IGNORED

Bristol Bears Badge West Stand

Kid in the Riot

Was a bit pissed at the Future Islands gig on Friday night so my memory might be playing tricks on me but think I saw a massive floor to ceiling sized Bristol Bears new badge painted on the wall in the corner of the South Stand and West Stand? 

Was showing a West Ham mate 'our' stadium and it kinda ruined things!!

10 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

Was a bit pissed at the Future Islands gig on Friday night so my memory might be playing tricks on me but think I saw a massive floor to ceiling sized Bristol Bears new badge painted on the wall in the corner of the South Stand and West Stand? 

They've made this out stand the 'bear pit', which will be a club house sort of thing for the rugby, much like we have the big mural in the dolman concourse

2 hours ago, JBFC II said:

They've made this out stand the 'bear pit', which will be a club house sort of thing for the rugby, much like we have the big mural in the dolman concourse

Are the toilets going to be open-air with bad graffiti and stale weed for authenticity?

10 hours ago, Kid in the Riot said:

there was always going to be bristol rugby in the west stand, it was mentioned on here before it reopened, 

It's got to go somewhere, we've got the dolman and the south stand,

11 hours ago, Kid in the Riot said:

With respect your West Ham mate should be well familiar with the multi use stadium thing. I did the West Ham tour a couple of moths ago, the day after they had a rugby match there, Saricens v Wasps or something like that. A lot of the West Ham stuff was covered up, but there was a lot on show too. We do similar at Ashton Gate, eg the pictures in the tunnel, dressing rooms etc are swopped whether we are playing rugby or football but obviously not everything can be covered or swopped, but I don’t think it should be either. Some advertising gets changed, some is left.

Out of interest it takes 3 solid weeks to change West Ham’s  stadium from football use to athletics use. All branding has to be removed or covered up too. At least we don’t have that level of swop to be concerned about!

6 hours ago, Monkeh said:

there was always going to be bristol rugby in the west stand, it was mentioned on here before it reopened, 

It's got to go somewhere, we've got the dolman and the south stand,

We used to have the whole stadium.the last time I walked though the dolman all there was was 100 pictures of manly second rated sportsman and God knows who the women are

5 hours ago, RedM said:

With respect your West Ham mate should be well familiar with the multi use stadium thing. I did the West Ham tour a couple of moths ago, the day after they had a rugby match there, Saricens v Wasps or something like that. A lot of the West Ham stuff was covered up, but there was a lot on show too. We do similar at Ashton Gate, eg the pictures in the tunnel, dressing rooms etc are swopped whether we are playing rugby or football but obviously not everything can be covered or swopped, but I don’t think it should be either. Some advertising gets changed, some is left.

Out of interest it takes 3 solid weeks to change West Ham’s  stadium from football use to athletics use. All branding has to be removed or covered up too. At least we don’t have that level of swop to be concerned about!

Oh yes, well aware. We were bemoaning all of this in the pub beforehand! He's pretty much stopped going to West Ham since their move away from the Boleyn and won't be renewing his ST this season for the first time in many years. Sad.

1 minute ago, Kid in the Riot said:

Oh yes, well aware. We were bemoaning all of this in the pub beforehand! He's pretty much stopped going to West Ham since their move away from the Boleyn and won't be renewing his ST this season for the first time in many years. Sad.

Totally understand. Beautiful stadium and facilities but not for the ‘proper’ West Ham fan I wouldn’t imagine. I only went once to their old ground, night match many years ago ( with Bristol City) and it was was one of the most intimidating grounds I’ve been too, and I’ve been to a few back in the day. I did the tour more to see the stadium, didn’t get there for the olympics or anything else but like seeing places like this. 

I think it’s quite nicely done. Looks professional. Doesn’t look a mess. I’ve got no problem with having rugby recognised in the stadium. Can’t be a bad thing surely that the stadium is seen on tv etc for the Premiership and American audiences. You never know in future if we try to get players from the US they might actually have heard the name Bristol.

1 hour ago, View from the Dolman said:

Yeah the Dolman Exhibition Hall was a real City-fest with pictures of Ronan Keating and Elton John on display.

At least I knew who they were .all I am saying is the dolman concourse is nothing special for city fans to relate to.Now the Liverpool flash in the south stand is something to behold chirping on about a game we won about 23years ago it makes us look tinpot

The original stadium plans included a museum for football and rugby which has now been shelved. There must be a whole plethora of city related paraphernalia floating around including, I believe, items donated by fans.

