IGNORED

Truro City

22A

Announced on BBC South West tonight.

Truro City have been given just ten days to get out as their ground is being changed to a Supermarket . Truro will play their home games at Torquay, 100 miles / 2 hours drive away.

Billericay fans are, quite rightly, expressing their anger as they are away to Truro for the first game of the season. Train tickets bought and hotels booked etc. A spokesman for Truro has confirmed their is no other ground in Cornwall with facilities good enough for the level Truro play at.

This has come as a surprise as the Truro ground has just been spruced up ready for the new season.

11 minutes ago, 22A said:

This has come as a surprise as the Truro ground has just been spruced up ready for the new season.

Having been down there a few weeks ago, I thought this was what the club wanted (albeit things seem to have suddenly moved very fast).

They have permission to build a new ground that they need long term and the supermarket is to fund that - think council also funding too.

Only oddity is why Plainmoor is the nearest viable ground? Isn't there a second tier rugby club down there? And isn't Plymouth closer too?

3 minutes ago, Olé said:

Having been down there a few weeks ago, I thought this was what the club wanted (albeit things seem to have suddenly moved very fast).

They have permission to build a new ground that they need long term and the supermarket is to fund that - think council also funding too.

Only oddity is why Plainmoor is the nearest viable ground? Isn't there a second tier rugby club down there? And isn't Plymouth closer too?

I agree with you, something isn't quite right, Plymouth (football or rugby) are surely suitable and nearer, as is that Cornish Pirates rugby ground.

11 minutes ago, 22A said:

I agree with you, something isn't quite right, Plymouth (football or rugby) are surely suitable and nearer, as is that Cornish Pirates rugby ground.

I think the Pirates ground in Penzance is a bit of a dump.

What happened to the stadium for Cornwall that TCFC and the Pirates were going to share? Thought it got the green light.

Ah well, everything's better in Devon anyway :fear:

13 minutes ago, 22A said:

Pete Masters (chairman) asked James Brent (Plymouth chairman) about playing at Plymouth and he said no.  I doubt the Cornish Pirates' ground at Penzance or Plymouth Albion's ground meet the Conference South requirements.

Exeter would have actually been easier to get to though and they weren't mentioned.

Pete Masters "facilitated" the deal that saw Torquay taken over last year; whatever "facilitated" means so he already had a deal going there.

First game Billericay (now at Torquay) featuring: JET.

2 minutes ago, devoncider said:

What happened to the stadium for Cornwall that TCFC and the Pirates were going to share? Thought it got the green light.

The reason they are moving is because of the stadium being built. Council being as incompetent as ever but hopefully we should have a long overdue 5000 seat stadium for next year. Not ideal for them to move for a season, but it is a necessity. The lack of a stadium has already held the Pirates back and arguably kept them from reaching the Premiership. If it all goes to plan this could be a huge catalyst for Cornish sports, away from the complete embarrassment that it is right now.

Shame though as I wanted to go and watch JET, but now for two separate reasons this is not happening.

4 minutes ago, devoncider said:

Yes and no.  Council agreed to lob in three mill but it also required two mill IIRC of government money.  The council guy who was working up this bid has moved role so it now has to be started again and the government is now on their hols until ? October.

There is not the remotest chance that it will be built in time for the start of the 2019/20 season.

If it ever happens.

48 minutes ago, 22A said:

Truro City have been given just ten days to get out as their ground is being changed to a Supermarket . Truro will play their home games at Torquay, 100 miles / 2 hours drive away.

Billericay fans are, quite rightly, expressing their anger as they are away to Truro for the first game of the season. Train tickets bought and hotels booked etc. A spokesman for Truro has confirmed their is no other ground in Cornwall with facilities good enough for the level Truro play at.

Without wishing to sound glib.....6 Billericay fans would be easy to recompense?

I always thought this would end up happening ever since it was first suggested a couple of years ago. As others have said, there isn`t anywhere else in Cornwall that`s suitable (that in itself is a damning indictment of the failures of a long line of incompetent and self interested councillors over the years) and Plymouth said very early on that they weren`t interested.

Still, it`s a few quid for Torquay I guess and they certainly need that.

There was a piece yesterday in the Sunday Indie. Basically the company who have bought the ground have an agreement that they have the rights to it from July 31’st 2018 if they desired.

Quite why Truro agreed to this date I fail to understand, it was always a recipe for disaster surely, with the football season starting so close to that date.

2 minutes ago, Portland Bill said:

There was a piece yesterday in the Sunday Indie. Basically the company who have bought the ground have an agreement that they have the rights to it from July 31’st 2018 if they desired.

Quite why Truro agreed to this date I fail to understand, it was always a recipe for disaster surely, with the football season starting so close to that date.

They didn't have a lot of choice.  The ground was secretly sold by the previous chairman Kevin Heaney (property developer and all that implies) who used it to fund their climbing the leagues but pretended he was putting his own money in.

When the club nearly folded and he left the two new owners came in and found they didn't own the ground as it had been sold to a development company.

The development company has let them play there for ?three seasons but it's an annual renewal and they were only doing it until a decent offer came in as has now happened.

