IGNORED

C'mon Bryan, sign your contract!

headhunter

If Joe doesn't want to be here he needs to be let go as soon as possible, even if we get a bit less than we think we should. 

If he stays and plays like he did after January he'd be not much use and also in the way of others developing.

Good luck to him in whatever he chooses but if he does go the world will keep on turning...

I can see him at Leeds - fits the profile of their new manager from an attacking sense & they are in dire need of a LB.

No solid PL interest by all accounts & Leeds & Boro are the front runners.

1yr left & with no agreement on a new deal then the price has to be realistic - certainly not £10m which is pure fantasy football. Would be lucky to get anywhere near half that amount.

3 minutes ago, Juan Domingo Roldan said:

I can see him at Leeds - fits the profile of their new manager from an attacking sense & they are in dire need of a LB.

1yr left & with no agreement on a new deal then the price has to be realistic - certainly not £10m which is pure fantasy football. Would be lucky to get anywhere near half that amount.

Leeds and Boro have made offers for JB?  Or is this more wild speculation 'found' on some unreliable social media site?

I think £7M or even upwards would have been very reasonable, perhaps even achievable, in the January window, following on from his general League performances in the first half of the season and, especially, his League Cup exploits and televised goal against Manchester United.

We shall probably never know, but it is possible that a promising and lucrative (for JB) January transfer opportunity was, in fact, rejected by the Club, resulting in a drop in his performance levels in the second half of the season. 

Nevertheless, I don't think too much should be read in to JB's failure to achieve a transfer or even sign a new contract.

JB portrays as an intelligent and honourable young man, and it is possible that he has set himself a high standard, i.e. not wishing to contemplate a sideways move, but only a move to a Premier League team with both a standard and style of football that suits his own style and ambitions. 

I suspect that, should JB not achieve a suitable move before the Premier League transfer window closes (first week of August) he may, indeed, sign a new, improved contract incorporating a sensible release fee.

As long as JB puts in 100% effort over the final year of his contract, he can’t be criticised really can he? He would have honoured what he’s said he’d do and therefore I don’t buy into the notion of him being disloyal, money obsessed etc. If he does indeed want to play at the next level but no bid is accepted before the end of this transfer window, with any luck he'll sign a deal that at least gives us something in the way of a release clause if clubs come in for him in January/Summer 2019.

If he does stay without signing a new contract the problem will come if/when his or the team’s performance dips. They’ll be plenty of calls of his head being elsewhere or lack of commitment if he pulls out (or even if he’s unfairly judged to have pulled out) of 50/50 challenges.

Even if it’s the team’s form that’s the issue and not JB individually, the knives will be out a lot quicker if he does intend on running down his contract.

Hopefully it’s all sorted one way or another before the season starts. I’d much rather watch Kelly develop at LB this season, accepting he’ll possibly make a few mistakes, than have the potential JB will he/won’t he circus.

3 minutes ago, Dman_Red said:

As long as JB puts in 100% effort over the final year of his contract, he can’t be criticised really can he? He would have honoured what he’s said he’d do and therefore I don’t buy into the notion of him being disloyal, money obsessed etc. If he does indeed want to play at the next level but no bid is accepted before the end of this transfer window, with any luck he'll sign a deal that at least gives us something in the way of a release clause if clubs come in for him in January/Summer 2019.

If he does stay without signing a new contract the problem will come if/when his or the team’s performance dips. They’ll be plenty of calls of his head being elsewhere or lack of commitment if he pulls out (or even if he’s unfairly judged to have pulled out) of 50/50 challenges.

Even if it’s the team’s form that’s the issue and not JB individually, the knives will be out a lot quicker if he does intend on running down his contract.

Hopefully it’s all sorted one way or another before the season starts. I’d much rather watch Kelly develop at LB this season, accepting he’ll possibly make a few mistakes, than have the potential JB will he/won’t he circus.

You can play Bryan LM  and Kelly play LB.

2 minutes ago, Super said:

You can play Bryan LM  and Kelly play LB.

Agreed, this setup would be ideal. For some reason LJ seems reluctant to regularly play JB further forward. As I said on another thread I think we're missing out on the best of him by not playing him more offensively. The team that eventually does will most likely see the best of him and I'm really hoping that's us.

4 minutes ago, Dman_Red said:

Agreed, this setup would be ideal. For some reason LJ seems reluctant to regularly play JB further forward. As I said on another thread I think we're missing out on the best of him by not playing him more offensively. The team that eventually does will most likely see the best of him and I'm really hoping that's us.

Is it perhaps that it`s always in the back of the club`s mind that he will leave as soon as an acceptable bid is received so we`re trying to not make him indispensable? If it is that, I don`t agree with it as I believe he would shine at LM and his value would rocket.

