IGNORED

Mo Eisa - NOW OFFICIALLY SIGNED (merged)

GrahamC

5 hours ago, Davefevs said:

Bob, usually with these types of players there will be comments like he’s raw, plays a bit spontaneously etc.  

But (without getting carried away - but I am optimistic) I see a more refined player than that.  Kodjia got labelled by LJ as having the footballing brain of a 19 year old because he didn’t come through the traditional French system..  I thought that was lazy, because I saw Kodjia as a player of high-level movement, just no-one else on his wavelength (except Reid sporadically, Elliot Bennett and Tomlin).

If I compare to Matty Taylor, who went from non-league to Champ, I saw a player who snatched at chances, who on a good day, went in, on a bad day, airshots, etc.  I’ve always said that Taylor scores in streaks....yet to gave that streak for us.

Eisa, who I’ve not seen outside of C5/YouTube looks a bit different.  He’s a sidefoot finisher.  Someone above said Andy Cole.  Again, without trying to compare him to AC, he has that cool finishing....or appears to.  That composure always has a chance at any level...just requires service.

I am excited by what I see, but proof will be watching him live.  Diedhiou’s 6 game ban is just what a new striker needs, although Diedhiou makes a good foil for any striker.

I think this is a very sensible signing.

Totally agree with all this Dave

I Like the signs and as you say a very sensible signing

I just have to remind myself and have been saying the jump from Isthmian to Championship is massive and fair play to Eisa to achieve that in 15 months is a great achievement

If he comes off in Championship he’s going to be worth a lot based on his crazy jumps up and delivery at each level , alone

And as I’ve said , one hell of a story

And there would also be a lot of embarrassed Conference and League Sides ,/ scouts , particularly in and around London !!

Even with time , if he doesn’t end up quite cutting at Champ level , I’d suggest we’d get a fair chunk of our outlay back if we moved him on in the future

Ive openly said , like you , I know or have seen little of him but have a good gut feeling about this one

I really hope Eisa is a pearl amongst swine as we've sure had our fair share of the latter recently.

This forum has its fair share of those who've never countenanced the importance of Popperian Falsifiability, those who air large on minor success and willfully ignore previous prouncements when things turn out far from their forecast.

Few have noted Eisa comes with City's ubiquitous "...he can become even better with the help of our coaching infrastructure," a factor quickly forgotten when players are immediately sent on development loan, later quietly released or spectacularly improve once offloaded. The non-falsifists will proclaim Kodjia (who was raw talent such we were unable to coach him the basics of running the line and staying onside,) or Bolassie (who left little more than a clown until Salako personally taught him how to become a brilliant winger.) Of the rest it'll be the usual case of:"he wasn't given a chance...he didn't fit in.." With Eisa there's the added pressure of him not being one for the future; at 24 he's not here to be developed.

I'm old and curmudgeonly and unable to accept that £1.5m ( in reality double that as liability) doesn't guarantee quality beyond the norm. Of recent signings we've demonstrated that can be the price for ****. So go on Mo and prove you're worth every penny, but prove it you'll have to.

6 hours ago, JoeAman08 said:

Well it is a forum and many post what they see. I highly doubt anyone has much fact. Here is a crazy idea though, why don’t you give some input? What did you see in the friendlies? Who has impressed you? Who do you think is in for a big season? Instead of being a miserable *** why don’t you contribute? Because honestly replying without bringing anything else to the argument is irritating

Here’s why I haven’t commented on the friendlies....I haven’t seen any! Therefore I won’t be commenting on them or the players or the system. However I will say I was very pleased Marlon signed on for another three years as I think he is a key player, although, of course he won’t be in your team!

49 minutes ago, Roger Red Hat said:

Here’s why I haven’t commented on the friendlies....I haven’t seen any! Therefore I won’t be commenting on them or the players or the system. However I will say I was very pleased Marlon signed on for another three years as I think he is a key player, although, of course he won’t be in your team!

I am pleased as well about Marlon. It also is not my team but how I reckon we do line up. There will be good players that are dropped to the bench no matter what.

