IGNORED

Mesut Ozil

Undy English

Surprised there wasn't a thread on this yet, so thought I'd start one.

For those unaware, Ozil has retired from international duty today, citing 'racism' as a cause: he no longer feels he can wear the shirt because he's 'an immigrant' when he loses, but 'a German' when he wins.

Again, for those unaware, Ozil is a Turk and holds dual citizenship, meaning he maintains voting rights in Turkey during General Elections. He was recently pictured with Turkish President Erdogan in a photo that caused a lot of controversy, hence all the spot light this incident is getting.

This particular case raises lots of interesting and complex questions on nationality within football and whether fans/media are indeed 'racist' when it comes to foreign-born of mixed race players. That said, should players have a bit more common sense i.e. sing the national anthem of the county they're representing and avoid photos and politics dabbling with foreign heads of state with dodgy human rights records? 

20 minutes ago, Undy English said:

Surprised there wasn't a thread on this yet, so thought I'd start one.

For those unaware, Ozil has retired from international duty today, citing 'racism' as a cause: he no longer feels he can wear the shirt because he's 'an immigrant' when he loses, but 'a German' when he wins.

Again, for those unaware, Ozil is a Turk and holds dual citizenship, meaning he maintains voting rights in Turkey during General Elections. He was recently pictured with Turkish President Erdogan in a photo that caused a lot of controversy, hence all the spot light this incident is getting.

This particular case raises lots of interesting and complex questions on nationality within football and whether fans/media are indeed 'racist' when it comes to foreign-born of mixed race players. That said, should players have a bit more common sense i.e. sing the national anthem of the county they're representing and avoid photos and politics dabbling with foreign heads of state with dodgy human rights records? 

I respect what ozil has done in terms of retiring from international football but I also agree with the Bryan that he's been dog shit for years,

I don't know if that makes me a raciest or not 

He has to be one of (if not the) most frustrating players to watch.

You never know, the new manager at Arsenal may give him a kick up the arse and turn him into a consistent player. Rather than one who just turns up occasionally with some of the most sublime skill and passing we're likely to witness in English football. When he signed, we were supposed to be seeing someone who could rival David Silva for the best player in that role in the Premier League, but DS has blown him out the water every year in my opinion.

The whole German vs immigrant tag, very harsh on him. He's represented Germany for many years now and (bar this year) they've been a dominant force with World Football with him in the side. You dont play that many games for your country without having something about you. 92 caps according to wikipedia, and he's not even 30. That being said, he's played with some phenomenal German players who have grown together over the last decade. 

Mind you, Andy Murray is Scottish when he loses but British when he wins. 

23 minutes ago, AshtonPark said:

Ozil isn’t a Turk, he was born in Germany therefore he is German. He isn’t Turkish, his family is from Turkey he isn’t. 

Thanks for clearing that up. 

Do you want to let Mezit Ozil know the outcome of your Genealogists report..?!

5 hours ago, AshtonPark said:

Ozil isn’t a Turk, he was born in Germany therefore he is German. He isn’t Turkish, his family is from Turkey he isn’t. 

It's quite funny really I have two brother in laws both were born in England. One claims to be Welsh the other a New Zealander :dunno:

16 hours ago, Monkeh said:

I respect what ozil has done in terms of retiring from international football but I also agree with the Bryan that he's been dog shit for years,

I don't know if that makes me a raciest or not 

Is that the Ozil who was ‘dog shit’ when they won the World Cup ?

14 hours ago, The Batman said:

He has to be one of (if not the) most frustrating players to watch.

You never know, the new manager at Arsenal may give him a kick up the arse and turn him into a consistent player. Rather than one who just turns up occasionally with some of the most sublime skill and passing we're likely to witness in English football. When he signed, we were supposed to be seeing someone who could rival David Silva for the best player in that role in the Premier League, but DS has blown him out the water every year in my opinion.

The whole German vs immigrant tag, very harsh on him. He's represented Germany for many years now and (bar this year) they've been a dominant force with World Football with him in the side. You dont play that many games for your country without having something about you. 92 caps according to wikipedia, and he's not even 30. That being said, he's played with some phenomenal German players who have grown together over the last decade. 

Mind you, Andy Murray is Scottish when he loses but British when he wins. 

The difference is Andy Murray's a nause...........

5 hours ago, AshtonPark said:

sarcasm is the lowest form of wit, it seems to be the only thing you can do on posts on this forum.   

The only people who actually believe it’s the lowest form of wit are those who are incapable of it. 

But if you don’t like my posting style, feel free to block me. 

7 minutes ago, Bar BS3 said:

The only people who actually believe it’s the lowest form of wit are those who are incapable of it. 

I gotta stand by Bar here, Sarcasm and especially Dark sarcasm should be taught in schools. 

15 minutes ago, Bar BS3 said:

Ozil has said there are claims of racism, as one minute he is German the next when he loses he is an immigrant, which is isn’t.

The poster made a post saying he is Turkish, ozil doesn’t class himself as Turkish he classes himself as German. Hence the racism claims etc. 

Can’t you see why i posted it? 

I fail to see how a sarcastic reply to something like this is funny?

2 minutes ago, AshtonPark said:

Ozil has said there are claims of racism, as one minute he is German the next when he loses he is an immigrant, which is isn’t.

The poster made a post saying he is Turkish, ozil doesn’t class himself as Turkish he classes himself as German. Hence the racism claims etc. 

Can’t you see why i posted it? 

I fail to see how a sarcastic reply to something like this is funny?

Ozil clearly does embrace his dual nationality, so the Turkish aspect can’t be ignored. 

I agree that he’s being made a scapegoat for Germany’s failure in this World Cup and I agree with him that he shouldn’t be hailed as a German legend when they succeed but be ridiculed as a Turk when they fail. 

Maybe he should have thicker skin about the whole issue, but I can see his discontent over it all. 

Good for him for taking a stand. He had become a proper scapegoat for the complete embarrassment that Germany had been at the WC. No doubt can be inconsistent but still the type of player that would fit on any team in the world. Erdogan might be an evil piece of **** but that should not cross into football. If a dictator known for his dirty tricks and scare tactics wanted a photo with you, you'd struggle to say no even if you hated him, due to self preservation and keeping your family out of danger.

Archived