IGNORED

RPZ Expansion around North Street

Kingswood Robin

1 minute ago, Calculus said:

Clearly? The ground is in a residential in a city with poor mass public transport. I arrived on this city in 1973. Public transport was poor then and it still is. 

As a top priority, think the club need to be doing all they can to make it as easy as possible for the supporters rather than trivial PC posing. That said, trying to get any sense out of Marvin and the City Council must be difficult. (My entry for understatement of the year).

This isn't "trivial PC posing" for gods sake.........Ashton gate is a "business" set in a residential area with 20,000+ customers arriving every other week as well as the rugby, conferences, gigs etc......they have obligations and a duty of care to the community they operate in which includes transport/parking. They are hardly gone to advertise "yea its OK to rock up in your car and park in front of anyone's house within a mile radius'

The club are only responsible for advising you of the options........It's up to you to decide what is the best option for getting to and from the ground

1 minute ago, RedRaw said:

This isn't "trivial PC posing" for gods sake.........Ashton gate is a "business" set in a residential area with 20,000+ customers arriving every other week as well as the rugby, conferences, gigs etc......they have obligations and a duty of care to the community they operate in which includes transport/parking. They are hardly gone to advertise "yea its OK to rock up in your car and park in front of anyone's house within a mile radius'

The club are only responsible for advising you of the options........It's up to you to decide what is the best option for getting to and from the ground

it's not as if the club created a partnership with first bus, actively tried to get the p&R open in long ashton or pushed for a station at Ashton Gate halt when the stalling metro west finally gets off the ground or anything 

2 minutes ago, Monkeh said:

it's not as if the club created a partnership with first bus, actively tried to get the p&R open in long ashton or pushed for a station at Ashton Gate halt when the stalling metro west finally gets off the ground or anything 

Yea, what have the club ever done for me!! Maybe they should look into providing a 'magic carpet' with all season tickets........there's a bloke up Horfield with some contacts in the middle east.

2 minutes ago, Monkeh said:

Can anyone explain the reason why the P&R car park isn't available on non-Saturday match days? Is it because the council would deem this as encouraging car transport?

I've never understood the 'punishment' route to getting people out of cars. The alternatives for many are so bad that everyone (residents, supporters, day-trippers) just gets annoyed for years on end and still nothing good emerges as an alternative. I've used the Bris P&R but it's expensive for a family of four and after a slow exodus from the stadium, it's then stressful to have the uncertainty of waiting for the bus.

Bristol genuinely has the worst congestion issues of anywhere in the UK.

I usually leave home around midday to get a parking space reasonable easily on or around Coronation Rd. Then walk to North St and find somewhere to eat, or go to the concourse and buy food and drink there. But with the undoubted hassle there will now be to park, I will cycle, at least while the weather is ok. Only takes about 30 mins, so will eat at home and leave around 2pm. 

Just my own personal example of how this could affect North St trade and at the ground. I doubt that I will be the only one to change their routine. 

2 hours ago, Rudolf Hucker said:

We visited relatives a few weeks back, who live in Aubrey Road - not far from the site of the old Luckwell club. They are not covered by the RPZ. It was a Sunday afternoon; no event on at AG yet there was hardly any parking to be found. Unusually, I had to park streets away from their house.

I asked them what was going on and they said that since the introduction of the RPZ to Southville, residents from there with more than one car in their household, rather than paying for additional permits, have taken to parking their vehicles in the non-RPZ areas then being ferried back by a partner. Often their cars will be left there all week! Hence parking in the non-RPZ areas has become a nightmare for residents - and that's before the football or rugby seasons start!  

Parking around AG will be very difficult during the season ahead. Well done Marvin.

You know what they there don’t you,a RPZ.

20 minutes ago, Frenchay Red said:

I usually leave home around midday to get a parking space reasonable easily on or around Coronation Rd. Then walk to North St and find somewhere to eat, or go to the concourse and buy food and drink there. But with the undoubted hassle there will now be to park, I will cycle, at least while the weather is ok. Only takes about 30 mins, so will eat at home and leave around 2pm. 

