IGNORED

Expectations (Merged)

Red Army 75

5 hours ago, Eastside Moonwalker said:

I think the new signings have to pretty much hit the ground running, especially with Famara not playing for the first 6 games.

The league is a lot harder than last year with the inclusion of Stoke, Swansea and West Brom as well as bankrolled teams like Forest and Boro. I want to say we will be mid table but I can honestly see a relegation fight..I'm not quite sure who we are actually better than in this league, Leeds? Ipswich? QPR? Millwall? Wigan? Rotherham?

The other teams seem to have prepared quite well with either big money signings or manager shake ups but I guess that can go either way. I have City finishing 18th. West Brom and Stoke up automatically, Forest in the playoffs. Rotherham, Ipswich and QPR going down.

I'm optimistic, but being some what realistic. Hoping players such as Eliasson and O'Dowda really shine this year

1) I have "Great Expectations"

2) I would rather they threw themselves at the ground and missed we would then be off to a flying start.

Just to throw in some bleeding edge stats here's something from Experimental 361 (from this time last year). Basically shows that as a club which last season finished "Elsewhere in the top half" last season we have a 62% chance of being mid-table next season. Mid-table in this case being anything between 7th and 21st. His data-mining actually shows that we could reasonably have a slightly higher chance of being promoted than relegated next year (12% versus 10%). There's a 25% chance we finish in the top 6.

If you apply this to our finish in 2016/17 (17th) which counts as "Finish safely in the bottom half" and then to our finish last season (11th) you'd see that we actually ever so slightly bucked the trend.

Essentially this seems to corroborate the feeling of this thread. Probably lower mid-table with an outside chance of gate-crashing the pray-offs.

2017-18-season-to-season-ch1.png?w=860&h

5 hours ago, Red-Robbo said:

Lower than this season. And a reverse too. I think we'll start poorly and maybe turn things around by the end of season.

That may not be with LJ.

Just my hunch....

My gut feeling also Robbo..a very shakey first half season with every chance Lee being 'toast by early new year...

I just don't see where the goals are in this squad as it 'stands.

2 hours ago, JamesBCFC said:

I'm the opposite but with the same result.

First of my family to be born in Bristol, so haven't inherited the 'negativity gene'.

....but you will be meeting native Bristolians, and their negativity will gradually seep into the pores of your skin.

Give item James and you will also be seeing nothing but half empty glasses.

5 minutes ago, downendcity said:

....but you will be meeting native Bristolians, and their negativity will gradually seep into the pores of your skin.

Give item James and you will also be seeing nothing but half empty glasses.

I'm not sure some on here are even able to see the glass.

Just a void of emptiness.

23 minutes ago, JamesBCFC said:

I'm not sure some on here are even able to see the glass.

Just a void of emptiness.

For some the glass has shattered into smithereens.

Mid table, I reckon - and I'd be pretty content with that. I'm really hoping there won't be terrible runs of games like the last two seasons. Also that we'll play some decent football.

Like others on this thread, I've got a feeling we'll have a shaky start as new players bed in but that we'll improve as the season progresses.

3 hours ago, ExiledAjax said:

If you apply this to our finish in 2016/17 (17th) which counts as "Finish safely in the bottom half" and then to our finish last season (11th) you'd see that we actually ever so slightly bucked the trend.

Thank goodness we didn’t go the way of the 1% who presumably don’t finish the season at all...

Fortunately we’ve got a 101% chance of still existing come the end of this season. Feels optimistic.

10 hours ago, Eastside Moonwalker said:

The league is a lot harder than last year with the inclusion of Stoke, Swansea and West Brom as well as bankrolled teams like Forest and Boro...

I don’t get this ‘Forest and Boro are being bankrolled’ thing - their owners aren’t worth anywhere near what our owner is worth....apologies if there is another angle to this that I’ve missed....

7 minutes ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

I don’t get this ‘Forest and Boro are being bankrolled’ thing - their owners aren’t worth anywhere near what our owner is worth....apologies if there is another angle to this that I’ve missed....