Of course, it could be that Joe does actually want to play at LB and resists any move to change his position.

We`ll never know I guess.

3 hours ago, 29AR said:

English, naturally left-footed, versatile in position, 140 appearances in the Championship, at 24 the perfect age for a 4 year contract, available at a sensible price given his contract situation and he has stalled on a renewal showing he would seriously consider moving away... and yet there appears to be no strong interest.

Something I've bleated for a long time, but I genuinely think he is vastly overrated within BS3 and I think the lack of firm interest is testament to that. 

Personally , I think he's a very good player with bags of potential . Over rated? I don't think so but, I also don't think he's a Prem left back in waiting( maybe over rated there). In fact I think he has a way to go to be a top Championship FB. He may make it, but at the moment I would agree with comments above, he is better further forward. He's one of the best crossers of a ball we have and he is a goal threat.  I think Kelly's positioning is better , and a Kelly/Bryan left side would be interesting. 

4 hours ago, Monkeh said:

what would you think a fair fee is, me personally I think 7 million is a fair one fore a player of his age and ability 

I would say £5m with a large sell on clause is more like it. A year left and not really made one position his own. Reid had a year left but also had a 20 goal season, in which he was probably our best player even without the goals.  That is , I think we have a chance of getting £5m , I think he's probably worth £7m and more but not with that one year left. 
If it was me, I'd give him a good contract with the escape clause around 8-9m

4 hours ago, CHIPLEY RED said:

£7m is way off the mark, he's not worth half that and the fact no one is showing an interest in buying him shows he's maybe not as in demand as he thinks he might be.

Ok, so in your opinion who out there are available at around 3 million or less that you think are on par with Bryan? Value also comes with supply and demand attached. If he went for around 3 million I would expect many fans not to be very happy with it - unless he is digging his heels in to get out, which it looks like he certainly isn't.

Now I know every penny is precious but I won’t pretend it would be a massive amount. We spouted some silly numbers when it came to Joe Bryan. 7-10m is just fantasy. The top u23 LBs(Joe is about 25 now with no top flight experience) are no more than 10m(this summer). That is across the entire world. Joe’s value is probably no more than 4-4.5m(with a decent contract subtract 1 or so because last 12 months)in this market. That may even be a bit high. Worst case scenario here is we get an extra year of JB and we lose out on a few mil. I can live with that and wouldn’t even mind leaving a deal on the table for him. If not get what we can in January. 

2 hours ago, Juan Domingo Roldan said:

I personally think the bit highlighted in your post is what is the main issue.

Joe has been let to believe Prem clubs have shown interest but this pre-season that interest hasn't manifested itself yet. 

This could be a positive as if this interest doesn't become a reality for whatever reason then maybe Joe will sign a contract.

If there is no firm bids from Prem sides, a championship side doesnt match our valuation AND he refuses to sign a new contract then, personally, I would let him rotin the reserves until January. Yes, we would lose money in the short-tern but in the long-term it would send a message to both players and other clubs we won't be pushovers and to not expect us to bend over and take it. Similar to Levy and his hard line approach to selling players.

6 hours ago, 29AR said:

English, naturally left-footed, versatile in position, 140 appearances in the Championship, at 24 the perfect age for a 4 year contract, available at a sensible price given his contract situation and he has stalled on a renewal showing he would seriously consider moving away... and yet there appears to be no strong interest.

Something I've bleated for a long time, but I genuinely think he is vastly overrated within BS3 and I think the lack of firm interest is testament to that. 

Well said, completely agree.

If he was consistent he'd be in the Premier League now IMO.

7 hours ago, Monkeh said:

we got 10 million for reid with one year left on his contract, and Bryans been a much more consistent performer at this level then reid

He has. He is also versatile. Winger, wing back, full back. Also played inside in the midfield. 

JB is as two footed as you see these days as well and can play on the right  

Bobby is now a forward, but could not find a regular spot until that change. 

SL knows what it would take to move him, however if LJ thinks JB is captain material for next season he might be inclined to stay. 

if The offer is good enough

Joe has always been best as a left wing back but unfortunately hasn't been allowed to consistently play that role which I think is what he needs to invite more pl interest.

he has the talent to get forward but gets stuck in defensive duties which I don't think are his strongest point. its a bit of a stagnant job for him in a city shirt as he isn't allowed to play his best football. don't really know whats best for him other than play for another championship side that will allow him to excel

He is obviously premiership quality and is waiting for a premiership team to come in for him and by not signing is sending out a message that if they don't come in now then January he will be cheaper or next season a FREE which will attract lots of clubs and increase his wages somewhat, so he's in a win win situation doing what he is doing in waiting :tumbleweed:

5 hours ago, wood_red said:

Ok, so in your opinion who out there are available at around 3 million or less that you think are on par with Bryan? Value also comes with supply and demand attached. If he went for around 3 million I would expect many fans not to be very happy with it - unless he is digging his heels in to get out, which it looks like he certainly isn't.