Just my own personal example of how this could affect North St trade and at the ground. I doubt that I will be the only one to change their routine. 

Well said, people will have to either pay to park or park further afield. All of this will have a detrimental effect on trade in the area i.e. people not staying later for food and drink.

25 minutes ago, RedRaw said:

Yea, what have the club ever done for me!! Maybe they should look into providing a 'magic carpet' with all season tickets........there's a bloke up Horfield with some contacts in the middle east.

I appreciate your having a bit of a joke

But in all seriousness the Club do need to be thinking hard about anything they can do to help solve or ease the problems 

We are their customers and it’s ok having a lovely stadium and a decent level of football but the reality is getting to and fro AG is undoubtedly the biggest hassle of the day for the majority and we do and will gradually lose supporters due to it

49 minutes ago, Monkeh said:

16 minutes ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

But in all seriousness the Club do need to be thinking hard about anything they can do to help solve or ease the problems 

We are their customers and it’s ok having a lovely stadium and a decent level of football but the reality is getting to and fro AG is undoubtedly the biggest hassle of the day for the majority and we do and will gradually lose supporters due to it

I refer you to Monkeh's post above

20 minutes ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

the club have done, pretty much everything with in its power short of building a multi story car park

18 minutes ago, RedRaw said:

:10_1_108:I refer you to Monkeh's post above

14 minutes ago, Monkeh said:

the club have done, pretty much everything with in its power short of building a multi story car park

I wouldn’t argue different

What I was trying to say it would remain high on my list , as a Club , to continue to seek solutions

The reality is that any solutions come at a cost which then becomes a significant factor for some / many and thus solves one problem but creates a different one

34 minutes ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

I wouldn’t argue different

What I was trying to say it would remain high on my list , as a Club , to continue to seek solutions

The reality is that any solutions come at a cost which then becomes a significant factor for some / many and thus solves one problem but creates a different one

other then building a carpark there isn't a solution, 

1 minute ago, Monkeh said:

other then building a carpark there isn't a solution, 

Don’t want to get into a long debate Monkeh but that’s not actually correct

Im not saying what’s viable or wat the club have to do

But , for one example , they could provide or supplement (in co operation with first bus if necessary) an enhanced park and ride system

As I’ve said they may not be viable unless supplemented financially and it’s certainly a difficult one to ease let alone solve but there are ‘options’

1 minute ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

Don’t want to get into a long debate Monkeh but that’s not actually correct

Im not saying what’s viable or wat the club have to do

But , for one example , they could provide or supplement (in co operation with first bus if necessary) an enhanced park and ride system

As I’ve said they may not be viable unless supplemented financially and it’s certainly a difficult one to ease let alone solve but there are ‘options’

They've already got a partnership with first bus,

Just now, BobBobSuperBob said:

Sounds like it could do with an upgrade then

first have only got a finite number of buses, so its really out of the clubs hands 

1 minute ago, Snufflelufagus said:

They need to run direct bus routes from other areas. St George, hanham etc.

its a football club not a bus company

1 hour ago, Undy English said:

Well said, people will have to either pay to park or park further afield. All of this will have a detrimental effect on trade in the area i.e. people not staying later for food and drink.

Councils do NOT give a t0ss about local business or what business owners have to say. It happened in Kingswood high street years ago. The council decided one way was the future with no viable street parking anywhere unless you go all the way back around and know where you are going. Many shops closed down and businesses gone skint due to lack of footfall within months of it being implemented. Attend a council meeting and say your piece only to get told they have done in depth studies with someone in Edinburgh or the like and it's job done. 

Seeing as we have marvellous Marvin to try and sort something out, you know nothing will ever get done. Stevie Wonder can see a lot more than that muppet.