They've probably had the rights to it 31 July 2017, 2016 and 2015 as well but no interested parties.

1 hour ago, 22A said:

It cant be a surprise to anyone unless the terms of their occupation allowed for almosr immediater termination like a tenancy at will. Presumably Plymouth werent asked.

1 minute ago, ollywhyte said:

Could have easily ground shared with Plymouth Albion, facilities more than good enough for that level and they would have jumped at the chance of increased revenue!

Albion have a better stadium than Rovers ffs

IMG_3950.PNG

IMG_3951.PNG

Shortwood Utd have a better patch than the tinkers.

2 hours ago, 22A said:

This isn’t a new story, it was being talked about last year and beyond:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/41829923 

http://www.trurocityfc.net/news/ground-share-latest-update-1801067.html

Truro are apparently going to give full refunds to their 14 season ticket holders.....

5 minutes ago, Red Right Hand said:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/44952076

We shall see. I wouldn`t be surprised if planning permission is granted and then the bits other than housing are quietly dropped.

Couldn't agree more. Fast forward 5 years no stadium or arena but thousands of redrow houses! 

They use the stadium and arena as a excuse at getting planning etc then will ditch stadium plans due to cost and build more houses!!!

On 24/07/2018 at 02:17, devoncider said:

Except the beaches and the pasties of course.

On 23/07/2018 at 19:17, devoncider said:

I was working at the Royal Cornwall hospital in Truro earlier this week and, as you drive into Truro from the A30 (2nd exit not the main one) there are loads of signs saying 'this is the site for the stadium for Cornwall' with Cornish pirates and Truro FC badges. I assume it's still happening but it's just fields at the moment.

10 minutes ago, Ska Junkie said:

I was working at the Royal Cornwall hospital in Truro earlier this week and, as you drive into Truro from the A30 (2nd exit not the main one) there are loads of signs saying 'this is the site for the stadium for Cornwall' with Cornish pirates and Truro FC badges. I assume it's still happening but it's just fields at the moment.

I wouldn’t advertise this too much mate

The Sags will be down there with a few tents , a ring of rusty caravans , and Santa’s Grotto ,

and claiming it for their own

16 minutes ago, Red Right Hand said:

I`ve never understood why all these people drive straight through God`s own county to get to the overcrowded, overpriced, overblown next door one.

preaching to the converted, my friend. Devon is heaven.

As an interesting codicil to this that the manager and assistant manager both resigned prior to last night's game; according to them.

According to the Chairman they haven't resigned.

Hmm...

9:27

SharedTruro City boss Lee Hodges and assistant Chris Todd resign

Ross Ellis

BBC Radio Cornwall

Truro City manager Lee Hodges (pictured) and his assistant, Chris Todd, have confirmed they have resigned from the White Tigers.

They announced their decision before Tuesday night's match with Weston-super-Mare, which saw a 1-1 draw.

Hodges was in his second spell with the club, having guiding them to the first round proper of the FA Cup last season and the end of season play-offs.

Truro City have yet to make an official comment but earlier chairman Peter Masters denied the pair had stepped down.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/live/uk-england-devon-45023097?ns_mchannel=social&ns_source=twitter&ns_campaign=bbc_live&ns_linkname=5b6aa980a081040678934b13%26Truro City boss Lee Hodges and assistant Chris Todd resign%26&ns_fee=0#post_5b6aa980a081040678934b13

8 hours ago, Eddie Hitler said:

As an interesting codicil to this that the manager and assistant manager both resigned prior to last night's game; according to them.

According to the Chairman they haven't resigned.

Hmm...

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/live/uk-england-devon-45023097?ns_mchannel=social&ns_source=twitter&ns_campaign=bbc_live&ns_linkname=5b6aa980a081040678934b13%26Truro City boss Lee Hodges and assistant Chris Todd resign%26&ns_fee=0#post_5b6aa980a081040678934b13

They know something we don`t (but strongly suspect). Sadly I don`t think the club will last the season TBH.

13 minutes ago, Red Right Hand said:

They know something we don`t (but strongly suspect). Sadly I don`t think the club will last the season TBH.

Agreed on the first.  I don't see that there will be a problem with the club surviving as they've just been given £2m for moving out of their previous ground; maybe it's what that £2m is being used for.  Similar to the gas and most player sales' money going down the black hole of a London office and various suits' salaries.  That's for the gas thread but if Daryl did the same next week I wouldn't be surprised.

On 23/07/2018 at 18:59, Olé said:

It's what the owner wanted.None of the fans want a journey to home games which would be like City playing in Northampton.

It's another Hereford scenario with a club being taken over by an apparent benefactor who was all along playing the long game to redevelop the ground.

4 minutes ago, Red-Robbo said:

It's what the owner wanted.None of the fans want a journey to home games which would be like City playing in Northampton.

It's another Hereford scenario with a club being taken over by an apparent benefactor who was all along playing the long game to redevelop the ground.

The ground had been sold before the new owners took over so that prize wasn't there.  I don't understand the game that's being played but investment in the football club (which, at root, it is) is not happening.

Archived