IGNORED

Why so difficult to sign a keeper ?

Major Isewater

40 minutes ago, bengalcub said:

Loads of candidates just never a priority for little Lee ... if ff boots it out the ground unnecessarily v florist I’m gonna lose my sh** .......

Then list them..! Or some of them at least..! 

Which names do you have on this list of “loads of candidates” who are realistic, affordable, yet proven first team keepers, with experience at, or above our level, or who are massively rated lower league keepers but haven’t been snapped up by anyone else, who aren’t going to break the bank, and want to come to us...??!

I think the answer is “not many”! Which is probably why we are/we’re looking abroad. 

1 hour ago, Eastside Moonwalker said:

Still crazy to me that Joe Hart and John Ruddy haven`t found clubs yet also Newcastle last time I checked had 4 keepers on their books

They both have clubs, Ruddy will be on the subs bench for Wolves when the season starts in The Prem & Hart may be third choice but he is under contract to Man City on a fortune.

These two are extremely unlikely to be in BS3 any time soon.

Newcastle actually have 5 senior keepers, whether any of them would want to join us or we can afford what they earn may be another matter.

A lot of guesswork on here.

As far as I am aware the club has made it plain they were looking for a goalkeeper.

We assume but don't know that he will be a replacement for Fielding and not Steele.

We assume the club don't reckon Max is right for the no 2 spot yet. We assume the club want to lend him out.

We know the club have used a Finnish trialist and therefore are reinforced in our view that we are still looking

Fielding's injury has highlighted the need to sign

Maybe the club is happy with the Finn and are finalising a deal as we type 

Maybe the club has lost out on some, as reports suggest, but may still be in for others.  Maybe the club is simply waiting for another club to sign a goalie before releasing an existing one for transfer or loan

I trust  LJ to get one at least over the line by ko day.

2 hours ago, Major Isewater said:

There must be hundreds of quality keepers out there how come it's so difficult to sign one ?

This always used to be an easy position to fill .

A. It depends on what you want. B. It then is up to how much the club is willing to pay for that skill set. 

The answer to B has been far less than players in any other position who do not even make the bench.

2 hours ago, Murraysrightplum said:

Mooooooooore strikers!!!!!!

In my head I have this image of Lee Johnson doing a 1980's style tv advert. 

"Got a problem you can't fix? The solution - throw more strikers at it!"

16 minutes ago, bcfcredandwhite said:

I hate playing in goal. 

Its a particular type of person who likes it - and they are rare. 

If the Goalkeeper gets called into action it’s because the other 10 players have failed. 

After the referee it’s the hardest position on the pitch imho. 

Aye. It sure is a lonely place. 

4 hours ago, formerly known as ivan said:

Seems like the issue is more around what value to put on a keeper as opposed to not being able to find one good enough 

3 hours ago, wendyredredrobin said:

Thing is, you may pay £1 million for a keeper who can save you a goal a game, but how much would you have to pay for a striker who scores a goal a game.

3 hours ago, Bar BS3 said:

A goal keeper will very, very rarely win you a football match. 

They can certainly help to stop you losing one, but to win matches you need goals scored. Hence the difference in values. 

2 hours ago, Red Army 75 said:

Sorry I worded it wrong. It is the most important position. Just think the club doesn’t see it that way 

You may all find this article interesting https://www.economist.com/game-theory/2018/02/09/why-footballs-goalkeepers-are-cheap-and-unheralded

Quite stat heavy and a little out of date now given the fee that Allison just went for, but it essentially lays out the theory that even the best goalie in the world isn't worth even half what the best striker is worth.

I personally believe a keeper (and defence) is the most undervalued part of building a successful side. 

Most fans always think the most important player to sign is someone who scores goals, they often disregard the value that a solid defence brings.

I'm a firm believer of "you win titles with clean sheets" and although it may be entertaining scoring 4/5 goals a game, it is more likely you'll be successful with a solid defence rather than someone who scores 20 goals a season and a defence that leaks more goals.

Surely it's beneficial to even spend 3/4 million on an excellent keeper, when to find the equaivallent quality striker would probably cost around 10 million. 

Anyone who thinks a keeper isn't a key position needs a serious re-think. If there is one player on the pitch who can change the game both for the better or worse by themselves it's the keeper. 

I'd love to have a solid signing between the sticks, it's been so long I'm actually starting to miss Basso. 

Because imo we have a keeper who is hard to replace. Frankie is underrated imo, wasnt there a stat released at the end of the season that put him in the top 5 keepers in the division? Or am I dreaming? His obvious weakness is his kicking, but his shot stopping is right up there with any keeper in the Championship. I would also expect him to be a great pro to have in your squad. Don’t get me wrong, if City can find a better keeper, happy days. But just don’t think it will be as easy as some think.  COYR 

3 hours ago, bengalcub said:

Loads of candidates just never a priority for little Lee ... if ff boots it out the ground unnecessarily v florist I’m gonna lose my sh** .......

If we seriously think we are going to find a keeper who can pick players out with 50-60 yard balls (and under pressure at times) a la a Emerson or even anywhere in sight of his standard (And is also a decent keeper in his primary role)

I honestly believe

1 We will find it very hard to identify a keeper who can do that and is happy to play in Championship

2 I don’t believe we could win the race to sign him , or afford him , or be prepared to pay the fee that would be demanded

can anyone honestly suggest such a keeper ?

Im starting to fear that we will throw a lot of money at a keeper who is actually not markedly better than FF

1 hour ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

If we seriously think we are going to find a keeper who can pick players out with 50-60 yard balls (and under pressure at times) a la a Emerson or even anywhere in sight of his standard (And is also a decent keeper in his primary role)

I honestly believe

1 We will find it very hard to identify a keeper who can do that and is happy to play in Championship

2 I don’t believe we could win the race to sign him , or afford him , or be prepared to pay the fee that would be demanded

can anyone honestly suggest such a keeper ?

Im starting to fear that we will throw a lot of money at a keeper who is actually not markedly better than FF

Agree. Most people seem to assume LJ wanted to replace FF... perhaps the plan was always to have FF as first choice? Now his injury makes things tricky was we suddenly need a reliable  number one.... who is likely to end up as back up. 

There’s no update on how long FF will be out - if it’s only a few weeks what’s wrong with giving O’Leary a go? He can always be loaned in January.  The one time I saw him play for Solihull last season he was superb.

1 hour ago, Simon79 said:

Because imo we have a keeper who is hard to replace. Frankie is underrated imo, wasnt there a stat released at the end of the season that put him in the top 5 keepers in the division? Or am I dreaming? His obvious weakness is his kicking, but his shot stopping is right up there with any keeper in the Championship.

he was outside of the top five for shot stopping and the top five for best keeper.

I think it's simply a case of experience. Generally you have a number one and the rest are largely an unknown quantity - like Max O'Leary. This means there aren't many more than 92 keepers playing regularly in the football league's and Premier League, whereas outfield players rotate much more or share positions on the field- CB's, CM's, ST's etc. 

Archived