2 hours ago, The Bard said:

They may say they have, but they actively avoided additional requirements for parking which were attached to the planning permission for the stadium redevelopment.  They also make parking in the local area worse by not giving parking spaces to Community Trust and other employees whilst leaving the car park half empty Monday to Friday.   Sorry but 'It's the Council's fault' is far too simplistic in explaining the issue.

I agree, we had 3 gates over 25k and the club then decided that number of people in stadium not tickets sold was the criteria. Just means the problem has been delayed for another year or until the club can’t wiggle out of meeting its requirements. 

I drive down from Manchester for home games about 10 to 15 games per season. Unless I leave at stupid o clock now I’m never going to be able to park anywhere.

park and ride is ok but only so many buses and when you’ve got to drive back last thing you want to do is stand around waiting for a bus if it actually comes.

As a former season ticket who gave it up a year ago, I've all but given up on attending midweek night games. With traffic and the hassle of parking 30 mins away its just not worth it to rush out of work to make the game on time. No public transport from where I work in Thornbury could dream of getting me to the Gate on time.

I refuse to pay £10 for parking, that is such a disproportionate amount to the ticket price. Or pay however much for the P & R to be left in the cold after the game.

Totally selfish attitude I'm sure but it's reality and if the club don't find some workable solution then I agree our crowds will suffer.

I've not been in any park and ride anywhere so this might be stupid but

At the moment i arrive at ashton gate about 1.15 for a 3pm kick off to park in an area within the RPZ - looking at the Long ashton park and ride web site it seems that the requirement is to use the park and ride so what's to stop me arriving at 1.15 as usual, paying to catch a bus to the centre (£4 return) coming straight back and then walking down to the gate. I would i think have fulfilled their contract?

It sounds too simple as somebody would have come up with the idea before but i thought i'd ask

1 hour ago, cidercity1987 said:

As a former season ticket who gave it up a year ago, I've all but given up on attending midweek night games. With traffic and the hassle of parking 30 mins away its just not worth it to rush out of work to make the game on time. No public transport from where I work in Thornbury could dream of getting me to the Gate on time.

I refuse to pay £10 for parking, that is such a disproportionate amount to the ticket price. Or pay however much for the P & R to be left in the cold after the game.

Totally selfish attitude I'm sure but it's reality and if the club don't find some workable solution then I agree our crowds will suffer.

Agree entirely r.e. mid week games. Far too much hassle a lot of the time, especially with work etc the very next day.

What I don't understand with Bristol is that they don't get geared up for anything. 20k+ people on a regular basis is a huge crowd. Why they don't have rows and rows of public buses, park and rides etc waiting to shuttle fans out of the area at full time? Public transport is so bad at the best of times, so in order to convince people to leave the car at home, you got to make it an attractive option. Nobody wants to wait on a cold, packed bus stop for 30 mins after the game, so have tons of transport ready and waiting to clear the area. In an hour or less the job would be done.

2 minutes ago, Undy English said:

Agree entirely r.e. mid week games. Far too much hassle a lot of the time, especially with work etc the very next day.

What I don't understand with Bristol is that they don't get geared up for anything. 20k+ people on a regular basis is a huge crowd. Why they don't have rows and rows of public buses, park and rides etc waiting to shuttle fans out of the area at full time? Public transport is so bad at the best of times, so in order to convince people to leave the car at home, you got to make it an attractive option. Nobody wants to wait on a cold, packed bus stop for 30 mins after the game, so have tons of transport ready and waiting to clear the area. In an hour or less the job would be done.

Too simple. Let's have an London underground style tube system instead.

1 hour ago, Snufflelufagus said:

that is one of Marvins plans isn't it. We will be playing in the Solar System division 3 against Mars United before that is up and running.

The only way we’ll benefit from anything the clown has to offer is if we relocate to Filton 

6 hours ago, Undy English said:

Man City away was this. Never seen so many buses sat waiting to ferry people away after the game. 

Brilliant organisation. Unfortunately we are light years behind progressive areas like Manchestaaaaaa. 

Archived