IGNORED

Expectations (Merged)

Red Army 75

9 hours ago, Red-Robbo said:

Thank you.

It's just an opinion and until the season starts it's just as valid as anyone else's.

I'll be delighted if I'm proved wrong. Football is indeed a "funny old game" and teams sometimes gel brilliantly or fall apart for entirely unexpected reasons.  

I don't think any of us would watch it if it was predictable!  :)

FWIW. I think it’s may be of the best predictions on here

(Other than we may finish the season without LJ) (Just can’t see that happening)

20 hours ago, hodge said:

Didn't we have a thread with the same title a day or two ago...?

People's expectations were that the thread wouldn't last more than a day.

I hope we empty a proper leader of the club, LJ can stay as a coach, but we need a true leader or we are going nowhere. We will do well to avoid a relegation fight  as we are not set up for the tough self analysis it needs. We need more character and drive, not a group of buddies. 

We risk being in a relegation fight we are nowhere near a top 6 side 

I want to be proved wrong as I prefer to be an idiot rather than the club suffer, " I told you so" is far from being what I desire . I far prefer to be told " You know F all " . Because the club and the joy of fans is everything . 

38 minutes ago, Psychopomp said:

I hope we empty a proper leader of the club, LJ can stay as a coach, but we need a true leader or we are going nowhere. We will do well to avoid a relegation fight  as we are not set up for the tough self analysis it needs. We need more character and drive, not a group of buddies. 

We risk being in a relegation fight we are nowhere near a top 6 side 

I want to be proved wrong as I prefer to be an idiot rather than the club suffer, " I told you so" is far from being what I desire . I far prefer to be told " You know F all " . Because the club and the joy of fans is everything . 

Bold 1 - Its not like we've had season on season improvements in position....

Bold 2 - Its not as if theres a 'mid table' 

I am expecting mid table, but I am worried that we will have a poor start to the season, given the lack of proven goalscorer with Fam missing the first 6 games, the goalkeeper situation, and a starting 11 that may need more time to blend together. Certainly if you consider the spine of last season's team being Fielding, Flint, Pack & Reid, you can appreciate the challenge we face.

Also our great first half of last season followed a very strong finish to the previous season. The end of last season was the complete opposite, our form was terrible, and we really need that to change ASAP.

And on a historical note, I have a feeling that the last time we finished 11th at this level, having been 2nd in the table at Christmas (1956-57), we were 13th the next season. That seems pretty realistic this time as well. 

Defining year in many ways for me. We have shown progress on and off the pitch in the last 5 years but the bar gets higher and higher and the competition doesn't stand still around us.

We need to see our team's identity back from the first half of last season. Are we able to take the high press high energy ethic and continue this for a full season?

Demonstrate that the recruitment policy is working and that selling our best players doesn't always mean a backward step.

As a firm supporter of the boards approach to stability and investing in Johnson regardless of results, he has now to show progress himself this year - get rid of the baron win-less runs and show he can turn things around quicker when the ship is of course!

Finally finishing as a championship team at the end of this season will clock up 10 years in the second tier in the last 12 - that will also be something in its self although a top 10 finish will be required to feel like it. So that is what i am hoping/predicting - top 10.

4 minutes ago, hantsred said:

Defining year in many ways for me. We have shown progress on and off the pitch in the last 5 years but the bar gets higher and higher and the competition doesn't stand still around us.

We need to see our team's identity back from the first half of last season. Are we able to take the high press high energy ethic and continue this for a full season?

Demonstrate that the recruitment policy is working and that selling our best players doesn't always mean a backward step.

As a firm supporter of the boards approach to stability and investing in Johnson regardless of results, he has now to show progress himself this year - get rid of the baron win-less runs and show he can turn things around quicker when the ship is of course!

Finally finishing as a championship team at the end of this season will clock up 10 years in the second tier in the last 12 - that will also be something in its self although a top 10 finish will be required to feel like it. So that is what i am hoping/predicting - top 10.

baron winless, isn't he in panto this year?

I'd love to see us fight for 6th without the roller coaster highs and lows of the last couple of years. Win a few, draw a few, lose a few but in with a shout all season.

I don't think I can handle climb, climb, plummet, climb, climb, plummet, again.

Do we have a squad strong enough to compete in the top third? I think we do. We have a lot more depth this year with our summer recruitment and hopefully we can weather injuries, suspensions and knocks without too much trouble. 

I wouldn't expect another cup run and if anything it would be too much of a distraction this season. All I ask for really is a nice, solid, competitive season with us squeaking into 6th on the last day. Anything after that is a bonus. 

COYR !!!! 

We have some on here who are "the glass is 1% empty" when things are going well. Others equally are "the glass is 1% full" when things are going badly. My personal view is top ten, but outside the playoffs by a frustratingly small margin - because that is the way we tend to do things 'round here....

15 minutes ago, semblar said:

We have some on here who are "the glass is 1% empty" when things are going well. Others equally are "the glass is 1% full" when things are going badly. My personal view is top ten, but outside the playoffs by a frustratingly small margin - because that is the way we tend to do things 'round here....

I'd settle for that mate - that would show progress.

1 hour ago, Loon plage said:

Give yourself 20-30 years of disappointment and bullshit and maybe you won't be so smug mate.