Looks like 442 to me so Pack, Walsh, Smith and Brownhill have to pick two. O’Dowda, Watkins, Adelakun, Paterson, and Eliasson have to pick 2. Fam, Djuric, Eisa, Weimann and Taylor have to pick 2. 

433 means all 3 of Smith, Brownhill and Pack can play. Though it means only 3 of Pato, Watkins, Weimann, Djuric, Eisa, Fam, COD, Eliasson, Adelakun and Taylor can play. 

10 minutes ago, JoeAman08 said:

I am pleased as well about Marlon. It also is not my team but how I reckon we do line up. There will be good players that are dropped to the bench no matter what.

Looks like 442 to me so Pack, Walsh, Smith and Brownhill have to pick two. O’Dowda, Watkins, Adelakun, Paterson, and Eliasson have to pick 2. Fam, Djuric, Eisa, Weimann and Taylor have to pick 2. 

433 means all 3 of Smith, Brownhill and Pack can play. Though it means only 3 of Pato, Watkins, Weimann, Djuric, Eisa, Fam, COD, Eliasson, Adelakun and Taylor can play. 

Not necessarily, a 4-3-3 can easily be a 4-2-3-1 in and out of possession and a 4-4-2 in certain situations. Formations are barely ever rigid.

I think we'll line up very similarly to last season, with one forward (probably Weimann) sitting deeper. Pack and Smith I believe will be our starting midfielders and they'll sit deeper than last season with wide players (I think we'll start with O'Dowda and Watkins) pushing further forward than previously.

8 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

Not necessarily, a 4-3-3 can easily be a 4-2-3-1 in and out of possession and a 4-4-2 in certain situations. Formations are barely ever rigid.

I think we'll line up very similarly to last season, with one forward (probably Weimann) sitting deeper. Pack and Smith I believe will be our starting midfielders and they'll sit deeper than last season with wide players (I think we'll start with O'Dowda and Watkins) pushing further forward than previously.

Could be but then what of Brownhill? This is all I am pointing out that a very capable player will be sat on the bench. In my opinion Brownhill, O’Dowda and Fam are pretty much undroppable for me. Think all will have big seasons. 

1 minute ago, JoeAman08 said:

Could be but then what of Brownhill? This is all I am pointing out that a very capable player will be sat on the bench. In my opinion Brownhill, O’Dowda and Fam are pretty much undroppable for me. Think all will have big seasons. 

We've got to a point where we now have a good squad. That means there will always be a few capable players who can't get in the starting XI.

1 minute ago, JamesBCFC said:

We've got to a point where we now have a good squad. That means there will always be a few capable players who can't get in the starting XI.

I think though we have perhaps learnt the lesson of last season, don’t run your players into the ground, and our recruitment this season has prepared for this. I think we are going to see a lot more push hard, rest and rotate.

3 minutes ago, JamesBCFC said:

No I get that. Was originally a comment about how Pack wasn’t in the team I reckon we would use come start of the season. Then he signed a new deal. For me doesn’t make him a starter but a great option. Think we will make changes on a per game basis anyway as 46 too many for most. But for first game just feel Brownhill and Smith start with COD and Watkins wings

11 minutes ago, JoeAman08 said:

I don't know who he'll pick, centre midfield is a bit of a guess. I don't think any of those are undroppable.

Our formation will not be a rigid 4-4-2 though.

9 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

I don't know who he'll pick, centre midfield is a bit of a guess. I don't think any of those are undroppable.

Our formation will not be a rigid 4-4-2 though.

I don’t expect any formation to be ridgid. Just how it will look when they are standing there ready to KO. It hasn’t been ridgid in preseason either with players picking up multiple positions in possesion. Imagine out of possesion will look more 4231 with perhaps Fam being a bit behind to let Weimann start the press in the longer run. 

Maybe no one is undroppable but those are close for me. I’d say our 3 most consistent players. Also expecting very big seasons from O’Dowda and Brownhill. 

One thing we will have is more strength in depth with the versatility to change systems as and when. Glad to see we’ve learned from previous seasons by getting proven championship players in with a couple of up and coming players as well. Definitly seems more LJ signings. We’ve quite a few attacking midfielder/wide men now that can rotate , something we lacked last season. 

