IGNORED

Expectations (Merged)

Red Army 75

I think the new signings have to pretty much hit the ground running, especially with Famara not playing for the first 6 games.

The league is a lot harder than last year with the inclusion of Stoke, Swansea and West Brom as well as bankrolled teams like Forest and Boro. I want to say we will be mid table but I can honestly see a relegation fight..I'm not quite sure who we are actually better than in this league, Leeds? Ipswich? QPR? Millwall? Wigan? Rotherham?

The other teams seem to have prepared quite well with either big money signings or manager shake ups but I guess that can go either way. I have City finishing 18th. West Brom and Stoke up automatically, Forest in the playoffs. Rotherham, Ipswich and QPR going down.

I'm optimistic, but being some what realistic. Hoping players such as Eliasson and O'Dowda really shine this year

Fammy out for six matches, unless eisa hits the ground running I can see us struggling for goals. Our form in the second half of the season was pretty dreadful and if Bryan goes thats three of our better players gone, so its down to the new guys to improve the team, some who have never played at this level, I cant see past a relegation scrap tbh, hopefully i'm proved wrong.

Think we'll be fine in mid table (expecting 12th ish) personally, wouldn't expect us to finish lower than 15th, some will be unhappy with that position if we were to finish there but after losing some key players we can then build on it for the season after.

Expectation ( or is it hope) is that we don't have another season of very high highs and very low lows.

Hoping for upper mid table, but with more consistency through the season. With a much changed squad and team am expecting a slowish start, though I don't think LJ can afford a poor start, but steady improvement as new players bed in.

The problem is that being Bristol City, we could just as easily be the surprise package as we could be in a relegation battle - we never do things the easy way.

Going to be really tough this season if we stay away from the relegation places all season we will have done well , I don’t think it’s pessimism it’s realism we have lost two of our best players Flint , Reid and not replaced with the same quality .

on the plus side we finally signed a rb so at least we have some cover there .

IMO Top 10 is a sensible aim. It’s an incredibly competitive league in which realistically around 20 teams are capable of a top 6 finish. And 20 into 6 don’t go!

I just hope as a fanbase we don’t fall into the trap of seeing anything other than an increase in league position as a failure. It’s natural we want to finish higher every year, especially now it’s become a trend under the current management, but it’s a big ask with the financial disparity between those who have recently been in the premier league and those who have not. 

23 minutes ago, Monkeh said:

top 8 has to be the minimum this season, it will see continued improvement, 

I disagree, as we dont have the 8th best squad in the league.

I'm not saying that means we definitely won't finish in the top 8, but we shouldnt expect to finish in the top 8. 

5 minutes ago, bengalcub said:

Going to be really tough this season if we stay away from the relegation places all season we will have done well , I don’t think it’s pessimism it’s realism we have lost two of our best players Flint , Reid and not replaced with the same quality .

on the plus side we finally signed a rb so at least we have some cover there .

Although I also feel this is too pessimistic then realistic. Whilst our 2 best players have left we still have a squad capable of finishing in a mid-table position.

Personally I think we'll finish around 12th or 13th, which I'd be happy with. A period of consolidation in this league  isn't something to be frowned upon, though we should of course always be looking to strengthen the side where possible.

1 minute ago, J D said:

I disagree, as we dont have the 8th best squad in the league.

I'm not saying that means we definitely won't finish in the top 8, but we shouldnt expect to finish in the top 8. 

Although I also feel this is too pessimistic then realistic. Whilst our 2 best players have left we still have a squad capable of finishing in a mid-table position.

Personally I think we'll finish around 12th or 13th, which I'd be happy with. A period of consolidation in this league  isn't something to be frowned upon, though we should of course always be looking to strengthen the side where possible.

i never said we did, but having the best squad doesn't get you anywhere, team work will,  on paper Sunderland had a squad that should of got into the play-offs, they got relegated while on paper millwall had a squad that should of been relegated, they finished 7th

50 minutes ago, JBFC II said:

Honestly I have completely no idea. This is a transition period for the club so nobody knows how this season is going to go. If it clicks we'll be mid table, if not we are likely to go down... 

Not having a pop but why are we having a transition period,why haven't we built on last season's squad and gone for the playoffs or better this year

1 minute ago, Monkeh said:

i never said we did, but having the best squad doesn't get you anywhere, team work will,  on paper Sunderland had a squad that should of got into the play-offs, they got relegated while on paper millwall had a squad that should of been relegated, they finished 7th

So why do you think we should be finishing in the top 8 then? Because our team is better at teamwork then 16 other teams in this league?

I’m hoping we don’t struggle. Will be happy with mid table. 

I’ll accept a few places lower than last season, if we can eradicate the good half/bad half pattern and keep a more consistent pattern of results throughout the season. 

2 minutes ago, J D said:

So why do you think we should be finishing in the top 8 then? Because our team is better at teamwork then 16 other teams in this league?

because Lansdown wants a season on season improvement, I don't think we'll finish 8th I think 8th is the minimum expectation

because Lansdown wants a season on season improvement, I don't think we'll finish 8th I think 8th is the minimum expectation

There's a difference between a want and an expectation.

I doubt Lansdown expects us to finish in the top 8 tbh.

with the money he's spent? I think he will demand it

Tbh he could well have made a profit this summer from our sales... Could be wrong though, hard to figure out when half the deals are "undisclosed"

Archived