Not sure about fees recieved but think both have spent about £20m.

Forest, it seems, are trying to be Wolves MkII

I  always sit at the head of my table because I (foolishly think) I am the boss in my house.

I think I would be happy if we finish mid table.I can't honestly say I am hugely confident,but who knows how things will work out with some "big names" gone and some new unknown quantities. Just hope we get some early points on the board to settle the nerves.

55 minutes ago, healeyred said:

What are people expectations for the new season i think will be around mid table 

there is a 3 page thread with the same title posted only a couple of days ago by red army if you care to look on page 2.

5 hours ago, pillred said:

there is a 3 page thread with the same title posted only a couple of days ago by red army if you care to look on page 2.

There’s a page 2?

Anyway, we will be in the top 6 in February. Whether we can avoid relegation remains to be seen but confidence is high, I repeat confidence is high.

3 hours ago, Neo said:

There’s a page 2?

Anyway, we will be in the top 6 in February. Whether we can avoid relegation remains to be seen but confidence is high, I repeat confidence is high.

do you like me have this feeling about the coming season that if we are doing well you will be thinking no it's not going to last we are going to go on a bad run, unfortunately that's how they have got me wondering when normal service is going to be resumed.

On 24/07/2018 at 16:34, Olé said:

I just thought his comment at the end of last season in the Radio Bristol interview (which was the boldest I've heard him, and I thought for once really captured the mood of fans after the season had fallen away) was setting quite a clear expectation of further progress as the benchmark.

You've made the point that you hope fans can deal with the reality that it is unlikely (which I agree with), my point is can SL deal with it? He's come out and said something very specific about his expectations and it's exactly the sort of thing Geoff Twentyman will put back to him in a year.

I don't know what SL is expecting, but I know what expectations he has publicly set.

SL's expectations are unrealistic then with what the club has at its disposal both on and off the pitch.

Everyone is doing their best but with limitations. SL literally has no limits and could wipe his arse with FFP - not that i'm saying he should, but he cannot expect progress with a squad and coaching set up that is middling.

Mid table in a tough league isn't bad.

1 hour ago, pillred said:

do you like me have this feeling about the coming season that if we are doing well you will be thinking no it's not going to last we are going to go on a bad run, unfortunately that's how they have got me wondering when normal service is going to be resumed.

Unfortunately yes. I am desperate to be challenging for a top 6 spot and even top 2 but for this season it would be nice just to finish top half with losing streaks being 2 or 3 games max and not week after frustrating week.

I want to see at least the team have the desire to halt these runs and the coaching team demonstrating they know NOW how to resolve otherwise this will be LJ’s legacy and our label which we won’t shake off easily and could damage team and fan confidence long after LJ has moved on.

1 hour ago, Loon plage said:

Not sure why your comment was rubbished.

Thank you.

It's just an opinion and until the season starts it's just as valid as anyone else's.

I'll be delighted if I'm proved wrong. Football is indeed a "funny old game" and teams sometimes gel brilliantly or fall apart for entirely unexpected reasons.  

I don't think any of us would watch it if it was predictable!  :)

On 24/07/2018 at 15:55, Wanderingred said:

I think this is gonna be a bit of a nothing season if I'm honest. We have a more experienced side than last season but I see very little in the team to get excited by. 13th place with about 60 points. I wouldn't be too disappointed with that, as long as our record isn't something like DWLDDWLWWWWDWDDWWWLWWWWDWWWDDLLLLDDDLLDDLLLLDL

For the record, I predicted 22nd and relegation last season.

Lets hope you are 11 places too pessimistic again then :)

I think we'll struggle for goals, especially with Diedhiou out for the first six games. For each of the last four seasons we've had a goal scorer right up towards the top of the championship leading scorers table. I'm not sure who will take up that baton in the club 18/19 season. The only thing that is easy to call this season is that this will be the season that LJ can be judged more accurately than previous seasons.

Really hard to predict final position but I'd be surprised to finish top 6, happy with top-half of table but suspect we may be just below mid-table.

Archived