IGNORED

RPZ Expansion around North Street

Kingswood Robin

3 minutes ago, AshtonPark said:

Yep it’s live now, so even less space for everyone to park

Thanks for that. I've parked in Greenway Bush Lane for about 30 years and my father did so before that. We never once parked in front of someone else's house but it looks like I might have to now. 

Has anyone got any experience of the bus from the Brislington Park and Ride? I travel with a son with Autism who is prone to running off and an elderly relative that has trouble walking. I'm willing to try it, but I'm a bit concerned about the length of time to wait to get on a bus after a match, especially of it's freezing cold.

We visited relatives a few weeks back, who live in Aubrey Road - not far from the site of the old Luckwell club. They are not covered by the RPZ. It was a Sunday afternoon; no event on at AG yet there was hardly any parking to be found. Unusually, I had to park streets away from their house.

I asked them what was going on and they said that since the introduction of the RPZ to Southville, residents from there with more than one car in their household, rather than paying for additional permits, have taken to parking their vehicles in the non-RPZ areas then being ferried back by a partner. Often their cars will be left there all week! Hence parking in the non-RPZ areas has become a nightmare for residents - and that's before the football or rugby seasons start!  

Parking around AG will be very difficult during the season ahead. Well done Marvin.

15 minutes ago, Rudolf Hucker said:

We visited relatives a few weeks back, who live in Aubrey Road - not far from the site of the old Luckwell club. They are not covered by the RPZ. It was a Sunday afternoon; no event on at AG yet there was hardly any parking to be found. Unusually, I had to park streets away from their house.

I asked them what was going on and they said that since the introduction of the RPZ to Southville, residents from there with more than one car in their household, rather than paying for additional permits, have taken to parking their vehicles in the non-RPZ areas then being ferried back by a partner. Often their cars will be left there all week! Hence parking in the non-RPZ areas has become a nightmare for residents - and that's before the football or rugby seasons start!  

Parking around AG will be very difficult during the season ahead. Well done Marvin.

I'm moving from North Street very soon. Before I do I'm making sure I obtain as many RPZ Visitor Parking permits as I can get my hands on.

But this is typical from Bristol City Council. They react to the complaints of residents, so make the whole area RPZ, but then haven't even considered what the 20k+ people commuting to the Gate for football will do. Just pushes the problem onto another area.

4 minutes ago, Undy English said:

I'm moving from North Street very soon. Before I do I'm making sure I obtain as many RPZ Visitor Parking permits as I can get my hands on.

But this is typical from Bristol City Council. They react to the complaints of residents, so make the whole area RPZ, but then haven't even considered what the 20k+ people commuting to the Gate for football will do. Just pushes the problem onto another area.

They seem to react to the complaints of residents in some areas, Undy yet completely ignore others.

Whenever major changes are introduced - and RPZ is a major change - there are a whole heap of knock-on effects. Bristol City Council doesn't seem to have anticipated a single one. What a surprise!

Love listening to whingeing from people from Yate and Downend about RPZ.  

2 minutes ago, Coxy27 said:

Does anyone have a MAP of the newly affected areas?

I often drive as it's quite far for me to come and not the easiest with public transport.

I tried here: https://www.bristol.gov.uk/parking/map-of-scheme-areas but it is 'currently unavailable'.

North Street is the dividing line.  Southville side is RPZ, Ashton / Chessels side isn't

Am surprised that the club isn't more active with the council on this or giving advice to supporters. I live the other side of Bath and am often hard pressed for time on Saturdays. Public transport transport isn't really an option for me and likely to get packed out with gates of 20,000 plus. I went into Southville a couple of days ago to do a bit of research and try a find somewhere sensible to park. Failed. Think we're heading for chaos for the Forest game. Long term, if this doesn't change, we'll be losing supporters over this...

6 minutes ago, Calculus said:

Am surprised that the club isn't more active with the council on this or giving advice to supporters. I live the other side of Bath and am often hard pressed for time on Saturdays. Public transport transport isn't really an option for me and likely to get packed out with gates of 20,000 plus. I went into Southville a couple of days ago to do a bit of research and try a find somewhere sensible to park. Failed. Think we're heading for chaos for the Forest game. Long term, if this doesn't change, we'll be losing supporters over this...

they try too but the council ignore them, 

7 minutes ago, Monkeh said:

Didn't know that and a shame if it's true. No idea what I'm going to do for the Forest game. Can see me reluctantly packing in next year if this is as bad as it looks it's going to be. 

2 minutes ago, Calculus said:

Didn't know that and a shame if it's true. No idea what I'm going to do for the Forest game. Can see me reluctantly packing in next year if this is as bad as it looks it's going to be. 

yea its not as if they've got 2500 car parking spaces at say a park and ride around the corner that the council still won't let the club use

3 minutes ago, The Bard said:

Love listening to whingeing from people from Yate and Downend about RPZ.  

I don't.

I'm a long term Southville resident and the locals have always been against any RPZ, including voting 82%, iirc., against it's initial introduction, and the extension - though utterly predictable - is just ridiculous.

The whole thing has been of very little benefit at all - the roads can be half empty during the day, but if you get back after 7 there's nowhere to park, mostly because so many previous parking spaces were taken away when the RPZ was imposed. on us.