Why don't the club/BS do something similar to the above in the south stand/dolman 'curve' surrounding the mural, maybe even into the Dolman concourse?

6 hours ago, Mtimmy11 said:

We used to have the whole stadium.the last time I walked though the dolman all there was was 100 pictures of manly second rated sportsman and God knows who the women are

Amongst those “second rate sportsman” are City club legends like Tinnion, former players who have gone on to win the Champions League (Andy Cole), England’s greatest ever wicketkeeper (Jack Russell) and a number of Olympic gold medalists - both men and women. Remarkably enough women can also manage to be good at sport too...ever heard of Serena Williams?

It’s 2018, do try to keep up.

Still at least you were impressed with their “manly” physique, that’s something I suppose.

I don't think there's a problem with it at all. Ultimately, they play here too and it isn't like they've painted the whole stadium navy blue. Only thing that concerns me with the rugby is the disproportionate amount of space they have in the club shop; especially on matchdays.

It’s a shared stadium at the end of the day, so it’s only right the ‘other’ club that uses the stadium is represented. 

I don’t follow rugby at all, and have no interest at all in it. But it doesn’t upset me to see the rugby club’s logo at the stadium. 

• Admin
15 hours ago, ChippenhamRed said:

Amongst those “second rate sportsman” are City club legends like Tinnion, former players who have gone on to win the Champions League (Andy Cole), England’s greatest ever wicketkeeper (Jack Russell) and a number of Olympic gold medalists - both men and women. Remarkably enough women can also manage to be good at sport too...ever heard of Serena Williams?

It’s 2018, do try to keep up.

Still at least you were impressed with their “manly” physique, that’s something I suppose.

Taking the Bristol City and Rugby players aside there are plenty on that list that have absolutely no connection to the place at all, and is more than a bit random to appear in the concourse at Ashton Gate

• Admin
6 minutes ago, BRISTOL86 said:

It’s a shared stadium at the end of the day, so it’s only right the ‘other’ club that uses the stadium is represented. 

I don’t follow rugby at all, and have no interest at all in it. But it doesn’t upset me to see the rugby club’s logo at the stadium. 

Agree, it is no longer solely the home of Bristol City FC, so our rugby friends should have an area dedicated to them

I do like the massive timeline of City players in the South Stand, wonder if there will be anything to recognise us beating Man Utd last season?

The list of names on the South Stand corner is a bit odd, and nothing of note in the Dolman area

7 minutes ago, phantom said:

Taking the Bristol City and Rugby players aside there are plenty on that list that have absolutely no connection to the place at all, and is more than a bit random to appear in the concourse at Ashton Gate

It's meant to be recognition of sportspeople connected to Bristol.......i.e. Bristol Sport

2 hours ago, Newquay-Red said:

I don't think there's a problem with it at all. Ultimately, they play here too and it isn't like they've painted the whole stadium navy blue. Only thing that concerns me with the rugby is the disproportionate amount of space they have in the club shop; especially on matchdays.

The shop is usually set out depending who are playing. When City are playing our stuff is to the front of the shop or more prominent and the other sports (mainly rugby) moved further back. And vice-versa when the rugby are playing.

I don’t go in there every matchday but I think maybe what you have experienced is down to the limitations of the shop not the stock. I personally don’t think the shop is fit for purpose and should have expended upstairs once the museum was shelved. I don’t think there is any scope to improve now until the Arena/ indoor complex is built on the Wickes site when I’m sure it will be located over there with space for everybody. 

On 23/07/2018 at 09:26, RedM said:

I think it’s quite nicely done. Looks professional. Doesn’t look a mess. I’ve got no problem with having rugby recognised in the stadium. Can’t be a bad thing surely that the stadium is seen on tv etc for the Premiership and American audiences. You never know in future if we try to get players from the US they might actually have heard the name Bristol.

Premier League Rugby is covered live now by NBC as well as the footy. So I expect them to be on mainstream TV a whole hell of a lot more than us in the USA.

On 22/07/2018 at 15:12, Kid in the Riot said:

AC and Inter have managed for quite some time. We coulda had the Bristol Rovers area next to the Bear Pit at AG if they had not have Knicked the Bears Ground...Wonder what Pit we could call that? :laugh:!

Archived