IGNORED

the other lot have an open day,why don't we have one anymore?

I think the open day in its old form was a bit dated and probably wouldn’t attract that many people, especially new supporters.

Might get more casual interest (not necessarily City supporters) in an event that combined the Football, Rugby and Basketball. Slam dunk competitions and stuff as well as Football and Rugby events. That might be better for casual fans and kids.

21 minutes ago, Never to the dark side said:

Don't think we have had one for a few years,

how are we supposed to attract new fans to Bristol City?

Why would a "new fan" choose to go to an open day when they haven't chosen to go to an actual game for however many years of their life?

In all seriousness I think we should have one.

The ground has changed significantly and I think many will be interested to see the corporate areas, new changing rooms etc.

Sounds like a job for our fans liaison if he can find the time in his busy schedule ! :juggle:

Not sure attracting new fans had much to do with it, but always lots of children there attending with parents, so meeting the players and seeing behind the scenes no doubt helped to cement their interest in the club.

No idea why it was stopped, it was always very well attended.

Perhaps the open day became too popular - I remember lots of disappointed children (and parents) being refused permission to enter the Hirerite building to meet the players by an officious steward because it was apparently too crowded.

59 minutes ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

Not sure attracting new fans had much to do with it, but always lots of children there attending with parents, so meeting the players and seeing behind the scenes no doubt helped to cement their interest in the club.

It was always well attended for sure. The last I remember was when Ivan Sproule signed and my lad and I had brief chat with him. Must have been about 10 years ago.

Not sure if there have been other open days since

24 minutes ago, Robbored said:

It was always well attended for sure. The last I remember was when Ivan Sproule signed and my lad and I had brief chat with him. Must have been about 10 years ago.

Not sure if there have been other open days since

Open days when both Millen and Coppell were managers - 2010 and11? I had a photo with both.

Also when they had the huge squad/fans photo with yellow shirts - in the Atyeo - if that wasn't one of those seasons.

2 hours ago, Never to the dark side said:

Don't think we have had one for a few years,

how are we supposed to attract new fans to Bristol City?

Re: the other lot.

I think you are confusing an open day with a scout jamboree.

1 hour ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

The managers' asked for it to be stopped when they  realised that every manager that had his picture taken with you left shortly after! :)

2 minutes ago, downendcity said:

The managers' asked for it to be stopped when they  that every manager that had his picture taken with you left shortly after! :)

With no open day I had to seek SO'D out to make damn sure I had a photo taken with him!

I remember when Frankie Howerd hinted that he might support Bristol City when he moved to the West Country, but he was in the closet. Matt Lucas, I think, is an Arsenal fan and Oscar Wilde used to watch Reading when he was on day release...oh, sorry, slightly misread the title.

3 minutes ago, formerly known as ivan said:

I preferred the open training session and then the kids meeting the players after for a quick photo and autograph over the open day

OK, let's have one at AG then, not Marbella.

When we get the new arena/indoor venue I imagine they will be able to close the the whole area of and do some pretty Impressive events. A Bristol city festival, old and new players, a match,food, candy floss, face painting, coaching... 

I just wonder if city could make a killing, all the bars, huge cordoned area - thinking music festival type events...

1 hour ago, Fiale said:

When we get the new arena/indoor venue I imagine they will be able to close the the whole area of and do some pretty Impressive events. A Bristol city festival, old and new players, a match,food, candy floss, face painting, coaching... 

I just wonder if city could make a killing, all the bars, huge cordoned area - thinking music festival type events...

Whack some caravans in the car park with a few in stadium upmarket pitchside yurts. Combine them with the above and a wonderful money spinning mini-break could become a fixture on everyone's summer calendar. :ermm:

A not to be missed annual Friday to Sunday Ashton Gate Festival Experience. 

2 hours ago, WhistleHappy said:

Whack some caravans in the car park with a few in stadium upmarket pitchside yurts. Combine them with the above and a wonderful money spinning mini-break could become a fixture on everyone's summer calendar. :ermm:

A not to be missed annual Friday to Sunday Ashton Gate Festival Experience. 

They`d also have to provide some authentic Glastonbury style bogs - what`s not to like, especially in this hot weather.

8 hours ago, handsofclay said:

I remember when Frankie Howerd hinted that he might support Bristol City when he moved to the West Country, but he was in the closet. Matt Lucas, I think, is an Arsenal fan and Oscar Wilde used to watch Reading when he was on day release...oh, sorry, slightly misread the title.

Think you're thinking of an outing

9 hours ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

OK, let's have one at AG then, not Marbella.

@Neo which is indeed is where our SLO is, if you look at the Bailey Wright interview he can clearly be seen liaising with a handful of fans. At least it certainly looks like him.

Regarding the open day, I think it became too popular. As Nogbad says many were turned away or left frustrated, and now there is so much more to see it would have to be ticketed. Shame really as the behind the scenes areas are really worth seeing.

54 minutes ago, RedM said:

@Neo which is indeed is where our SLO is, if you look at the Bailey Wright interview he can clearly be seen liaising with a handful of fans. At least it certainly looks like him.

Regarding the open day, I think it became too popular. As Nogbad says many were turned away or left frustrated, and now there is so much more to see it would have to be ticketed. Shame really as the behind the scenes areas are really worth seeing.

I will take your word for it. Like 99.9% of fans I could not pick him out in a line up of 2 people but I’m sure that will change over the years as he settles into his role.

12 hours ago, sglosbcfc said:

The club decided to do open training sessions instead. I took my lads along last year. You watched the session, then got autographs and photos and then there was an under 23 fixture you could stay for.

Does anyone know if they are doing one of those this year????

Archived