We saved a few drivers - visiting Bristol for the Harbour Festival - from getting parking tickets on Saturday as they had no idea they were parking up in a paying zone.

Returning along the same route later car after car had been ticketed. These people will no doubt think twice about visiting Bristol to spend their money in the future.

Restrictions should be lifted altogether for a few hours when City are at home imo. - the council should be trying to accommodate and encourage mass entertainment, not make life increasingly difficult for attendees.

City fans would be very welcome to park on my road on match days.

10 minutes ago, Monkeh said:

They may say they have, but they actively avoided additional requirements for parking which were attached to the planning permission for the stadium redevelopment.  They also make parking in the local area worse by not giving parking spaces to Community Trust and other employees whilst leaving the car park half empty Monday to Friday.   Sorry but 'It's the Council's fault' is far too simplistic in explaining the issue.

1 minute ago, The Bard said:

They may say they have, but they actively avoided additional requirements for parking which were attached to the planning permission for the stadium redevelopment.  They also make parking in the local area worse by not giving parking spaces to Community Trust and other employees whilst leaving the car park half empty Monday to Friday.   Sorry but 'It's the Council's fault' is far too simplistic in explaining the issue.

those conditions haven't been met though

9 minutes ago, RedRaw said:

No problem then - the 'advice' is to park somewhere at an inflated price. No mention of areas where street parking is available. £7 or £10 per match over a whole season is a significant cost for many.

13 minutes ago, Calculus said:

No problem then - the 'advice' is to park somewhere at an inflated price. No mention of areas where street parking is available. £7 or £10 per match over a whole season is a significant cost for many.

The club have to be seen to be promoting "sustainable" methods of transport, that's why the arrangement with First Bus was introduced. Clearly they can not be seen to be advocating driving to the ground and parking in residential areas

23 minutes ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

Returning along the same route later car after car had been ticketed. These people will no doubt think twice about visiting Bristol to spend their money in the future.

Restrictions should be lifted altogether for a few hours when City are at home imo. - the council should be trying to accommodate and encourage mass entertainment, not make life increasingly difficult for attendees.

Very well said. Also a Southville resident and everyone I know voted against RPZ, yet still it was implemented. 

I've often given some of my residents parking permits to local shop owners struggling to find parking, along with random people I see struggling or unaware in general.

All of this is having a massively detrimental effect on Bristol and it's economy. The Council is making it so hard for people to simply park up and spend money on entertainment/things they enjoy. A number of small retailers in North Street have closed recently - this sort of thing will only continue to contribute to the decline.

As for rival cities, fair play to them, see Bristol is stuck in the stone age so take advantage.

2 hours ago, Kingswood Robin said:

Thanks for that. I've parked in Greenway Bush Lane for about 30 years and my father did so before that. We never once parked in front of someone else's house but it looks like I might have to now. 

Has anyone got any experience of the bus from the Brislington Park and Ride? I travel with a son with Autism who is prone to running off and an elderly relative that has trouble walking. I'm willing to try it, but I'm a bit concerned about the length of time to wait to get on a bus after a match, especially of it's freezing cold.

The Brislington P&R is usually pretty good, going to the match, but I would recommend getting one of the first buses on the timetable as the 40 minute round trip doesn't often work and you could be waiting a while. Coming back has been hit and miss! By the time we get out of the South Stand we have missed the first bus back, but it can be between 10 & 30 minutes until he next one! £4 return and they only take OAP concessions.

The A Bus is good, from Eagle Road or Temple Meads, both leave an hour before KO and they have 3 buses for the return journey queuing on Winterstoke Road which leave when they are full. £2 with a season card. I have parked around The Black Castle before when the kids were younger and got the A Bus. 

19 minutes ago, Calculus said:

max 230 quid,  

What would be the price to say park in a NCP car park and get the bus in?

2 hours ago, Kingswood Robin said:

We used the park and ride from bris for the majority of last season bar evening games . 

Geting there was easy and frequency of buses great . I’ve got two young kids . Getting out is the challenge obviously - there were two buses waiting to take you back when the game finished but as the season progressed people seemed to leave earlier and earlier . I sit in the south stand so is easy to get to but as the bus left there were invariably people left behind . 

3 minutes ago, Undy English said:

All of this is having a massively detrimental effect on Bristol and it's economy. The Council is making it so hard for people to simply park up and spend money on entertainment/things they enjoy. A number of small retailers in North Street have closed recently - this sort of thing will only continue to contribute to the decline.

As for rival cities, fair play to them, see Bristol is stuck in the stone age so take advantage.

With Rees doing his utmost to send the Arena out to Filton where only South Glos will benefit and now proposals for congestion charging https://www.bristolpost.co.uk/news/bristol-news/bristol-could-congestion-zone-idea-1822435 , I'll be surprised if anyone wants to venture anywhere near Central Bristol in the next 10 years

Clearly? The ground is in a residential in a city with poor mass public transport. I arrived on this city in 1973. Public transport was poor then and it still is. 

As a top priority, think the club need to be doing all they can to make it as easy as possible for the supporters rather than trivial PC posing. That said, trying to get any sense out of Marvin and the City Council must be difficult. (My entry for understatement of the year).

Archived