obviously a solid Championship player, and he could make the move up to the Premier League if someone were willing to give him a chance, but he's the one with the leverage here, not us. A cheaper deal makes a move for him more attractive, and opens up more room for wages at his new club.

Best case scenario is that the club knows something we don't - he's verbally agreed to signing a new deal at City, and the delay is purely in negotiations between Ashton and Bryan's agent. For me, this is the likely scenario, as losing him on a free at the end of the season would effectively undo all the work we've put in to boosting our wage structure after the sale of Flint and Reid.

Worst case scenario is that Bryan and the club are in a stalemate, and neither side wants to blink first. This opens up the likely scenario where Bryan leaves for free in the summer. If this happens and the club hasn't prepared for it by replacing Bryan this season, it should result in Mark Ashton being relieved of his duties, unless we achieve promotion this season. It not only undermines confidence in the squad, due to a key player choosing to leave over achieving success with them, it undermines the fans confidence in the team, at a point in the season where we typically achieve a good level of success.

44 minutes ago, CHIPLEY RED said:

and the fact no one is showing an interest in buying him shows he's maybe not as in demand as he thinks he might be.

You think that JB over estimates his own talent? More like it's City fans that do that......

4 minutes ago, EnderMB said:

With a single year on his contract, we'd be lucky to get £2m for him.

He's obviously a solid Championship player, and he could make the move up to the Premier League if someone were willing to give him a chance, but he's the one with the leverage here, not us. A cheaper deal makes a move for him more attractive, and opens up more room for wages at his new club.

Best case scenario is that the club knows something we don't - he's verbally agreed to signing a new deal at City, and the delay is purely in negotiations between Ashton and Bryan's agent. For me, this is the likely scenario, as losing him on a free at the end of the season would effectively undo all the work we've put in to boosting our wage structure after the sale of Flint and Reid.

Worst case scenario is that Bryan and the club are in a stalemate, and neither side wants to blink first. This opens up the likely scenario where Bryan leaves for free in the summer. If this happens and the club hasn't prepared for it by replacing Bryan this season, it should result in Mark Ashton being relieved of his duties, unless we achieve promotion this season. It not only undermines confidence in the squad, due to a key player choosing to leave over achieving success with them, it undermines the fans confidence in the team, at a point in the season where we typically achieve a good level of success.

we got 10 million for reid with one year left on his contract, and Bryans been a much more consistent performer at this level then reid

• Admin

4 minutes ago, Monkeh said:

we got 10 million for reid with one year left on his contract, and Bryans been a much more consistent performer at this level then reid

I would disagree with that, since Christmas JB has been average at best for us - maybe  the real reason interest seems to have cooled off on him?

4 hours ago, headhunter said:

He won't sign...??

Goodbye then,and close the door on your way out.

Anything with an initial cost of at a minimum £8mil > sell on/add on's and I will drive 'im there myself,and pay the petrol.

Let him go & get that 'centre mid in that we've needed for years now..

18 minutes ago, Monkeh said:

And Reid left quickly, before pre-season had started. Cardiff wanted him, and Reid had shown no desire to leave. Besides, I think many of us think we've pulled the heist of the century by selling Reid to Cardiff. Only time will tell if Reid lights up the Premier League or if we'll be laughing all the way to the bank.

We're into pre-season now, and so far no noise has been made about clubs wanting Bryan, either planted from his agent or directly from a club. That leads me to think that Bryan either wants to manufacture a move, or he's simply negotiating a new contract. Regardless, without demand, there's no reason for him to go for anything near his value.

Archived