TBH I don't know but the fact nobody seems interested in making a bid would suggest the football world outside BS3 don't think he's worth even a cheeky bid of say £3m which for a championship player running his contract down doesn't seem unreasonable.

Don't get me wrong I think he's a decent player and would not want to see him go but if he was £7m + calibre then why hasn't anybody made a bid?

Had LJ played Joe in a more forward role, as I think the vast majority of us believe he is at his best, i suspect he would have attracted far more interest.

Many of us have been saying for months that Joe is not your best left back. He is perennially caught out and is slow at back tracking. 

So why would LJ continue to play him at LB ? !!

16 hours ago, PHILINFRANCE said:

I think £7M or even upwards would have been very reasonable, perhaps even achievable, in the January window, following on from his general League performances in the first half of the season and, especially, his League Cup exploits and televised goal against Manchester United.

We shall probably never know, but it is possible that a promising and lucrative (for JB) January transfer opportunity was, in fact, rejected by the Club, resulting in a drop in his performance levels in the second half of the season. 

Nevertheless, I don't think too much should be read in to JB's failure to achieve a transfer or even sign a new contract.

JB portrays as an intelligent and honourable young man, and it is possible that he has set himself a high standard, i.e. not wishing to contemplate a sideways move, but only a move to a Premier League team with both a standard and style of football that suits his own style and ambitions. 

I suspect that, should JB not achieve a suitable move before the Premier League transfer window closes (first week of August) he may, indeed, sign a new, improved contract incorporating a sensible release fee.

I’m also wondering if indeed he had the opportunity to move in January but it wasn’t to the best club of his choosing or more likely we didn’t want to sell or the offer wasn’t enough. He either decided to wait or was forced to. This then played heavily on his mind and the rest is history. 

Pure speculation by me, he’s quite private and difficult to get info about in some respects. I’m wondering if it’s like Fontaine when he didn’t get his move to Southampton, he never recovered from that. 

20 hours ago, EnderMB said:

With a single year on his contract, we'd be lucky to get £2m for him.

He's obviously a solid Championship player, and he could make the move up to the Premier League if someone were willing to give him a chance, but he's the one with the leverage here, not us. A cheaper deal makes a move for him more attractive, and opens up more room for wages at his new club.

Best case scenario is that the club knows something we don't - he's verbally agreed to signing a new deal at City, and the delay is purely in negotiations between Ashton and Bryan's agent. For me, this is the likely scenario, as losing him on a free at the end of the season would effectively undo all the work we've put in to boosting our wage structure after the sale of Flint and Reid.

Worst case scenario is that Bryan and the club are in a stalemate, and neither side wants to blink first. This opens up the likely scenario where Bryan leaves for free in the summer. If this happens and the club hasn't prepared for it by replacing Bryan this season, it should result in Mark Ashton being relieved of his duties, unless we achieve promotion this season. It not only undermines confidence in the squad, due to a key player choosing to leave over achieving success with them, it undermines the fans confidence in the team, at a point in the season where we typically achieve a good level of success.

EnderMB - spot on!!

Forget all the rubbish about commitment and passion for the club (Joe has shown plenty of that). This is about a business deal in what is short career. The club want to get the best price for Joe and he wants to maximise his playing and earning potential. There will have been clubs enquiring about Joe and Mr Ashton will be valuing Joe quite highly. The window is open for a few more weeks and these interested Clubs will be waiting, knowing that BCFC cannot let Joe run into his last year contracted year without nailing him down to a fresh deal. The only way Joe would ever entertain signing a new deal is to have the protection of a buy-out clause. Joe holds all the aces here. Who will blink first??

On 18/07/2018 at 09:34, CodeRed said:

The sensible thing would be to offer him an improved deal but with an agreed realistic release fee. 

I hope Joe leaves to bigger and better things. City are looking pretty average now due to players leaving and players signed.

Maybe he will sign an improved deal with a buy out clause so he can go.

I can see a lot of frustration for Joe this season. 

I have a feeling the closer we get to the season the more likely it is Joe will do a Flint and sign on with clauses for release if a Prem club comes in. Making him Captain the other night may also have been a shrewd move and given him a taste of more responsibility within the squad. 

The reason LJ plays him at LB is that strength and tackling are his strong points. Yes he can cross well but unlike many on here I seriously doubt his abilities playing wide against good full backs in the Championship and in the Premier League he probably would just not cut it.

His ability to turn sharply on his left side can often get him out of trouble against a wide attacker but is less useful against strong savvy defenders. IMO if he is to step up a level it’s as a defender and I’m sure that’s what all the stats people tell LJ.

Archived