Welcome to One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums

Welcome to One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums by signing in or creating an account.

• Start new topics and reply to others
  • Full access to all forums (not all viewable as guest)
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.
  • Support OTIB with a premium membership

I'm after retro City shirts if anyone has any lying around - XL or XXL

This is going to be a big ask but I'm looking for some retro shirts from the following years: 

1986-88 Home shirt

1992-93 home

1993-94 home and away

1995-1996 away purple

1996-1997 home (lotto/sanderson)

2000-2001 home

I understand people probably ask these sort of things all the time, just seeing if anyone knows the best place to get them

Edited by Eastside Moonwalker
On 20/07/2018 at 14:50, Eastside Moonwalker said:

This is going to be a big ask but I'm looking for some retro shirts from the following years: 

1986-88 Home shirt

1992-93 home

1993-94 home and away

1995-1996 away purple

1996-1997 home (lotto/sanderson)

2000-2001 home

I understand people probably ask these sort of things all the time, just seeing if anyone knows the best place to get them

That's quite a difference in shirts you're seeking there. I collect them so I'm always watching the market. My 2p's worth...

The '86 Hirerite home shirt is rare, and commands good premiums, you'll need circa £100+ for one. I've never seen one in anything above a size L though.

'92- 93 Thorn Security with black crackle effect back ground is quite rare. £75+ for one of these, but I've never seen them in sizes above a L.

'93-94 Dry Blackthorn Cider home & away version is more common, than the '92-93, but also carries a £75+ premium. Seen a few XL aways, but never any homes.

'95-96 Purple and Lime is very very rare. I've not seen one of these come up for many years. All the P&L shirts that come up tend to be 95-96 Dry blackthorn cider or 92-93 Thorn Security.

96-97 home - you shouldn't struggle here. Check out the classic football shirt stores, they do come up quite often, but the home is rarer than the away.

00-01 home - quite a rare one this due to the Scotty Murray era collectibility. I've not seen one of these come up for a while.

HTH

• Like 1
17 hours ago, kmpowell said:

That's quite a difference in shirts you're seeking there. I collect them so I'm always watching the market. My 2p's worth...

The '86 Hirerite home shirt is rare, and commands good premiums, you'll need circa £100+ for one. I've never seen one in anything above a size L though.

'92- 93 Thorn Security with black crackle effect back ground is quite rare. £75+ for one of these, but I've never seen them in sizes above a L.

'93-94 Dry Blackthorn Cider home & away version is more common, than the '92-93, but also carries a £75+ premium. Seen a few XL aways, but never any homes.

'95-96 Purple and Lime is very very rare. I've not seen one of these come up for many years. All the P&L shirts that come up tend to be 95-96 Dry blackthorn cider or 92-93 Thorn Security.

96-97 home - you shouldn't struggle here. Check out the classic football shirt stores, they do come up quite often, but the home is rarer than the away.

00-01 home - quite a rare one this due to the Scotty Murray era collectibility. I've not seen one of these come up for a while.

HTH

Cheers for that mate, you went into a lot of detail, what websites are the best for it? I've seen a few shirts from a guy in Poland via eBay but seems a bit expensive to pay the postage, would prefer if there were some decent Uk stores, I only know of classic football shirts and TOFFS

46 minutes ago, Eastside Moonwalker said:

Cheers for that mate, you went into a lot of detail, what websites are the best for it? I've seen a few shirts from a guy in Poland via eBay but seems a bit expensive to pay the postage, would prefer if there were some decent Uk stores, I only know of classic football shirts and TOFFS

No worries. There's only a handful of UK websites TBH (classicfootballshirts and vintagefootbalshirts), and their stock tends to hang around as it's not that desirable. Your best bet is to watch eBay. Set up various alerts for what you're looking for then play the eBay game. Like I said though, the prices you will pay for the rare shirts are rising every year, so if you see one my advice is to snap it up else you will be waiting a long time for another. As a rule I would say that 70-80% of the people who own the shirts don't realise their value in today's market, so they will simply whack them on eBay to see what happens. This means that sometimes you can get an absolute bargain, but if there are collectors (like myself) out there watching, the bidding will go mad for them.

A lot of it is also timing and buying when there's little interest. I tend too buy if we're in a bad spell or when there's very little going on with the club, because the hype isn't there. Just look at the classic England shirts on CFS during the World Cup this year, prices went mental (£250+ for shirts). The same went for city shirts in 2014 when we won the double, prices were sky high as nostalgia kicked in.

I own most of the shirts you're after (albeit in size M or L) and I know what they're worth to me, but another thing to consider is to some people they will be worth less as there is less meaningful sentiment to them i.e. I first started watching city in 88/89, so shirts of that era hold very special memories for me, as I was an impressionable lad watching my heroes play in those kits. I recently bought Andy Cole's actual first playing shirt, signed by the man himself. To me it's gold dust because I idolised him and he was the pivotal person in my years first following city, but to some others they would think I was mental paying what I did for the shirt because they may have been too young to remember him or too old to have the sentimental attachment as they see the 70's 80's as more important to them.

It's all part of the fun and the game. Good luck, you might find yourself bidding against me!! :)

Edited by kmpowell