Lets see what happens eh.

It's nothing to do with smugness.

Bloody hell, you even took a half joking comment from a light hearted bit of discourse as something to have a go at.

Says it all really.

4 hours ago, pillred said:

baron winless, isn't he in panto this year?

That's Baron Hardup - appearing at a pantomime in Horfield this year.

2 hours ago, JamesBCFC said:

It's nothing to do with smugness.

Bloody hell, you even took a half joking comment from a light hearted bit of discourse as something to have a go at.

Says it all really.

Not really fella.

You come across as a superfan and you weren't half joking either that's all there is to it. 

I said mid table and to wait and see, which isn't negative, but if anyone on here who has literally seen it all at this club despite promises and false dawns over many many years and is uninspired by what they see and concerned about the coming season, they are entitled to their view.

1 minute ago, Loon plage said:

Not really fella.

You come across as a superfan and you weren't half joking either that's all there is to it. 

I said mid table and to wait and see, which isn't negative, but if anyone on here who has literally seen it all at this club despite promises and false dawns over many many years and is uninspired by what they see and concerned about the coming season, they are entitled to their view.

1. Based on?

2. Yes I was. I know my thought process a bit better than you do.

I agree with the first and last lines of your last paragraph.

On 26/07/2018 at 00:43, Rossi the Robin said:

Attacking football with width, win more than we lose with a chance of play offs with 6 games left 

Width? Seems unlikely as we have rarely done that under Lee.

Sign a load of wingers and tell them to 'tuck in' as we only have two in the middle.

I agree it would be nice to see that change this season but not holding my breath.

On 24/07/2018 at 15:07, Dman_Red said:

Head says 12th-14th, heart would like us in a similar position to last year (not including the fall from 2nd) with still having a mathematical chance of reaching the play offs going into April.

I'm quite optimistic though. I'm looking forward to actually having an attacking right back who can make the opposition at least think about whether there's going to be an overlap. Webster can hopefully drive forward with the ball in a Harry Maguire type way as it causes all sorts of problems. This also gives the option of freeing up Pack/Smith as they don't have to go back to receive a five yard ball of the centre backs.

Going forward we have a lot more options than last year. Wiemann ideally will replace Reids work rate. O'Dowda/Eisa/Adelakun offer pace that we were missing sometimes last season and their presence allows Paterson to be played more centrally. 

New goalkeeper, Bryan LM, keep Duric and the bookies can take my money on a City top 6 finish!

I was with you on this, but in the main, all it has done is drag Pack deeper to fill in between Webster and Kalas!

On 30/11/2018 at 13:19, Davefevs said:

I was with you on this, but in the main, all it has done is drag Pack deeper to fill in between Webster and Kalas!

I'll have to keep a closer eye on this in the next few games. There is definitely something to be exploited by having your CBs come out with the ball. Fulham/Brentford were the best teams I saw last season and this was what really stood out and allowed them to create space.

Whilst Webster is able to do this, it's success does depend on those around him and their ability to make space and move the ball quickly. He needs to break the line/press, cut 3/4 opposition players out of the game and his teammates need to offer a number of options. If there aren't any passes available, the temptation is to keep it and potentially overrun it resulting in a loss of possession or a lunging tackle (I'm probably thinking of Maguire on this point). When he has done this in previous games, we've often looked so pedestrian when he has released the ball, any benefit he's gained has been lost by our lack of urgency to get the ball forward, which allows the opposition to regroup.

I don't have an issue with Pack (or any other centre mid) taking the ball off the defenders, if the rest of the team act accordingly. For example, Pack gets the ball Webster/Kalas split off either side to make a 3 and our LB/RB push forward as wing backs. IIRC Fulham seemed to do this last season and it worked really well.

I thought we were trying to emulate this with the Webster/Kalas signings. Our current CBs are better 'footballers' than the Flint/Baker/Wright partnerships of last season. But for some reason we've ditched the try to play out from the back plan, even though we should be much more well equipped to do it.

My position prediction is looking ok though (touch wood) and I'd certainly take it now!

On 24/07/2018 at 16:34, Olé said:

I just thought his comment at the end of last season in the Radio Bristol interview (which was the boldest I've heard him, and I thought for once really captured the mood of fans after the season had fallen away) was setting quite a clear expectation of further progress as the benchmark.

You've made the point that you hope fans can deal with the reality that it is unlikely (which I agree with), my point is can SL deal with it? He's come out and said something very specific about his expectations and it's exactly the sort of thing Geoff Twentyman will put back to him in a year.

I don't know what SL is expecting, but I know what expectations he has publicly set.

Interesting that you picked up on this back in the summer. I presume you are referring to his: "get in the top six and vie for promotion at the end of the season " comment. I didn't realise it was said to GT.

So was this Steve under the pump a bit with 20 man grilling him and thus an emotional response to the collapse post-Christmas and a defiant backing for his personally chosen head coach? Was this Steve saying: "My faith is unchanged, I really believe in Lee and what he can do here (despite the second half of the season)" and perhaps still sticking two fingers up to the "Johnson out" bed sheet haters?

Or a cool, rational assessment of our chances for the season to come, taking all pros and cons into consideration?

As you say, it was a surprisingly specific hope laid out for this season, and quite frankly, setting his h/c up to probably fail.

Archived