New GK

Hunt                Webster               Baker               Bryan/Kelly

Pack

Adelakun             Brownhill                O'Dowda

Paterson

Eisa

I'd like to see something like this for the Forest game.

He definitely looks as though he can finish, something that is very hard to teach a footballer - someone taught Wayne Allison but that's the only example I can think of in my short memory.

Watch the compilation of Agard's career goals and see the contrast with Eisa.

4 hours ago, JoeAman08 said:

We were fine last season without Brownhill or O'dowda in the side most of the time in November/December.

1 minute ago, J D said:

We were fine last season without Brownhill or O'dowda in the side most of the time in November/December.

O’Dowda was out but don’t recall Brownhill? Think people forget how good Brownhill is centrally because he has been forced out wide due to other injuries. It will be like a new signing imo

1 minute ago, JoeAman08 said:

O’Dowda was out but don’t recall Brownhill? Think people forget how good Brownhill is centrally because he has been forced out wide due to other injuries. It will be like a new signing imo

Good point: forgot he played on the right wing. 

Though i don't recall him doing anything spectacular in central midfield either. We'll see though I suppose.

2 hours ago, smokey live said:

Thanks for posting

Interesting little video and some very good drills in there - impressed by whoever was doing the drills (And Eisa )

Great example of good ‘on one’ coaching and nice that they’ve shown examples of its fruition

Have to say much better that’s the one the Club put out and far more demonastrive of good coaching and drills (Tbf I’m sure and I certainly hope we do similar) 

Well impressed with that and although I’ve been involved in and out of coaching for 30 yrs found their work really interesting  

23 minutes ago, J D said:

Good point: forgot he played on the right wing. 

Though i don't recall him doing anything spectacular in central midfield either. We'll see though I suppose.

Think he had notched 3-4 goals by October in that position but could be mistaken. He can receive a ball and drive us forward from central positions. I am a big fan but we will see 

16 hours ago, RedM said:

I think though we have perhaps learnt the lesson of last season, don’t run your players into the ground, and our recruitment this season has prepared for this. I think we are going to see a lot more push hard, rest and rotate.

Totally agree. We need to all stop thinking “best eleven” and start thinking more like “best 18”. 

The eleven will be tweaked / rotated much more this season. There might be those odd players that play 90% plus, but more will play, play, rest, play, play, rest. 

Players with slight niggles can be rested, but will need to be prepared to have to work hard to get back in. 

3 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Totally agree. We need to all stop thinking “best eleven” and start thinking more like “best 18”. 

The eleven will be tweaked / rotated much more this season. There might be those odd players that play 90% plus, but more will play, play, rest, play, play, rest. 

Players with slight niggles can be rested, but will need to be prepared to have to work hard to get back in. 

Exactly. Especially with wide players can often be inconsistent.

We should think of our wide players and attackers as a bit like a bowling attack. All of them have different strengths and attributes to be used against different defences. The same way you’d utilise a spinner or a fast bowler depending on the batsman.

I think we have to get away from the mindset about players being dropped if they don’t feature in the next match after they have played. As mentioned above we have to play to our strengths, don’t concentrate fully on the opposition as we sometimes have done ( especially at home) but to obviously be aware of them and play the best team against them, even if it means making a couple of changes. 

If this is done well the players should be able to slot into the team seamlessly, none of the tinkering and unsettling should be evident. I think looking at what we have done wrong is just as important as realising what we have done right over the past couple of years. It very much looks like we have really tried to work on this by the players we have brought in. 

For me there is one more key position to fill and it will be very interesting and will give the best indicator yet of how we are intending to go forward.

39 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

34 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

Exactly. Especially with wide players can often be inconsistent.

We should think of our wide players and attackers as a bit like a bowling attack. All of them have different strengths and attributes to be used against different defences. The same way you’d utilise a spinner or a fast bowler depending on the batsman.

Agree with these posts gents , and in Championship you have little chance running with 13/14 players

but have a nagging concern that our biggest problems have been when Lee has had a number of ‘options’ and loves to tweak and fiddle

I hope he doesn’t change continually 

Archived