IGNORED

Rob Green to Chelsea

Taz

1 minute ago, Taz said:

Announced this morning. That has to go down as one of the most strangest transfers of the summer....

Bet he can't believe his luck!

Can imagine his agent calling him....

So, Mr Green, how would you like a couple of million quid for doing nothing? You won't even have to play.... Seriously. I'm not pulling your leg. Straight up. 3rd choice at Chelsea. 

55 minutes ago, Taz said:

Announced this morning. That has to go down as one of the most strangest transfers of the summer....

Bet he can't believe his luck!

Bit like Richard Wright to Man City a few years back just to sit in the stands and pick up a wedge of cash.

1 hour ago, Angmering Red said:

Did the same thing at Huddersfield last season, signed 1 year contract and didnt play a game, so he must be really good at it....

I would be just as good at that and would be cheaper

A lot of people are taking the piss, but it's actually quite clever.

It's a great opportunity for Robert Green, and Chelsea would rather have an older backup option than an academy hopeful that's not playing any games.

if anything, it's much smarter than what we've done in the past by having young keepers with potential be "understudies".

8 minutes ago, Midred said:

Another buy to loan for their portfolio?

Why on earth would they do that? The bloke's 38 years old. He's hardly going to go out on loan for a big fee, or to prove his worth and come back to Chelsea to fight for his place in his 40s.

I don't understand the confusion over this deal, or the Lee Grant one. Clubs often have veteran goalkeepers as third choice, it makes way more sense than blocking the development of a kid, or having someone in their prime get pissed off with not playing. They're experienced, cheap, third choice goalkeepers who most likely won't even kick a ball, but will be content with their role, and offer valuable experience in the dressing room and training.

Edit - I assume you are joking, but the point stands in response to other posts. Probably shouldn't have quoted you directly.

8 minutes ago, Coxy27 said:

Why on earth would they do that? The bloke's 38 years old. He's hardly going to go out on loan for a big fee, or to prove his worth and come back to Chelsea to fight for his place in his 40s.

I don't understand the confusion over this deal, or the Lee Grant one. Clubs often have veteran goalkeepers as third choice, it makes way more sense than blocking the development of a kid, or having someone in their prime get pissed off with not playing. They're experienced, cheap, third choice goalkeepers who most likely won't even kick a ball, but will be content with their role, and offer valuable experience in the dressing room and training.

Edit - I assume you are joking, but the point stands in response to other posts. Probably shouldn't have quoted you directly.

He's still two years younger than James was when we signed him for the number one spot here.

5 minutes ago, Major Isewater said:

He's still two years younger than James was when we signed him for the number one spot here.

True, but hardly relevant. Rob Green isn't signing here, if he was signing for us he would probably be first choice!

3 hours ago, Grey Fox said:

Think Chelsea are in serious danger of becoming the new Arsenal, not sure Abramovich is still as interested as he was before

The lack of progress on his visa is said to have massively pissed him off. Rumours about that he will pull the plug on chelseas new ground etc

It must drive him mad that manchester City have achieved what he has always dreamed of chelsea being (football style wise).

Archived