IGNORED

Will A New Hero Emerge Or Will We Truly Become A Squad.

numbeast

I think most of us viewed Aden Flint as cult hero, even to the extent some of his mistakes were over looked. Do we have anyone who is going to take up the mantle vacated by AF?

The problem with a hero/ talisman, in my view, is people get over relient on them, team mates as well as fans. I think this season rather than relying on one or two players we will utilise the whole of the squad. Each player still here from last season expected to step up to fill the void created by losing Flint Reid and perhaps Joe Bryan.

Lee Johnson has said he expects Eliasson to push for a starting place and I think several of the younger players who went out on loan may find themselves on the bench and coming on to gain a small taste of the Championship standard.

Predicting our final league position right now is nothing more than a wild guessing game. If we can hold our own in mid table and not only integrate the new signings but blood some of our up and coming youngsters then it will be a success with anything more  bonus.

Having a talisman is great but having a squad who would put their bodies on the line for the club and their teammates has got to be better hasn't it?

3 hours ago, numbeast said:

I think most of us viewed Aden Flint as cult hero, even to the extent some of his mistakes were over looked. Do we have anyone who is going to take up the mantle vacated by AF?

The problem with a hero/ talisman, in my view, is people get over relient on them, team mates as well as fans. I think this season rather than relying on one or two players we will utilise the whole of the squad. Each player still here from last season expected to step up to fill the void created by losing Flint Reid and perhaps Joe Bryan.

Lee Johnson has said he expects Eliasson to push for a starting place and I think several of the younger players who went out on loan may find themselves on the bench and coming on to gain a small taste of the Championship standard.

Predicting our final league position right now is nothing more than a wild guessing game. If we can hold our own in mid table and not only integrate the new signings but blood some of our up and coming youngsters then it will be a success with anything more  bonus.

Having a talisman is great but having a squad who would put their bodies on the line for the club and their teammates has got to be better hasn't it?

I think this is a great way of viewing this season. Even if we finish an unspectacular 12th, if we see good things from our ‘up and comers’ - Eliasson, COD, Hakeeb, Webster, Brownhill, Kelly and Eisa - that could be a really great foundation to build a team capable of challenging for the league in a few years time. Especially considering the youngsters a level below them who will develop and could support the charge - Semenyo, McCoulsky, Vyner etc. 

Either way, bring on August 4th :city::clapping:

What I would love to see, and there are many parallels to, is what we have seen with our national side. The loss of Flint is similar to England’s loss of the “old guard”; that whilst their presence was required, it caused us to cling to a certain way to play. As with Southgate, LJ has a young set of players that he can sculpt into more than just a team, but into an identity of playing. Whilst I don’t believe it for a second, I would love to see a change of formation that gives such a statement of intent, for example a three at the back who play out from the back, the technical ability of youth from the pool of Vyner, Kelly, Webster, with the comfort on the ball of Jens, bringing it out to Brownhill, Walsh, even Patterson, ball on the floor, the quick passing and triangles we have seen glimpses of cemented as a philosophy of play. High press with pace throughout, but especially on the wings, with the added steel and experience from the likes of Pack, Smith, Wright, Baker. So that even during the bad runs, we have an identity to bring us through that we seemed to lack in the latter half of last season. All of this though can only come, like with England, with a man between the sticks who can distribute and command at the back in a way that lets those ahead take those risks with confidence. Yet, such a step is risky. But I would gladly take mid table to see this grow.

This is just a pipe dream though, a bridge too far, and I have heard no mention of a change of formation in the friendly games. Indeed the line up has appeared to indicate no such change. Perhaps at the Gate on Friday, I will get to witness a hint of LJ’s plans. At least I can take satisfaction from showing a mate who is a Bournemouth fan what it is like to play in a real football ground.

I know others will probably disagree, especially as we've now got new strikers, but I really hope Matty Taylor gets the chance to show what he's worth. With Famara out for six games, if given the nod from LJ, I really hope Matty gets the opportunity to shine, which I'm sure he can. He could become this season's hero in the making. Possibly maybe.....

14 minutes ago, glastonred said:

I know others will probably disagree, especially as we've now got new strikers, but I really hope Matty Taylor gets the chance to show what he's worth. With Famara out for six games, if given the nod from LJ, I really hope Matty gets the opportunity to shine, which I'm sure he can. He could become this season's hero in the making. Possibly maybe.....

I thought he was carried off in the last game or is he ok now?

We have a team capable of doing well in league 1, we have lost our top goalscorers from defence and attack and replaced our top scorer from a lad from Cheltenham.  I can see it being a tough season ahead especially if Bryan leaves as well.  Think we will have a season at the wrong end of the table and just hope you can stay up

23 minutes ago, LoyalRed said:

We have a team capable of doing well in league 1, we have lost our top goalscorers from defence and attack and replaced our top scorer from a lad from Cheltenham.  I can see it being a tough season ahead especially if Bryan leaves as well.  Think we will have a season at the wrong end of the table and just hope you can stay up

Christ we’ve not even kicked off yet! ‘Wrong end of the table’. I’m far from a happy clapper but Blige lighten up. I think it looks quite refreshed with a couple of more to come as well. Let’s face it we needed some changes. Onwards!!

1 hour ago, LoyalRed said:

I have no problems ' staying up ' thank you .

13 hours ago, Bobfish said:

What I would love to see, and there are many parallels to, is what we have seen with our national side. The loss of Flint is similar to England’s loss of the “old guard”; that whilst their presence was required, it caused us to cling to a certain way to play. As with Southgate, LJ has a young set of players that he can sculpt into more than just a team, but into an identity of playing. Whilst I don’t believe it for a second, I would love to see a change of formation that gives such a statement of intent, for example a three at the back who play out from the back, the technical ability of youth from the pool of Vyner, Kelly, Webster, with the comfort on the ball of Jens, bringing it out to Brownhill, Walsh, even Patterson, ball on the floor, the quick passing and triangles we have seen glimpses of cemented as a philosophy of play. High press with pace throughout, but especially on the wings, with the added steel and experience from the likes of Pack, Smith, Wright, Baker. So that even during the bad runs, we have an identity to bring us through that we seemed to lack in the latter half of last season. All of this though can only come, like with England, with a man between the sticks who can distribute and command at the back in a way that lets those ahead take those risks with confidence. Yet, such a step is risky. But I would gladly take mid table to see this grow.

This is just a pipe dream though, a bridge too far, and I have heard no mention of a change of formation in the friendly games. Indeed the line up has appeared to indicate no such change. Perhaps at the Gate on Friday, I will get to witness a hint of LJ’s plans. At least I can take satisfaction from showing a mate who is a Bournemouth fan what it is like to play in a real football ground.

Agree, let the National team be the influence it should be

Archived